Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #106
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
In regard to question A, if you don't know why after reading Craig's post, there's not anything I, or anyone else, could say that could satisfy your curiosity. And I'll leave it at that because I find the one liner quiz concept cryptic.
It had the feel of many, many posts in which people seem to feel confident affirming a public figure's goodness just because the person is well-known, and, well, he must be a swell guy. That's all.

Durkin's alleged response to Craig was magnanimous. Durkin might very well be a prince of a person, but I would not conclude that after one reported incident as if I were an expert on his character.

You're not alone in this type of post, by the way.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #107
Grits

Cardus, 'preciate you making me aware. Its been real.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #108
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
I feel your pain.

What if Craig's post was issued "while very pissed"? He'd get a pass, right?
I don't recall either asking for or needing a pass. I said I felt badly. How you wish to reconcile that is your business.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:58 PM   #109
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No!
Actually, I was kind of miffed when he suggested that Tom Durkin should hang it up, then suggested that perhaps he himself would replace him.

It was like a jock's agent saying that a horse his rider just botched the ride on was no count, then turning around and offering to buy the horse off the trainer a day later.
I don't know anyone that's ever done such a thing.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:09 AM   #110
pktruckdriver
Sunny Daytona Beach

Let me say also that Tom calls BINGO, for the backstretch people each week too, a little different than horse races , but he did it well. Now he did leave early the first night, but it was opening night, he had places to go and people and functions to attend. To me he is a very generous guy, and will go down as 1 of the all-time greats.

patrick
pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #111
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
I don't know anyone that's ever done such a thing.
There might be a small factual error or two in my post. Nevertheless, I hope it will still be considered for PA Post Of The Year.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #112
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
B) You ain't kiddin'.
Ya'll get on Craig and Vic's case for tossing around insults, yet you have no qualms about insulting me almost every single day...

I love you Cardus, I really do...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2011, 12:54 AM   #113
KingChas
2 outta 3 aint bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick
And once again he told me not to worry and do not read too much on the internet!
Sounds to me like Tommy D., is still on the ball.
KingChas is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2011, 01:08 AM   #114
Lasix67

I do not look forward to the day that Tom Durkins steps away from calling the races for NYRA. Not only for the reason he is such a huge piece of what makes Saratoga special, but especially considering my hometown race caller John Dooley will most probably be one of the first considerations to replace him or without a doubt on the short list, and I would hate to lose John as well. Until such time I will enjoy both and value each and every race they call that I have the opportunity to hear.
Lasix67 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2011, 01:19 AM   #115
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

If I'm not mistaken, Tom Durkin was a member of the old Prodigy horse racing bulletin board...so was Jerry Bailey...

I guess they learned their lesson early...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #116
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Ya'll get on Craig and Vic's case for tossing around insults, yet you have no qualms about insulting me almost every single day...

I love you Cardus, I really do...
This is good to wake up to. I'm ROTFL!!!!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 05:52 PM   #117
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick View Post
Hi Vic and everyone else:

Thank you for your rebuking. Evidently, I crossed a line that should not have been crossed. And I apologize to you and everyone else who thought it was inappropriate.

I was trying to be complimentary and balanced. I failed. I am sorry.

I am not going to argue it any further. Evidently, I am a minority of one in the interpretation of what I said. Which means (however well meaning I intended it to be) that what I said was wrong as it did not have the effect I wanted on the audience.

Please accept my humble apologies and I ask you all for forgiveness.

Craig.
SOUNDS GOOD
Old 08-08-2022, 06:00 PM   #118
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick View Post
The difference being that to miss a note during a song you and the fans know well is easier to overlook than a mistake and hesitancy in a race call.

Neither does a race caller making a funny comment about a horse and its position suddenly elevate a race caller in any rational mind back to that race callers once lofty heights.

Tom knows his nerves are on the wain. Once they go, the ability although capable of shining briefly, begins a decline. It is just the way it is and not just for race callers.

Here is a question for you to consider: "If you knew nothing about Tom Durkin or his accomplishments, would you say he still calls a race better than anyone out there?" I think the answer is no. In fact, I think the answer is still no if you ask: "Was he was ever the best ever race caller at any time?"

But if you were to ask: "Is he a beloved race caller who is still serviceable and "competitive" as a race caller as he enters his sixties?" Then the answer is a resounding "yes."

He is the Arnold Palmer of Announcers. Did Arnold play tournament golf for too long? Probably. But his fans followed him if he shot 90 or 70. I think Tom plans to retire after Saratoga in 2015. As long as there is not a major slide in his abilities. I think the timing would be perfect. As was his timing with the Triple Crown.

And as such an icon, I know I (in the unlikely scenario I become the NYRA Announcer) would be more than happy to have him back in the booth to call races from time to time to please his many fans...if he feels up to it and wants to do so.

A very wise and influential actor to me once told me: "Always leave the final curtain with them wanting a bit more." I think Tom will do just that.

Craig
I'm going out on a limb and saying this didn't age well.

Evidently you haven't either.