Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #61
bobbyt62

i've heard witty comments from the australians, south africans and british callers (could somebody post the mountaineer guy mentioning that "xyz" is staying like a mother in law in a head to head duel) , but that's not my number 1 (or 2 or 3) criteria. nearly all the foreign guys earned their bones calling bigger fields--including the COMPLETE finish (doubt any americans could do it)with occasional comments of a otb finisher ---and they pick up trips , on average, much better than the domestics. they also have a idea of visual assessment of equine physicality while running ( i dont) , which not only lets you know where you stand in todays race, but is valuable next time out. most domestics favor a "show biz" call--the imports favor nuanced, informative call. but, alas, i can't imagine that any would have ever come up with the great durkins "ARRRRRRR......"
bobbyt62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #62
Robert Fischer
clean money

thank you for the reply

looking forward to checking out your work - and as I will naturally be looking at the replays or live action as well - who knows, I may (or may not) be tempted to add to my wagering menu.

Nice to hear from someone in the race-calling industry, who is still on the rise. You still have quite a bit of candor.

good luck
Old 08-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #63
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt62
(could somebody post the mountaineer guy mentioning that "xyz" is staying like a mother in law in a head to head duel)
That legendary line was masterfully executed by Michael Wrona in reference to Itsallgreektome's win in the 1990 Hollywood Turf Cup. It has been in mothballs ever since.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #64
bobbyt62

peter , you're a top shelf announcer--we're lucky to have you at the mountain. i must be imaging the mother in law comment, but you get the idea. you and many other imports, along with a few domestics, provide great calls AND observations. observations are underrated by the show biz types, and they usually call large fields poorly. go to youtube and listen to johnson do it, then durkin------even if you forgive the blown call of the winner, listen to the body of the call------durkin gets in a big "derrrr-by" at the beginning, then proceeds to do nothing but "a is 1st, b is second, c is third, etc" until the stretch, which he then blows as he goes crazy on the first few. johnson does everything durkin does, gets the 1/2 fraction, gives inside/outside position, many other trip notes (papa clem is under a ride), and picks up the winner in bad conditions effortlessly, AND names the first 6 finishers under the wire. but durkin will always have ARRRRRRRR.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #65
Vinman

With respect to Tom, I'll take every one of his "imperfections" in exchange for such priceless gems as introducing the trainer of Tizway before yesterday's Whitney....."H....James....Bond"......in his best deep British baritone.

Simply the best after all these years.

Vinman
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #66
Robert Fischer
clean money

cliche's >>>>>>>> trip notes

as a player I'd prefer the announcer didn't point out all the trip-notes ,

What i PERSONALLY like from an announcer??
  1. ORDER
  2. MOVES OF CONTENDERS
  3. HAS GOOD "DELIVERY": bullets explains
  • GOOD VOICE (SMOOTH CONFIDENT INTONATION EASY ON EAR)
  • CADENCE - HAS A RHYTHM -very important
  • TIMING (we throw Timing in everything else, why the hell not)
  • INTONATION - technically accents fall under here. And an ACCENT can be great if it's smooth confident rhythmic etc...
Like i said I want to know "BLACK BEAUTY is fourth", I want to know "she is moving up on the rail" and say it "when it happens"

The public doesn't need to know that BLACK BEAUTY is rank with her ears pinned back.
For the announcer that has to say these things - I hope your skill with such subtleties is average and that the public does an awful job with the really subtle good tips, because It's a pari-mutuel game and i'm doing homework.

I'd RATHER hear really well done GIMMICKS than really well done subtle TRIPNOTES...

a GIMMICK or 5 or 6 can be great for an announcer's career.
just make it a GREAT ONE.
listen to the BIG DOGS and their GIMMICKS
start by copying them to a tee. Same voice delivery words etc(of their gimmick). (like DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!!!!!!!!!! for example)
copy imitate practice ---> then try your own
it is SO important that any good announcer should PERFECT at least one that is his trademark CALLINGcard (if you will )

and also several little ones that represent frequent happenings...

is there something , anything that happens so much it bores even you??
maybe it's a track bias thing, where they all stampede into the first turn
theres a STAMPEDE into the first turn"!!!! (i admit that was weak and wasn't thought out)
or maybe the same thing different perspective where that frequent move so often eliminates an outside contender -- "JOHNNY OUTSIDE SPEED is taking a WALK ON THE WIDE SIDE! after the turn!"

it's corny... it's superficial

but fans and execs will remember you
they may remember you as "the guy who does the fun rapid-fire thing on the backstretch!" but at least they remember you

most successful people who speak to crowds through microphones for a living have a few "calling" cards

reversal = a negative or annoying gimmick can SUCK

people love the Fairgrounds announcer, but there's something he does with TENSE that drives me to mute.

i listen so rarely, this may be off - but for example the 5 will be roaring up the outside and he will call something like "the 5 WAS closing" but he does it much worse than that several times a race... maybe his fans or detractors will speak up!

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 08-07-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #67
bobbyt62

toms great at trainer introductions, wordplay, and telling you the name of the horse with a 2 length lead at the 1/16 pole. if i can see it, by god, so can tom. reminds me of the durkin fans posts of "......i wonder what tom will say if {insert name of horse} wins..." ...thats the criterion of the durkin camp--hey, you guys gotta winner..........ARRRRRRRRRRR!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #68
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
toms great at trainer introductions, wordplay, and telling you the name of the horse with a 2 length lead at the 1/16 pole. if i can see it, by god, so can tom. reminds me of the durkin fans posts of "......i wonder what tom will say if {insert name of horse} wins..." ...thats the criterion of the durkin camp--hey, you guys gotta winner..........ARRRRRRRRRRR!
yea he's one of the greats.
Have you heard craigbraddickyet ?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #69
bobbyt62

i don't think so---have any links ?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #70
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Hey bobby and bobby, you're supposed to share the bong, not bogart it...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #71
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
didn't sound like him @ ARapahoe today so here is a youtube from his site
CB - feel free to suggest another
[yt="craigbraddick"]oPzOvcUqsmU[/yt]
Old 08-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #72
craigbraddick

Quote:
I included a link in an earlier post.

Compared to my dog I am indeed a great announcer...on my day.

Craig
Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #73
pktruckdriver
Sunny Daytona Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
yea he's one of the greats.
Have you heard craigbraddickyet ?

Yes where is he now? ZIA?
pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #74
bobbyt62

where is he now ...zia ? a meaningless ?criticism? as openings to call thoroughbred runners in the us are very limited, and as in the case of nyra, calcified in place. even the worst guys aren't bad enough to get rid of (unless someone will accept less), as in the view of management, they don't attract money to the windows--and that's not a disparagement to any of the guys. why would turfway ever get rid of battaglia, a "legacy" hire, unless someone would accept much less? no one bets or doesn't bet on account of the announcer. the daily horseplayers chew it over, it's grist for the mill, but durkin's got the "in" with nyra, as did cassady (actually a favorite of mine due to his flat style, though he was overall average). trent dilfer won a superbowl and tom durkin calls nyra.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #75
davefulche

Does anybody here factor in goosebumps? I am a huge sports fan. I feel like an announcer during the big moment or big play or after the big moment or big play can have a huge effect on that moment being etched in your mind.

I want to hear the excitement in their voice.

I have gotten goosebumps from the following announcers Tom Durkin, Trevor Denman, Vic Stauffer, Larry Collmus, Keith Jones, John Curran and Dave Rodman. Part of it is that the race has to mean something...normally a stakes race but sometimes it can be a race that you for a nice score on a pick 3 or pick 4. Or sometimes it's a stirring stretch duel.

Btw how can anyone diss on "Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!". The races are about some fun too and that was great fun and gave everyone a laugh.

Lastly, overseas announcers call finishes through the rest of the field like the Micromachines guy speaks.... I could care less give me a call for the winner and give me something to remember.