Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #46
NY BRED
GARY

Tom Durkin

[nailed,MINE THAT BIRD. but yeah, he did say---"ARRRRRRRR" so yeah, he's great.[/QUOTE]

Ok, so you don't appreciate Durkin's wit, or his ability as an announcer and let you visualize the race(in his prime and even TODAY) without looking at it.

Name an announcer that is or was the Gold Standard, and I'll be stop ranting.

NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #47
MickJ26

I'm not implying that it's easy, but, just about any veteran race caller can correctly and accurately call the race. What makes Durkin great is his ability to recognise the ebbs and flows of the race with some perfectly timed adjectives. I can close my eyes and know exactly what happened. So what he gets tongue tied every now and then, we all do.
MickJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #48
NTamm1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick

And as such an icon, I know I (in the unlikely scenario I become the NYRA Announcer) would be more than happy to have him back in the booth to call races from time to time to please his many fans...if he feels up to it and wants to do so.
Making comments like the ones you have pretty much make that remote prospect impossible.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #49
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Tom Durkin, in his prime, is the standard that all announcers will be measured by. He was, quite simply, the best ever.
This is ONE opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it...but your "matter-of-fact" tone does not make it a fact.

There are more than a few informed opinions out there which contradict yours...

For one...check out James Quinn's book "ON TRACK/ OFF TRACK: Playing the horses in troubled times (pages 122-126)"...where Quinn is just as emphatic about DENMAN, as you are about Durkin.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #50
craigbraddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
Making comments like the ones you have pretty much make that remote prospect impossible.
I do not think so. I may be wrong but I think the zeitgeist at the time will indicate NYRA want an American Announcer.

If my calls are up to the standard they need to be by then, of course I will think they should hire me.

Also there is a very good chance whoever does get the job will open up jobs at other places.

Craig
Old 08-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #51
ArlJim78

I can't believe how people will throw out Denman's name, as if he were as good or better than Durkin. every horse on the lead is "loping along with his ears pricked". god that gets old.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #52
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Maybe we should have an "announcer of the day" - pick a different track and race each day, and then come here and critique the race call?

At my home track, Hastings, a few people think the announcer (Dan Jukich) is great, a few people don't like his calling, and the vast majority don't care
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #53
speldedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
It's not his comments that will keep him from getting the NYRA job, but his race calling.
speldedo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #54
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
I do not think so. I may be wrong but I think the zeitgeist at the time will indicate NYRA want an American Announcer.

If my calls are up to the standard they need to be by then, of course I will think they should hire me.

Also there is a very good chance whoever does get the job will open up jobs at other places.

Craig
Explain.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #55
craigbraddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by speldedo
It's not his comments that will keep him from getting the NYRA job, but his race calling.
Thank you for listening!

Craig
Old 08-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #56
craigbraddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
Explain.
As an immigrant to the USA, it would seem to be if there is one state that likes to show the world it is American, it would be New York. Nothing wrong with that, btw.

NY has always been welcoming to us overseas types (as history shows.) It is a place that in many ways defines what America is, what its people are (at least to the rest of the world) and is loud and proud of showing of that fact to the world.

But I do think the odds are in favor of the next NYRA Announcer being American. If I am good enough by then, I would love to be there as the Announcer. But it is not a career goal for me. My goal is be the best race caller I can be and work at tracks I love and work enough to make a living!

Craig
Old 08-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #57
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
As an immigrant to the USA, it would seem to be if there is one state that likes to show the world it is American, it would be New York. Nothing wrong with that, btw.

NY has always been welcoming to us overseas types (as history shows.) It is a place that in many ways defines what America is, what its people are (at least to the rest of the world) and is loud and proud of showing of that fact to the world.

But I do think the odds are in favor of the next NYRA Announcer being American. If I am good enough by then, I would love to be there as the Announcer. But it is not a career goal for me. My goal is be the best race caller I can be and work at tracks I love and work enough to make a living!

Craig
In some aspects of life, yes, New York exhibits what it is like to live in America -- or to be "American" -- more than the other states, but not in many aspects. (Thanks for noting that it is OK.)

Secondly, there is nothing in your post that backs up your inane contention that the next NYRA announcer will be American. (By that, of course, you mean a native-born American.)

I don't get where you're coming from with this thought.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #58
Robert Fischer
clean money

Mr. craigbraddick -
Hey man...
It seems you are a track announcer
[(and this I know because I have seen you mention it a few times on here, the name doesn't ring a bell) <-- this aside is only meant for perspective - - and of perspective it's only meant to introduce mine, and not to suggest yours in any way whatsoever.]

btw - where do you announce??

I'm sure you don't know me either. My official "hat" would be horseplayer.
If I meant hat in the literal sense, it would probably be a crumpled-up, sweat-stained, rain-washed, colored-on... give-a-way from the Haskell.
Those are magical hats! Something like £3,000,000 bet on £1,000,000 animals and everybody wears a £1 hat. A party favor more than a giveaway.

anyway I'm here in this thread not as a horseplayer, but as curious to where you call at, and as a random loudmouth who feels the need to throw in their 2 cents about anything and everything(picture a cheap fedora )...
Not sure I would recommend the passive campaign strategy for the NYRA job. Some of those questioning and commenting on you will just be in "snide remark mode" and may try in small ways to make it look like you dislike American calls, make it look like you think you personally have less shot at NYRA because of an accent(i'm assuming here , you may not have an accent who knows...), try to make you look defensive, or just plain argue ... all for the sake of an internet thing to which they really have little interest in your race-calling. These Durkin threads tend to have a few who generally like or dislike TD, and then a few who try to inflame each group with troll comments. I'm sure(or pretty sure) that if you are trying for the NYRA job, "your people" have been on the phone with "their people"... I would guess if that is the case, you probably would be very guarded with commenting on the situation.

