Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #61
Stillriledup
Veteran

Here's what i don't get.

If there's 0 pct chance anything that happens at the start is dq-able, why even put the inquiry up in the first place? Why even bother looking at it?

Once you put up the inquiry, you're essentially saying its a DQ-able offense and if its a DQ-able offense, how does it NOT come down?

Know what im saying?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #62
ArlJim78

Moreno got double teamed, first by Bayern then Toast of New York clocked him for good measure. I've seen less bumping at a demoltion derby.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #63
pandy

It was an obvious DQ, no doubt about it. What a horrible classic and the start ruined the race. Bayern should have been taken down not only for his infraction but for completely screwing up the biggest race of the year. He eliminated two of his main rivals including his only pace rival. What a joke.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #64
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
It was an obvious DQ, no doubt about it. What a horrible classic and the start ruined the race. Bayern should have been taken down not only for his infraction but for completely screwing up the biggest race of the year. He eliminated two of his main rivals including his only pace rival. What a joke.
AND, the horse he crashed into he has a history of interfering with.....interfering with ON PURPOSE.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #65
ArlJim78

Remember it was a Baffert horse that tried to take out Shared Belief in his prior race.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #66
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Nobody made up any ground at all. Did this track flip again?
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #67
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I think I have seen enough horse racing for this lifetime.
I had the place horse 6 units to place and 12 units to show.
And I still don't want to ever watch another race.
Especially on a dirt track.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #68
Track Phantom

Most insulting thing I've ever seen in racing.

Didn't have an impact on the outcome? Hmmm....

Ask yourself this, what odds would Bayern gone off at if I would have told you he had a fairly easy, uncontested lead and the other two speeds, Cigar Street and, more notably, Moreno, were cut off and basically eliminated?

2-1
Old 11-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #69
Beachbabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Here's what i don't get.

If there's 0 pct chance anything that happens at the start is dq-able, why even put the inquiry up in the first place? Why even bother looking at it?

Once you put up the inquiry, you're essentially saying its a DQ-able offense and if its a DQ-able offense, how does it NOT come down?

Know what im saying?
That's what I dont get.
Bayern bothered a few horses but they say it didn't affect Shared Belief's placing. Bull&&it.
Why put up the inquiry if they knew it was something that happened right out of the gate and that they would say it didn't affect a placing.
Beachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #70
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valento
Most insulting thing I've ever seen in racing.

Didn't have an impact on the outcome? Hmmm....

Ask yourself this, what odds would Bayern gone off at if I would have told you he had a fairly easy, uncontested lead and the other two speeds, Cigar Street and, more notably, Moreno, were cut off and basically eliminated?

2-1
Too speculative. The stewards can't assume tactics

Had SB finished closer, he would have come down.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #71
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbabe
That's what I dont get.
Bayern bothered a few horses but they say it didn't affect Shared Belief's placing. Bull&&it.
Why put up the inquiry if they knew it was something that happened right out of the gate and that they would say it didn't affect a placing.
Because the whole world is watching.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #72
classhandicapper

I understand the inclination to not DQ horses in major races & also understand the extra leeway given at the start of races. However, Bayern took out the 2-1 favorite and the only other quality speed in the race in one huge bump. I have long argued that DQs should be rare & obvious. But if you don't DQ Bayern there, then no horse should ever be DQ'd for an infraction at the start of a race ever again. That call practically encourages riders to take out their major foes at the start.

For the record, I didn't have a bet on the race. So this is not sour grapes. IMO it's just another inconsistent call. If the calls were consistent, you'd at least know what you were up against. We obviously need some national standards for DQs so people don't have to come away from races feeling like they got screwed.

All that said, Bayern is a terrific horse. He's probably better than I gave him credit for. But IMO he's not the best 3yo in the country. He's had extraordinary good fortune with biases and trips in all his major wins except the Woody Stephens. I really hope the voters realize that CA Chrome and Shared Belief are superior racehorses when it comes time to give out year end awards, but I doubt it.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #73
Bigadam119

Was there really a speed bias in the BC races today?

Also Parx should be happy with the Classic/distaff combo.

Last edited by Bigadam119; 11-01-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Bigadam119 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #74
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I understand..... that CA Chrome and Shared Belief are superior racehorses when it comes time to give out year end awards, but I doubt it.
Interesting thought, but I don't believe the Eclipse voters would disqualify the horse when the SA stewards didn't.
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #75
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I understand the inclination to not DQ horses in major races & also understand the extra leeway given at the start of races. However, Bayern took out the 2-1 favorite and the only other quality speed in the race in one huge bump. I have long argued that DQs should be rare & obvious. But if you don't DQ Bayern there, then no horse should ever be DQ'd for an infraction at the start of a race ever again. That call practically encourages riders to take out their major foes at the start.

For the record, I didn't have a bet on the race. So this is not sour grapes. IMO it's just another inconsistent call. If the calls were consistent, you'd at least know what you were up against. We obviously need some national standards for DQs so people don't have to come away from races feeling like they got screwed.

All that said, Bayern is a terrific horse. He's probably better than I gave him credit for. But IMO he's not the best 3yo in the country. He's had extraordinary good fortune with biases and trips in all his major wins except the Woody Stephens. I really hope the voters realize that CA Chrome and Shared Belief are superior racehorses when it comes time to give out year end awards, but I doubt it.
Good post. To set the record straight, there's no "leeway" because the official response from the judges was that it didn't affect the outcome. This means, if the outcome was affected in their mind, they take the horse down, they don't leave it up under the guise of "let them play" out of the gate.

Also, there's history of this trainers horse bothering Shared Belief on purpose. Now, i don't know about any of you, but to me, that's a factor, even if i wouldn't say it publicly, i would think about it in my mind as i was making the call.