Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #16
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
This is quite interesting to know though. Typed "Awww!" and iPad turned it into "Asses!" Maybe it is magic like they say in the commercials. Got to be wary of that auto correct feature when I'm communicating with someone worth my while.
It is blue-toothed to your mind!
Old 08-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
ShenanigansGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Asses! I "here" I rubbed a nerve. I am quite a loss what to say. 5th grade?
Bet you "no" enough to put a comma between "education" and "Jackass."
Old 08-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #18
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
It is blue-toothed to your mind!
I give you free rein to infer as you will, my good man!
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #19
porchy44

Where's the love
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #20
Stillriledup
Veteran

Durkin is a rock star in the world of racing and even aging rock stars miss notes once in a while. (yet their fans could care less, as long as they still get to hear them perform)

If you are a huge fan of an aging rock band (for example) and the old(ish) singer misses a note or two, its not going to keep you from still loving the band or going to the very next concert.

I'm sure Tom's fans feel the same way.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #21
craigbraddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Durkin is a rock star in the world of racing and even aging rock stars miss notes once in a while. (yet their fans could care less, as long as they still get to hear them perform)

If you are a huge fan of an aging rock band (for example) and the old(ish) singer misses a note or two, its not going to keep you from still loving the band or going to the very next concert.

I'm sure Tom's fans feel the same way.
The difference being that to miss a note during a song you and the fans know well is easier to overlook than a mistake and hesitancy in a race call.

Neither does a race caller making a funny comment about a horse and its position suddenly elevate a race caller in any rational mind back to that race callers once lofty heights.

Tom knows his nerves are on the wain. Once they go, the ability although capable of shining briefly, begins a decline. It is just the way it is and not just for race callers.

Here is a question for you to consider: "If you knew nothing about Tom Durkin or his accomplishments, would you say he still calls a race better than anyone out there?" I think the answer is no. In fact, I think the answer is still no if you ask: "Was he was ever the best ever race caller at any time?"

But if you were to ask: "Is he a beloved race caller who is still serviceable and "competitive" as a race caller as he enters his sixties?" Then the answer is a resounding "yes."

He is the Arnold Palmer of Announcers. Did Arnold play tournament golf for too long? Probably. But his fans followed him if he shot 90 or 70. I think Tom plans to retire after Saratoga in 2015. As long as there is not a major slide in his abilities. I think the timing would be perfect. As was his timing with the Triple Crown.

And as such an icon, I know I (in the unlikely scenario I become the NYRA Announcer) would be more than happy to have him back in the booth to call races from time to time to please his many fans...if he feels up to it and wants to do so.

A very wise and influential actor to me once told me: "Always leave the final curtain with them wanting a bit more." I think Tom will do just that.

Craig

Last edited by craigbraddick; 08-06-2011 at 04:44 PM.
craigbraddick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #22
sonnyp

always thought of the race caller being a reporter, the one who describes the activity. never have perceived any caller as a focal point or in any way part of the action. like in professional sports, somehow, the umpires and refs got confused and thought they were part of the show when they are not.

not really sure why any announcer, including durkin, should attract so much attention.
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #23
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyp
always thought of the race caller being a reporter, the one who describes the activity. never have perceived any caller as a focal point or in any way part of the action. like in professional sports, somehow, the umpires and refs got confused and thought they were part of the show when they are not.

not really sure why any announcer, including durkin, should attract so much attention.
Its the Oprah Winfrey phenomenon. A society we live in turns the anonymous interviewers into more stars than the stars they're interviewing.

Why we are fascinated by the anonymous sportscaster or interviewer rather than the stars themselves is a great question.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #24
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick
In fact, I think the answer is still no if you ask: "Was he was ever the best ever race caller at any time?"
Wow man. Didn't expect this one...

But everyone is entitled to their opinion. And I'm entitled to close these announcer threads once they start becoming like the 999 other announcer threads that exist on this site.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #25
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by llegend39
It does? How So? You NO NOTHING ABOUT ME OR MY EDUCATION JACKASS!
He doesn't have to. It's all right there in reply #2.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #26
craigbraddick

Perhaps I am looking at a wider field than some, Paceadvantage.

But in their prime I would take Peter O'Sullevan, Jim McGrath, Trevor Denman, Greg Miles, John Tapp, Ian Craig, Luke Kruytbosch, and four still in their prime, Michael Chamberlain, John Dooley, Robert Geller and Peter Berry as better race callers.

Tom may have been the best American caller and I am not disrespecting the guy. Just think the guys I grew up to listening when you measure their calls they are better.

Craig

Last edited by craigbraddick; 08-06-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #27
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Perhaps I am looking at a wider field than some, Paceadvantage.

But in their prime I would take Peter O'Sullevan, Jim McGrath, Trevor Denman, Greg Miles, John Tapp, Ian Craig, and three still in their prime, John Dooley, Robert Geller and Peter Berry as better race callers.
Tom may have been the best American caller and I am not disrespecting the guy. Just think the guys I grew up to listening when you measure their calls they are better.

Craig
So you're joking, right?
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #28
craigbraddick

Nope, it's just my opinion. Nothing more.

Rae calling evolved differently in the USA than it did overseas. And as I am from overseas, it would be natural I tend towards favoring that style of race calling.

Craig
Old 08-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #29
point given

Quote:
Nope, it's just my opinion. Nothing more.

Rae calling evolved differently in the USA than it did overseas. And as I am from overseas, it would be natural I tend towards favoring that style of race calling.

Craig
Sounds like you'd be more comfortable overseas , everything being as it is.
point given is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #30
craigbraddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by point given
Sounds like you'd be more comfortable overseas , everything being as it is.
Point Given:

That is an absurd statement.

For example, if I were Japanese, there is a higher likelihood I may like Japanese literature over American Literature. If I were French, there is a likelihood I would like French art work over American art work. If I were German, there is a likelihood I would like German Beer over MGD.

What does that have to do with being more comfortable overseas if each of those people chose to live in America?

If you read my original post, I compared Durkin to Arnold Palmer (an American). Considering I collect Arnold Palmer stuff and Palmer is the ONLY hero I have ever had, and every time I stare up from my PC I see my Arnold Palmer portrait and a signed hat in a shadow box, what does that tell you about the regard I have for Durkin? But that doesn't mean I think Arnold Palmer was the greatest golfer ever, I do not. I can think of at least 6 guys better.

Also, when you keep in mind, I married an American, took the time and financial investment to come to America legally and have remained here for ten years....I have to ask...

What makes you think I would be more comfortable overseas?

Oh I get it, I would be more comfortable overseas because I like race callers whose styles and calls set the standard I aspire too (and come short of.)

Barking mad assumption on your part!

Craig

Last edited by craigbraddick; 08-06-2011 at 07:30 PM.