Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #31
Kelso
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indulto
how to read the DRF? That kind of stuff belongs on DVDs; and tracks, ADWs, and data suppliers should be offering free DVDs on how to handicap, view races, etc.

<snip>

Much better to watch races, paddock inspections, review equipment changes, point out real trouble in replays, etc. Make it worth paying to watch even if one isn't betting the race.
Two bullseyes for Indulto! Important points for helping one progress beyond novice ... and attracting/holding an appreciative audience.

Racing channels could make good use of screen crawls to tie "reminders" or "teaching points" to what has been shown/said in live action.

Example: Results of a race include a "dead heat." Define the term at the bottom of the screen. Maybe put up a stat about dead heats in general and/or at the instant track, or perhaps about trends in dead heats.

Example: Results are delayed while stewards look at the photo or review an objection. Explain what they're doing, including pertinent definitions, with one or more crawls.

Example: Explain mud caulks or define dappling or identify a noteworthy physicality handicapper, perhaps including small pictures, if and when such are mentioned during a paddock inspection.

Nothing wrong with doing most of the teaching ... and opining/predicting/touting, for that matter ... in the morning. Leave the afternoons and evenings to UNINTERRUPTED live racing; the more the better. Repeat whatever's most important from the prior day (and/or show Australia/Asia races live - not sure about the time zones) for the overnight audience.

I'd pay for a TV service that actually taught me something solid about racehorses, racing and handicapping. Start with the basics (and repeat regularly) and build from there. I'm not at all interested in what alleged on-air "talent" thinks about the next race.

From what I've read here at PA, the only worthwhile service at present is the expensive track-feed package.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #32
njcurveball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso
Leave the afternoons and evenings to UNINTERRUPTED live racing; the more the better.
For the core betting crowd this is fine. To attract new fans, pretty much death to racing.

Can you imagine ESPN doing poker without any color or commentary? How bout Monday Night Football? Could you watch for 3 hours with someone just doing the play by play? Baseball? Other sports?

If the show is done right like Mountaineer, it adds not only to the enjoyment of the casual fan, but also the experienced handicapper. I personally think racing has become too complicated for the "weekend warrior" who perhaps was breaking even or winning at their home track and now tries to follow 6 or 7 at once.

I do agree with you that there should be a channel dedicated to JUST showing races. Perhaps with a scroll at the bottom giving odds and post times of races coming up or those that are tape delayed. Just do not think that would be a way to "save racing".
njcurveball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #33
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcurveball
How bout Monday Night Football? Could you watch for 3 hours with someone just doing the play by play?

YESSSSSSS!
They did that once in late season - a Jets game.
No announcers, only the voice fro the stadium. The camera shots were FAR superior to the crap we get now. Best game I ever watched. Amazin how very littel we actually "see" in a telvised game. Really filled up the time now filled with drivel from has been players and coaches.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #34
Kelso
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcurveball
Can you imagine ESPN doing poker without any color or commentary? How bout Monday Night Football? Could you watch for 3 hours with someone just doing the play by play? Baseball? Other sports?
"Uninterrupted" doesn't mean "silent." Nor does it mean "unattended."

There is always the track caller, hopefully supplemented by chicklets, during the race ... and REPORTING (not discussion) of the results (including reasons for delays of same) immediately following the race.

After that, there's room for Indulto's suggestion of identifying/replaying/discussing CRITICAL events (IF ANY) of the race. Then on to the next race.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #35
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso
"Uninterrupted" doesn't mean "silent." Nor does it mean "unattended."

There is always the track caller, hopefully supplemented by chicklets, during the race ... and REPORTING (not discussion) of the results (including reasons for delays of same) immediately following the race.

After that, there's room for Indulto's suggestion of identifying/replaying/discussing CRITICAL events (IF ANY) of the race. Then on to the next race.
5x,
I appreciate your support.

How many people watching a race at the track through binoculars experience the clarity and nuance gathering enjoyed by off-track observers on giant TV screens. Racing, like football, is better suited to TV, especially with simulcasting increasing the opportunity for -- and frequency of -- action, betting or otherwise.

And why queue up for screw-ups at betting windows or expensive fare at concessions (for which you have to avoid contact and spills), when you can comfortably situate yourself for superior sustenance while employing your PC to handicap, wager, and link to associates world-wide?

Socializing, being there for a monumental event, and seeing champions up close -- in the paddock as well as on the track -- are the only compelling reasons IMO for attending live anymore. I'm hoping Mondays at SA will prove that premise false.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2007, 06:47 PM   #36
gIracing

the reason horse racing isn't ooking like poker... people tune into ESPN and everyone else and have the proecption that horse players are boke degenrates, and they tune into poker after dark and see players playing for huge sums of money and living the "good life". if I weren't a fan and didn't have anyone to show me this great game I'd be one of thoose guys looking at horse racing like that.
gIracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2007, 10:54 PM   #37
cmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I bet at home, so if I bring people there to watch me scream at jockeys in my underwear, that will help racing?
LMAO!!!!!
cmoore is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2007, 01:06 AM   #38
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIracing
the reason horse racing isn't ooking like poker... people tune into ESPN and everyone else and have the proecption that horse players are boke degenrates, and they tune into poker after dark and see players playing for huge sums of money and living the "good life". if I weren't a fan and didn't have anyone to show me this great game I'd be one of thoose guys looking at horse racing like that.
Yeah, but what the general audience doesn't know (and isn't told), is that many (if not most) of those poker players you see on TV are 100x more degenerate than any horseplayer you'll ever meet....many of them spend half the year broke, looking for others to stake them....

If you spend any serious time reading up on the world of poker, you'll find that many of the same stats apply as they do to other ultra-competitive, highly rewarding endeavors (poker, handicapping, traders)....only a very, very small percentage of players in each of these games are consistent, long term winners. That includes poker....
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 AM   #39
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Yeah, but the image TV gives is that poker is glamorous and racing is all about ladies hats.

And do that many ESPN viewers even read?