Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #46
Stevie Belmont

Bill Mott is a world class horseman.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #47
castaway01

Never thought I'd even see a thread knocking Mott as a horseman. Wow.

And thanks for that profitable secret angle that isn't, you know, profitable.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #48
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
I heard from a very reliable source, one that is close to Bobby's barn...Humberto is happy to have Midships, and hopes to get a few more horses...he is dealing with the barn changes pretty well.

I guess time will sort it all out. I hope that Juddmonte will give him more horses, and he does have some from other owners.

He was named the 'Trainer of the Meet'...and that makes me very happy! Ventura was named 'Horse of the Meet'...Bobby would have been so proud.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #49
toussaud

true story:

I co founded and run an internet web development firm. About 5 months ago I had a client that had a pretty nice sized job that we were going to work on for him. We did all the prep work and then soon poof. he just disappeared. I was upset but it happens, you deal with it.

Well it turns out, one of my better programmers, who was talking to the client from time to time, told him he could do the work at his normal rate, outside the company. This "saved" the client about 35% of the budget.

Well long story short, 3 weeks ago, the programmer came clean to me and told me what happened (I had my suspecions) and basically begged me to help him turn the project around becuase he coudlnt' deal with the client, now the client was threatening to sue him becuase of breach of contract.

I didn't fire him, because quite honestly, i can't fire someonef or doing something I would have done as well. Plus, I knew he was a good programmer but I also knew the guy does not have what it takes to deal with the clients we deal with.

I'm an above avg programmer myself, but I have guys on my staff that could (and do) run circles around what I'm capable of doing. But technical skill, and in this case, horsemanship is only part of the equation.

The avg horse owner is well off, usually a business owner, used to getting his own way, more often than not clueless about horses and horseman ship, and all want to win the kentucky derby, 3YO or not. The avg owner doesn't understand you told him to buy this yearling for 150k and now you want to dump him in a 20k claimer. The avg owner gets a bill every month and you re telilng him that the horse needs rest! are you serious?

so, just becuase the guy knows how to train.. they still made the right call. although I think one could have done better than mott.
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #50
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toussaud
true story:

I co founded and run an internet web development firm. About 5 months ago I had a client that had a pretty nice sized job that we were going to work on for him. We did all the prep work and then soon poof. he just disappeared. I was upset but it happens, you deal with it.

Well it turns out, one of my better programmers, who was talking to the client from time to time, told him he could do the work at his normal rate, outside the company. This "saved" the client about 35% of the budget.

Well long story short, 3 weeks ago, the programmer came clean to me and told me what happened (I had my suspecions) and basically begged me to help him turn the project around becuase he coudlnt' deal with the client, now the client was threatening to sue him becuase of breach of contract.

I didn't fire him, because quite honestly, i can't fire someonef or doing something I would have done as well. Plus, I knew he was a good programmer but I also knew the guy does not have what it takes to deal with the clients we deal with.

I'm an above avg programmer myself, but I have guys on my staff that could (and do) run circles around what I'm capable of doing. But technical skill, and in this case, horsemanship is only part of the equation.

The avg horse owner is well off, usually a business owner, used to getting his own way, more often than not clueless about horses and horseman ship, and all want to win the kentucky derby, 3YO or not. The avg owner doesn't understand you told him to buy this yearling for 150k and now you want to dump him in a 20k claimer. The avg owner gets a bill every month and you re telilng him that the horse needs rest! are you serious?

so, just becuase the guy knows how to train.. they still made the right call. although I think one could have done better than mott.
I have no idea what point you are trying to make. But, considering the way Juddmonte operates, who would have been better for them? I ask, because I'm kind of confused how people are taking Mott's ability into question in this thread. You didn't per se, but you think they could have done better. So who would have been better for an operation that is mostly turf based and specializes in quality over quantity.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #51
toussaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
I have no idea what point you are trying to make. But, considering the way Juddmonte operates, who would have been better for them? I ask, because I'm kind of confused how people are taking Mott's ability into question in this thread. You didn't per se, but you think they could have done better. So who would have been better for an operation that is mostly turf based and specializes in quality over quantity.
if you can't get my point after reading that you are simply trying to pick a fight. it's clear as day what my point is. go run along and play somewhere.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #52
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
if you can't get my point after reading that you are simply trying to pick a fight. it's clear as day what my point is. go run along and play somewhere.
Juddmonte isn't the typical horse owner. You said one could have done better than Mott. I asked who would have been better. It's not a difficult question.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:26 AM   #53
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Either answer the man's very rational and polite question or don't. If anyone seems to be picking a fight in this instance, I think it might be you.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2009, 08:05 AM   #54
tribecaagent
Veteran

Linda Rice.
tribecaagent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #55
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecaagent
Linda Rice.
She's a good trainer, but she specializes in turf sprints and New York State Breds. Not exactly Juddmonte's bread and butter.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #56
toussaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Either answer the man's very rational and polite question or don't. If anyone seems to be picking a fight in this instance, I think it might be you.
sure

Last edited by toussaud; 12-24-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #57
DanG
Easy Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Belmont
Bill Mott is a world class horseman.
Period…the end.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #58
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
I still think Humberto should get at least 4 or 5 Juddmonte horse to train...but I understand the point that maybe he wouldn't be as good as an established trainer as far as dealling with owners...there is more to being a trainer than sending the horse out in the morning...I sure don't know Humberto, so I guess I really can't say one way or another.
But...I have no problem with Mott...he's a top trainer and the man has a ton of class...and he sure knows how to train turf horses...it's his forte!!

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #59
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
sure
I'll help you out. There are other guys who might be able to handle the job also, although Mott is more than qualified. People forget Mott was main trainer for the Paulson operation for a long time. That stable was very similar to Juddmonte. Almost all of the horses are homebreds. Their focus is turf, although they have had some high quality dirt runners. But, most of all, they are patient, loyal outfits.

Guys like John Sheriffs, Neil Drysdale, Dick Mandella, Angel Penna would all have been good choices also. But Bill Mott takes a back seat to no one, in this country at least in terms of training and horsemanship IMO.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #60
andymays
Veteran

Opening Day at Santa Anita in the 10th race #5 Ad Infinitum (2yo Storm Cat colt and a first time starter) is a Juddmonte runner trained by Humberto Ascanio.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply