Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Poll: Pick the Winner in the Photo Finish below
Poll Options
Pick the Winner in the Photo Finish below

Old 11-21-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
Dan H

Pick the Winner in this Photo Finish

Last edited by Dan H; 11-21-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Dan H is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
garyscpa

I voted the 1, but only because it looked like his head might still be going down. The 4's head might be coming up.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
RichieP

Inside horse - looks kinda clear from here
RichieP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
Bennie

My guess would definitely be the 1 horse. Jock is "riding" while the other is one hand riding with whip in hand, probably tiring horse with the 1 horse coming hard. Also the 1 is in full stide while the inside horse has shorter stride.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #5
andymays
Veteran

Outside.

Hollywood had a big problem last year with a race where the camera snapped the shot before they hit the line (It was a Machowsky runner involved on the turf I think). It was a big controversy for about a week. At first glance that looks like what happened here and it may have but I'm guessing outside.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
startngate

Difficult call from this pic, but the outside horse looks to be on the wire and the inside horse is not.

What makes it more difficult to see in this case is that the image is a JPG file, which means it has been compressed. This alters the image and can make it more difficult to evaluate the result on very close calls.

However, placing judges see the original un-compressed image on a high-res monitor to make their decisions, and likely it would be much easier to tell from that.

Looking at a screen capture from a video would be even worse, but based on the source of the pic, I'd guess it came from the photo finish system, and not from the video feed.
startngate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
phatbastard

looks like was on wire
phatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
startngate

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
Outside.

Hollywood had a big problem last year with a race where the camera snapped the shot before they hit the line (It was a Machowsky runner involved on the turf I think). It was a big controversy for about a week. At first glance that looks like what happened here and it may have but I'm guessing outside.
Photo finish camera do not 'snap a shot'. They do not operate like a 'normal' camera.

They are set up on the finish line and the shutter is opened up and stays open for the entire field to pass and then closed. What they do is record every horse passing a single point (the finish line) as they acutally pass that point. The film (or in this case the computer) runs at approximately the same speed as the horses are running, so each horse gets laid down on the image relative to each other as they pass the wire.

There are only two ways that for what you described to have actually occurred.

When evaluating a photo, the placing judges (or the photo finish operator) move the film (or computer image) through a stationary (and square to the image) line which represents the finish line. If they don't actually line up each horse's nose properly on that line there could in theory be an error. I can tell you on close photos there is a lot of care given to this process.

If the photo finish camera was not installed properly 'on the wire'. The camera would still have been accurate as to determining the order of finish at the point it was aimed, it just would not have been the 'true' finish line.

Last edited by startngate; 11-21-2009 at 09:40 AM.
startngate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by startngate
Photo finish camera do not 'snap a shot'. They do not operate like a 'normal' camera.

They are set up on the finish line and the shutter is opened up and stays open for the entire field to pass and then closed. What they do is record every horse passing a single point (the finish line) as they acutally pass that point. The film (or in this case the computer) runs at approximately the same speed as the horses are running, so each horse gets laid down on the image relative to each other as they pass the wire.

There are only two ways that for what you described to have actually occurred.

When evaluating a photo, the placing judges (or the photo finish operator) move the film (or computer image) through a stationary (and square to the image) line which represents the finish line. If they don't actually line up each horse's nose properly on that line there could in theory be an error. I can tell you on close photos there is a lot of care given to this process.

If the photo finish camera was not installed properly 'on the wire'. The camera would still have been accurate as to determining the order of finish at the point it was aimed, it just would not have been the 'true' finish line.

I know all that startngate and I appreciate the breakdown. You may want to search for aricles on the incident last year. It was a big controversy and I believe Mike Machowsky officially contested the photo. It was an unusual occurrence that nobody had seen before. It was also at Hollywood park and they put up photo's and took them down several times on their website after the complaints.

Thanks
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #10
Zman179
Registered Wacko

I voted for the 1 and my wife did the same. The 1 horse's nostrils are flared up and that's what made the difference.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
Bochall

I didnt have a bet on this race so who won the photo is of no consequence to me...i dont care.
Bochall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

I know the 1 was declared the winner. To me it looks like the photo is before the wire and neither horse touches the wire.

Frank Miramandi (sp) thought Talamo on the inside horse won, before posting of the results by the placing judges.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
A. Pineda

Although the was declared the winner, these old eyes see space between both noses before the wire, so it's a dead-heat for me.
A. Pineda is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #14
Greyfox

My problem with Photos with no background.

I'd say .
My problem with photos of this nature is that there is no background reference points. How do you know where this photo was taken and where the line was drawn? I've seen several instances this year when on the simulcast a horse wins by a significant amount and the photo says otherwise.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #15
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bochall
I didnt have a bet on this race so who won the photo is of no consequence to me...i dont care.
But you DID care enough to post on this thread. And if you choose to respond to this post, we will know you cared enough to continue following this thread too. Perhaps you care more than you think.

BTW, I agree with those other posters who believe that NEITHER horse has reached the finish line in the photo.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: