Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-06-2022, 05:59 PM   #1
Al Gobbi

HISA watchdog site launched

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today (July 6), Animal Wellness Action, the Animal Wellness Foundation, and the Center for a Humane Economy launched a new website designed to serve as a key element of a larger watchdog campaign over implementation of the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority (HISA).

The goal of the site is to ensure the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act is properly enforced and implemented. The site was made public this morning at: www.HISAWatchdog.org.

The groups, whose leaders have worked for the past seven years to stamp out race-day doping in the sport, announced the launch of their watchdog site on the heels of the Act’s July 1, 2022, effective date. Two of the groups’ leaders, Marty Irby and Wayne Pacelle have previously testified before Congress in support of anti-doping legislation and worked to enact the Act signed into law in December of 2020.
https://harnesslink.com/usa/watchdog...ety-authority/
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2022, 06:37 PM   #2
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

There is no satisfying the progressive agenda, in this or any other realm or institution. This is the beginning of the end.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2022, 07:03 PM   #3
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

It might help. I always believed in the saying that image is everything. This is another way of saying, "whoever has the most popular narrative, wins."
I listen a lot to sports talk radio. Usually on the Audacy ap, which is a dumb phone ap that broadcasts sports talk stations from around the country.One of the most popular "stations" they play is CBS sports talk. They almost never talk horse racing except during the triple crown. Usually when the kentucky derby(KD) is happening several of the hosts (it's 24/7 so there are many hosts) talk racing and sometimes have a guest. For the first time ever , this year two of the hosts responded to a caller who wanted to talk KD with a line "sorry I'm an animal lover I dont want to talk horse racing. Bob Baffert killed 72 horses....yada yada yada"

Maybe HISA will bring the narrative " Well that was before HISA., HISA fixed everything. " I know it's all BS but image is everything.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2022, 07:34 PM   #4
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
There is no satisfying the progressive agenda, in this or any other realm or institution. This is the beginning of the end.
The politics on this board are problematic when they make their way into the horse racing discussions....especially these days.

You likely say progressives because it suits your political leanings when in reality they are fringe organizations. They exist on both sides, and they are probably to crux of the problem....right or left.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2022, 10:49 PM   #5
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
The politics on this board are problematic when they make their way into the horse racing discussions....especially these days.

You likely say progressives because it suits your political leanings when in reality they are fringe organizations. They exist on both sides, and they are probably to crux of the problem....right or left.
agree...its the fringes that seem to get all the attention.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2022, 12:28 AM   #6
Parkview_Pirate

The takeaway, IMHO, is that politics is a part of racing, and it's less about any particular viewpoint and more about the money and corruption.

Yeah, it's not about right or left, it's about criminal behavior. And "the fringe" groups squawking about animal rights are definitely fringe. But that's a distraction.

Look past the smoke and the curtain. It's about the money.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2022, 07:06 AM   #7
Bustin Stones

HiSA is all about repairing horse racing's image which is so important for the sport to survive and thrive. There's no more corruption in racing than any other activity simply because so many are on the lookout.
The entire Damon Runyon/noir/LUCK mythology has shamed racing fans and done much to discourage an image of clean fun.
There's no more danger of gambling sickness in racing than slot machines or poker.
Horses are treated like prized heavyweight champs.
The folks employed in the industry are some of the finest caring people you'll ever meet.
HISA is all about erasing the image of corruption and animal abuse.
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2022, 07:27 AM   #8
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
HISA is all about erasing the image of corruption and animal abuse.
Well then it's a huge waste of resources because a new federal agency is not going to change anyone's attitude toward horse racing. At what point in the future will anyone be able to say, "See, racing isn't as corrupt and abusive as it used to be, because of HISA." Ain't gonna happen.

And no, there are not fringe groups "on both sides." Yes, the fringiest are the loudest, but I do not know of any conservative, anti-progressive, and/or reactionary groups that are on the fringe...unless you can label the HBPA's, the HHA's, and various racing commissions the fringe. And me. Maybe I'm out there. But a lone voice is not a group.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:56 AM   #9
classhandicapper

Fringe organizations don't matter much in the grand scheme of things....unless of course they have some power. A lot of them do. Reasonable people know what the image problems are. They can be addressed and fixed without letting the "enemy" in the door, giving them a voice, or even worse, adding to their credibility.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:42 AM   #10
the little guy

Quote:
Well then it's a huge waste of resources because a new federal agency is not going to change anyone's attitude toward horse racing. At what point in the future will anyone be able to say, "See, racing isn't as corrupt and abusive as it used to be, because of HISA." Ain't gonna happen.

And no, there are not fringe groups "on both sides." Yes, the fringiest are the loudest, but I do not know of any conservative, anti-progressive, and/or reactionary groups that are on the fringe...unless you can label the HBPA's, the HHA's, and various racing commissions the fringe. And me. Maybe I'm out there. But a lone voice is not a group.
Politics don't belong here....but since you started it....if you don't see fringe groups on the right you're either in one and/or willfully blind.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:16 AM   #11
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Who are the far-right groups, whatever that means, with regards to HISA and racing's image? I'm trying to keep it on topic, more or less.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:25 AM   #12
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
agree...its the fringes that seem to get all the attention.
That's a media thing.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:38 PM   #13
the little guy

Quote:
Who are the far-right groups, whatever that means, with regards to HISA and racing's image? I'm trying to keep it on topic, more or less.
So now it's about HISA only. I'm sure some of the many crazies on the right could have a tangential relationship at the very least. It's pretty clear from recent events that some of them are about taking away people's rights.

You took it off topic with your initial post in this thread.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:53 PM   #14
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

For me, it has always been about HISA only. I read the linked piece in the original post and responded.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:34 PM   #15
the little guy

Quote:
I must have misread this. Not sure how that happened.