As far as NYRA's position?? I can only guess that they would want the propaganda that TD is one of the best, if not THE BEST of all time(not just of Yankees) and that we LOVE him from his successor who will miss the LIVING LEGEND and not try to out-do him but merely steer his great ship into a NEW ERA.
so if any of this is serious, I am sure you may want to guard what you say, and when you do say something it is important to put propaganda in front of reality.
Good Luck

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 08-07-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #59
craigbraddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
In some aspects of life, yes, New York exhibits what it is like to live in America -- or to be "American" -- more than the other states, but not in many aspects. (Thanks for noting that it is OK.)

Secondly, there is nothing in your post that backs up your inane contention that the next NYRA announcer will be American. (By that, of course, you mean a native-born American.)

I don't get where you're coming from with this thought.

Cardus:

It is just a feeling I have. Nothing more. No great conspiracy there and nor do I have any inside knowledge. In fact, in my life, I may have spoken to three people who work for NYRA and none of those conversations had anything remotely to do with race calling.

Just a gut feeling I have. I do not deny for a second it is inane. Guessing what a group of people may or may not do in four years time when they have a host of options open to them does not usually lead to heavily intellectual thinking!

I do have a thought out answer as to who I think should be the next NYRA Announcer. But on that one: "I plead the fifth" which I believe they say in America!!

Take care,

Craig
Old 08-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #60
craigbraddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
Mr. craigbraddick -
Hey man...
It seems you are a track announcer
[(and this I know because I have seen you mention it a few times on here, the name doesn't ring a bell) <-- this aside is only meant for perspective - - and of perspective it's only meant to introduce mine, and not to suggest yours in any way whatsoever.]

btw - where do you announce??

I'm sure you don't know me either. My official "hat" would be horseplayer.
If I meant hat in the literal sense, it would probably be a crumpled-up, sweat-stained, rain-washed, colored-on... give-a-way from the Haskell.
Those are magical hats! Something like £3,000,000 bet on £1,000,000 animals and everybody wears a £1 hat. A party favor more than a giveaway.

anyway I'm here in this thread not as a horseplayer, but as curious to where you call at, and as a random loudmouth who feels the need to throw in their 2 cents about anything and everything(picture a cheap fedora )...
Not sure I would recommend the passive campaign strategy for the NYRA job. Some of those questioning and commenting on you will just be in "snide remark mode" and may try in small ways to make it look like you dislike American calls, make it look like you think you personally have less shot at NYRA because of an accent(i'm assuming here , you may not have an accent who knows...), try to make you look defensive, or just plain argue ... all for the sake of an internet thing to which they really have little interest in your race-calling. These Durkin threads tend to have a few who generally like or dislike TD, and then a few who try to inflame each group with troll comments. I'm sure(or pretty sure) that if you are trying for the NYRA job, "your people" have been on the phone with "their people"... I would guess if that is the case, you probably would be very guarded with commenting on the situation.

As far as NYRA's position?? I can only guess that they would want the propaganda that TD is one of the best, if not THE BEST of all time(not just of Yankees) and that we LOVE him from his successor who will miss the LIVING LEGEND and not try to out-do him but merely steer his great ship into a NEW ERA.
so if any of this is serious, I am sure you may want to guard what you say, and when you do say something it is important to put propaganda in front of reality.
Good Luck
Hi Robert!

I have been announcing TB racing since 2009. Spent the last two years at Arapahoe Park. Was going to call at Yavapai this year until it got canceled. Will call at Zia Park this fall. Occasional fill-in caller at Mountaineer, Turfway and Charles Town. I am to race calling what a C-Note is to the national debt. But I hope that will change soon as people get to hear me more. If your life is really boring you can hear my ramblings at www.youtube.com/britishracecaller

Magical hats are good. So too is magical underwear!

No campaign from me, passive or aggressive for a NYRA job. It would be career suicide to act in such a way. Right now, anyone at NYRA who had even heard of me would be insane to consider me when there are better race callers than me out there. But in 2015, that may be different. That will depend on my level of hard work, ability and determination. Likewise for everyone else. Also, having been in the job for a couple of years, I think it is likely NYRA probably have a shortlist ready. Sure there might be additions or deletions as time goes by. But there is nothing I can do to alter that. Just try and deliver my best race calls and try to improve every day. What I do know is this: What NYRA want when Durkin retires is what NYRA will get!

As for people making comments...people are welcome to their thoughts. I do not dislike American calls, they are just different to what I am used too so I view them differently. It is hardly a startling revelation.

There are some US callers I think would be top grade callers where ever they were in the world, Dooley, Collmus and Chamberlain come to mind. Likewise for Peter Berry, Trevor Denman and Robert Geller. One day I think I can reach their standard. Of those six guys, four have become very encouraging and also critical when needed to help me improve. Believe me, I have a lot of respect for my elders.

Kind Regards,

Craig