Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-17-2021, 01:49 PM   #1
Andy Asaro

NYS Gaming Commission drops the hammer on Linda Rice. Good job

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 05-17-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
zico20

Here come the cries of sexism and that a man would have gotten a far less punishment.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:32 PM   #3
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
Here come the cries of sexism and that a man would have gotten a far less punishment.
There's always Dutrow to knock that nonsense down...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2021, 03:45 PM   #4
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
There's always Dutrow to knock that nonsense down...
I thought she would catch the same dime.
She got off light.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2021, 04:34 PM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

Surprised me.

I rememeber when this came up. Seemed like several years ago. Thought it had been overlooked.

With how valuable things like the overnight entries and the claim box stuff are, it seems natural that these type of things would be hard keep secure.

Didn't have an emotional opinion towards Rice, or this investigation. Have no opinion on whether I agree with the ruling, or not.

I don't have any special insight into Rice, or her team, beyond general handicapping stuff. Guess I'll follow along and see where the horses funnel to, or if there is a name trainer that inherits the same position/stable.
Old 05-17-2021, 04:57 PM   #6
classhandicapper

I'm not sure what the appropriate penalty is, but the severity of this one surprised me a bit.

To a large extent trainers already know most of the horses in any division they may enter a horse. They also know which race types are filling or not from previous experience entering their horses. They may even be asked to enter a horse to help fill a race from time to time. PPs and Speed figures for other horses are readily available for sale if you want them.

Obviously, being the only one (or one of a few) that knows exactly who is in the race just before you need to make a decision is an unfair advantage and problem, but I see this as less of a problem than drug positives that people get slaps on the wrist for or the times we strongly suspect drugs but can't even catch them and prove it.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:27 PM   #7
foregoforever

I'll have to go back and re-read the coverage of the hearings that were held some months ago.

I've always thought that the briber and bribee are equally culpable, and I found it disturbing that the two NYRA clerks provided this information for years and didn't seem to realize that what they were doing, and the gifts they were receiving, were inappropriate. And none of their supervisors seemed to be aware of it.

Of course, the hearing was about the action against Rice, not the clerks. The clerks were disciplined, and I assume the details of their sins were handled in internal NYRA proceedings, which may be none of our business. But it left me with questions about the supervision of the racing office that weren't answered.

I'm not a NYRA-basher. On the contrary, I'm a fan of their product and have had 100% good interactions with NYRA employees at the track. But the organization has a history of "lapses" on the management side, and I add this episode to the list.
foregoforever is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2021, 07:34 PM   #8
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

How many years will it be before she has exhausted all of her appeals and starts serving the suspension?

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2021, 08:23 PM   #9
Gander36

Paying to see which horses have entered a certain day race definitely can provide an advantage, but... What the heck was Linda Rice paying gate crew members to do? Geez...
Gander36 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2021, 09:23 PM   #10
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander36 View Post
Paying to see which horses have entered a certain day race definitely can provide an advantage, but... What the heck was Linda Rice paying gate crew members to do? Geez...
I have stories from Turfway Park about gate crews....
Old 05-17-2021, 10:40 PM   #11
davew

Is it a secret what horses are entered for races? I thought anyone licensed could go to the racing secretary and see the current entries, or is that only some states?
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2021, 11:29 PM   #12
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander36 View Post
Not sure if that was part of the investigation but if so, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that an inordinate amount of her horses were being loaded last into the starting gate before their races.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2021, 11:36 PM   #13
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Not sure if that was part of the investigation but if so, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that an inordinate amount of her horses were being loaded last into the starting gate before their races.
Don't think that's the problem....Too obvious.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:53 PM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Don't think that's the problem....Too obvious.
What else could it be?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2021, 12:19 AM   #15
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Not going to go there....Let's just see if any gate crew members end up being terminated or suspended.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: