Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-24-2022, 12:39 PM   #151
foregoforever

LATimes: Baffert transfers 3 Derby hopefuls to Yakteen, 1 to Brisset.

https://www.latimes.com/_preview?_cm...4fb0000&_date=
foregoforever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2022, 01:06 PM   #152
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
What is the highest rating you have ever given a horse CJ?
This is since 2015:

Code:
Name	Track	Day	TimeformUS
Gun Runner	SAR	09/02/2017	141.66
Gun Runner	GP	01/27/2018	141.47
Flightline	SA	12/26/2021	140.96
Gun Runner	DMR	11/04/2017	139.94
Arrogate	SA	11/05/2016	138.87
Arrogate	GP	01/28/2017	138.86
Gun Runner	CD	06/17/2017	138.77
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2022, 01:14 PM   #153
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
This is since 2015:

Code:
Name	Track	Day	TimeformUS
Gun Runner	SAR	09/02/2017	141.66
Gun Runner	GP	01/27/2018	141.47
Flightline	SA	12/26/2021	140.96
Gun Runner	DMR	11/04/2017	139.94
Arrogate	SA	11/05/2016	138.87
Arrogate	GP	01/28/2017	138.86
Gun Runner	CD	06/17/2017	138.77
Thank you.
PalaceOfFortLarned is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2022, 01:27 PM   #154
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by foregoforever View Post
LATimes: Baffert transfers 3 Derby hopefuls to Yakteen, 1 to Brisset.

https://www.latimes.com/_preview?_cm...4fb0000&_date=
At least reality is being acknowledged and some of these interesting horses are out of TC points Purgatory
Old 03-24-2022, 01:44 PM   #155
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2022, 01:57 PM   #156
classhandicapper

If his horses wind up running very well in their final preps and earn the points needed to get in, at least the Derby won't turn into some kind of Haskell prep.
Old 03-24-2022, 03:12 PM   #157
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
If his horses wind up running very well in their final preps and earn the points needed to get in, at least the Derby won't turn into some kind of Haskell prep.
I am hoping CHRB subpoenas the agreements with the other trainers. This could be a sham.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2022, 03:25 PM   #158
Spalding No!

Quote:
Yep.

Hamstringing the long historical association between San Vicente also-rans and Kentucky Derby glory would have been needless collateral damage in this unfortunate storyline...
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2022, 03:36 PM   #159
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Yep.

Hamstringing the long historical association between San Vicente also-rans and Kentucky Derby glory would have been needless collateral damage in this unfortunate storyline...
If they were still trained by Baffert, I'd say you were underestimating the probability 1-2 could still take a significant step up between now and the Derby.

I'm sure a lot a people think Messier is a serious contender. I think he had the benefit of a track that favored him last time, but it was still a fast and dominant race. So he could still be a very good horse that jumped up for Baffert (as they often do) that just happened to also catch a favorable track.
Old 03-24-2022, 04:04 PM   #160
Spalding No!

Quote:
If they were still trained by Baffert, I'd say you were underestimating the probability 1-2 could still take a significant step up between now and the Derby.
What classic winner trained by Baffert stepped up dramatically from the ho-hum efforts similar to McLaren Vale and Doppelgänger between March and Derby day?

Justify? By all accounts was a freak before he ever started; Baffert even showed up to saddle him for his debut.

War Emblem? He certainly stepped up dramatically...for another trainer. Baffert bought him a few days before the 2002 Kentucky Derby.

His other classic winners (American Pharoah, Silver Charm, Real Quiet, Point Given, Lookin At Lucky, and Authentic) were all well established horses.

Baffert has certainly had some undistinguished horses jump up and win a late prep (e.g., Midnight Interlude), but as I said elsewhere, they have done nothing in the actual classic races.

Quote:
I'm sure a lot a people think Messier is a serious contender. I think he had the benefit of a track that favored him last time, but it was still a fast and dominant race. So he could still be a very good horse that jumped up for Baffert (as they often do) that just happened to also catch a favorable track.
I suppose Messier is vaguely reminiscent of Medina Spirit (who ultimately did not win the KY Derby) and even Real Quiet (who won a Grade 1 million dollar race as a 2yo), but any enthusiasm is tempered by the fact that he skipped a recent major prep likely because of physical issues.

That does not suggest he's moving forward or will even be able to repeat his last race (especially if he has to run against better horses than Cabo Spirit and Happy Jack).
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2022, 04:26 PM   #161
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Messier skipping the previous prep is reminiscent of Life Is Good skipping the Lewis last year. We'll see I guess, but sure does seem fishy. Of course with that one he couldn't run straight so it seemed pretty obvious something was amiss.
Old 03-24-2022, 04:54 PM   #162
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Messier skipping the previous prep is reminiscent of Life Is Good skipping the Lewis last year. We'll see I guess, but sure does seem fishy. Of course with that one he couldn't run straight so it seemed pretty obvious something was amiss.
Your numbers have Forbidden Kingdom and Messier tops thus far with Epicenter, Morello, and Classic Causeway just behind.

I'd love to hear your opinion on which one you believe is best.

Maybe a better question is, if those 5 showed up in a race tomorrow, who would you have as the favorite?

Last edited by PalaceOfFortLarned; 03-24-2022 at 04:59 PM.
PalaceOfFortLarned is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2022, 05:19 PM   #163
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
What classic winner trained by Baffert stepped up dramatically from the ho-hum efforts similar to McLaren Vale and Doppelgänger between March and Derby day?

I don't view it through a narrow lens like just the Derby. The samples are too small for my taste.

IMO his relatively lightly raced high quality horses are more likely to have very meaningful jumps in performance than for the average trainer. So I build that into my thinking when I bet. I've occasionally seen signals in the workouts, but I don't have any magic formula.

This group may turn out to be nothing special and develop slowly or Messier may be the goods. More than likely, I'll take a small stab against Messier in the SA Derby because imo that last race may not as good as it looks. However, if too many people are on "beat Messier" train, I won't be on board. I'll worry about that when the time comes.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-24-2022 at 05:21 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2022, 01:49 AM   #164
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Your numbers have Forbidden Kingdom and Messier tops thus far with Epicenter, Morello, and Classic Causeway just behind.

I'd love to hear your opinion on which one you believe is best.

Maybe a better question is, if those 5 showed up in a race tomorrow, who would you have as the favorite?
Probably Forbidden Kingdom, but I didn't spend a lot of time on something unlikely to happen. And if it does, I'll have plenty more time. 🤣
Old 03-26-2022, 10:42 AM   #165
classhandicapper

Quote:
Probably Forbidden Kingdom, but I didn't spend a lot of time on something unlikely to happen. And if it does, I'll have plenty more time. 🤣
One thing for sure is that if he goes, he's looks like the least likely to be able to relax behind horses. If the other speeds chase him it might get super hot like the old days. There are quite a few quality horses that I'd say like the lead. If I was a trainer I might be trying to teach my horse to relax a little right about now.