Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #31
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick
Perhaps I am looking at a wider field than some, Paceadvantage.
It seems that you are, and I'm not sure why, considering Durkin has never called overseas. Why would any of us think of comparing him to that group?

In any event, I disagree with you.

I think he was without a doubt the best race caller in the USA while in his prime, bar none. Second place wasn't even close.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #32
craigbraddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
It seems that you are, and I'm not sure why, considering Durkin has never called overseas. Why would any of us think of comparing him to that group?

In any event, I disagree with you.

I think he was without a doubt the best race caller in the USA while in his prime, bar none. Second place wasn't even close.

I said he may have been if you go back and read what I said!!!

"Why would any of us think to compare him to that group?" Erm - I never claimed you should. I was offering my opinion from my experiences. But if someone on here is going to claim XXXXX is the best race caller ever, then you have to cast the net wider than the USA.

It's like the NFL calling the Superbowl winners, the "World Champions" it just does not wash with those of born overseas.

Craig.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #33
NY BRED
GARY

Tom Durkin

all of the banter because of a compliment?

In the full spirit of one of Mr D's most memorable calls at the Spa(where
I'll be shortly)

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #34
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY BRED
all of the banter because of a compliment?

In the full spirit of one of Mr D's most memorable calls at the Spa(where
I'll be shortly)

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
It's better than the sound of crickets, don't you think? There are plenty of boards out there where you can get that...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #35
the little guy

Tom Durkin, in his prime, is the standard that all announcers will be measured by. He was, quite simply, the best ever.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #36
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
Tom Durkin, in his prime, is the standard that all announcers will be measured by. He was, quite simply, the best ever.

Totally agree. Unlike others who seem frustrated by him recently, I am just glad I get to hear him still call the races. I watch the majority of the races on the computer and he is the only announcer for which I leave the sound on.
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #37
bobbyt62

of course durkin is the best-----he mentions a "xxx-gum" named horse is STUCK to the rail---VERY clever. when a horse named arrrrr runs, the great durkin says "ARRR-ARRR-ARRR" , just like a pirate. imagine. he just couldn't think of anything for, oh , just to pick a famous one that someone else nailed,MINE THAT BIRD. but yeah, he did say---"ARRRRRRRR" so yeah, he's great.
bobbyt62 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #38
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Durkin is not what he was, but who among us is? He is still pretty good. His biggest problem is he gets compared to his own high standard.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #39
The Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
100% agree. And I hate that he's fallen so far that "bubble gum" comments like this are now what he gets kudos for.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #40
The Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Durkin is not what he was, but who among us is? He is still pretty good. His biggest problem is he gets compared to his own high standard.
Could have said this about Sinatra, too, who hung around the party way too long himself.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #41
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk
Could have said this about Sinatra, too, who hung around the party way too long himself.
I think there is a big difference between Durkin at this stage, and say a Terry Wallace or Dave Johnson when they hung around too long. Those guys were embarrassing themselves. Tom isn't perfect, but he is still pretty good and at worst a top 5 race caller.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #42
ArlJim78

funny you should say that Hawk, I was going to say that Durkin is the Sinatra of race callers. subtleties in the voice and arrangements give them a hard to define quality, that sets them apart from the others.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #43
BMustang

Tom Durkin is the voice of New York racing, especially Saratoga.

He is not perfect, but close enough for my liking.

I have no bones with TD who is extremely professional and very personable in his calls. My only knock is on spills/breakdowns where he gets pseudo weepy - Come on, Man Up!

I was on the "Time To Go Terry Wallace" bandwagon, and rightfully that situation has been rectified. I do not think that Durkin, although aging and perhaps not at the top of his game as he one was, has begun the descent that Wallace experienced at Oaklawn.

Tom will know when its time to go, but until then enjoy a pro's pro. I rue the day that someone new will begin the day with "Welcome to SaraaaaaToga!!!"
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #44
The Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Those guys were embarrassing themselves.
He's getting pretty close if he's not there already. I just would hate to see his legacy ruined, and he should quit before that does happen. It's better if he leaves 2 years too early than a year too late.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #45
trackrat59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMustang
Tom Durkin is the voice of New York racing, especially Saratoga.

He is not perfect, but close enough for my liking.

I have no bones with TD who is extremely professional and very personable in his calls. My only knock is on spills/breakdowns where he gets pseudo weepy - Come on, Man Up!
I was on the "Time To Go Terry Wallace" bandwagon, and rightfully that situation has been rectified. I do not think that Durkin, although aging and perhaps not at the top of his game as he one was, has begun the descent that Wallace experienced at Oaklawn.

Tom will know when its time to go, but until then enjoy a pro's pro. I rue the day that someone new will begin the day with "Welcome to SaraaaaaToga!!!"

Man Up? You must be kidding. It's the worst outcome any race can have. Kudos for TD for having a heart.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: