Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-12-2017, 11:38 PM   #331
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Bullshit. 22k write ins beat him.........

Those who organized the write in campaign......are responsible
There was a write-in campaign organized by Republicans. If that is what beat him, Moore is responsible for creating a situation where Alabama Republicans found it necessary to voice a protest to his candidacy. They wanted to make a positive statement against Moore rather than vote Democratic or not vote at all.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:43 PM   #332
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
This reminds me of the special election held in Massachusetts after Ted Kennedy died.Anti- Obama sentiment was near it's peak and the result was that Scott Brown, an unknown state senator from a sleepy corner of the state squeaked out a victory over the Democratic candidate (who had the opposite problem of Moore in that she was dull as dishwater).When the regular election came around Brown, despite leaving a highly favorable impression on voters, had his hat handed to him by Elizabeth Warren.I'm expecting the same result when Jones finishes the term, the GOP candidate, assuming he/she can put one foot in front of the other and not say/do stupid things should win easily.
And to continue the analogy, once defeated, Jones will run for Senate in Mississippi.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2017, 11:44 PM   #333
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
That's right, people were being forced at gunpoint to vote for third party candidates.

Isn't supporting candidates not put forth by the major parties all part of "draining the swamp"?
barahona, the 'respected' senior GOP senator from Alabama, Richard Shelby, made a very, very rare appearance on TV this past week and made it a point to say that he voted for a write-in candidate, and not Roy Moore.

Because Shelby is conservative in many ways the media usually ignores him because of his ideology. But since the willing Shelby gladly put the public knock on Moore, he got his face time.

Shelby could have kept quiet but he didn't. No class whatsoever. Shelby is just another GOP establishment useful idiot played like a fiddle by the liberal media.

Last edited by reckless; 12-12-2017 at 11:46 PM.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2017, 11:49 PM   #334
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
There was a write-in campaign organized by Republicans. If that is what beat him, Moore is responsible for creating a situation where Alabama Republicans found it necessary to voice a protest to his candidacy. They wanted to make a positive statement against Moore rather than vote Democratic or not vote at all.
Yep....Mitch McConnell got what he wanted
Old 12-12-2017, 11:55 PM   #335
ElKabong

The people of Alabama have voted, time to respect their choice. Hopefully Moore will have some class and concede.

My favorite bumper sticker is typed below, saw it on a SUV driving down the road. Obviously it was intended for snowflake Clinton supporters. It would serve a purpose for Moore supporters as well

He Won
Get over it
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2017, 11:56 PM   #336
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Luther Strange got re-elected?

I understand a lot of you folks are never ever EVER going to admit that you supported someone so toxic that he managed to lose to a Democrat in Alabama but the problem isn’t Mitch McConnell. Or Richard Shelby.

Alabama Judged Roy Moore. No one else.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:00 AM   #337
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
barahona, the 'respected' senior GOP senator from Alabama, Richard Shelby, made a very, very rare appearance on TV this past week and made it a point to say that he voted for a write-in candidate, and not Roy Moore.

Because Shelby is conservative in many ways the media usually ignores him because of his ideology. But since the willing Shelby gladly put the public knock on Moore, he got his face time.

Shelby could have kept quiet but he didn't. No class whatsoever. Shelby is just another GOP establishment useful idiot played like a fiddle by the liberal media.
Should the many Democratic senators who urged Al Franken to resign "kept quiet"?

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2017, 12:00 AM   #338
mostpost

Quote:
Bullshit. 22k write ins beat him.........

Those who organized the write in campaign......are responsible
Margin of victory right now 21,000. That means just about 95% of those write ins would have to switch to Moore. That would not happen.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:02 AM   #339
Clocker

Quote:
The write-in campaign appears to have no connection with McConnell or the RNC. It was started by a life-long Alabaman, a retired Marine.

Quote:
A retired Marine colonel and former top aide to White House Chief of Staff John Kelly has launched a write-in campaign in next month's Alabama Senate race, seeing an opening after multiple women accused Republican Roy Moore of sexual misconduct.

"I'm not happy with the two choices I had," Lee Busby said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on Tuesday. "I felt like there was a lot of people in Alabama who felt like me. The more I talked to, the more sense I got that there's this huge swath in the middle that feels like they're not represented there."
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/ele...-embarqmailcom
Old 12-13-2017, 12:12 AM   #340
Clocker

Quote:
Should the many Democratic senators who urged Al Franken to resign "kept quiet"?
At the risk of jumping to conclusions about ulterior motives, I would suggest that those Dems are motivated by political goals to improve the Dems ability to win in the 2018 election.

Shelby may have actually put principle over party here. Or he may be thinking on a higher level of strategy that Moore's loss would be better for the GOP in the long run.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:52 AM   #341
FantasticDan
gelding

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2017, 01:02 AM   #342
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Good. Probably better than the “Democrat wins Alabama; Hell Freezes Over” I would have rolled with.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:10 AM   #343
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Margin of victory right now 21,000. That means just about 95% of those write ins would have to switch to Moore. That would not happen.
Point taken 👍
Old 12-13-2017, 01:47 AM   #344
Clocker

Preliminary numbers indicate that GOP turn-out was less than normal, and Dem turn-out was greater than normal, especially among blacks. Jones is a former US Attorney.

Quote:
The former US attorney earned his reputation with the successful prosecution of two members of the Ku Klux Klan for a 1963 dynamite attack on a black church in Birmingham, Alabama.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/alabama-s...040025470.html
Old 12-13-2017, 07:34 AM   #345
zico20

Quote:
This reminds me of the special election held in Massachusetts after Ted Kennedy died.Anti- Obama sentiment was near it's peak and the result was that Scott Brown, an unknown state senator from a sleepy corner of the state squeaked out a victory over the Democratic candidate (who had the opposite problem of Moore in that she was dull as dishwater).When the regular election came around Brown, despite leaving a highly favorable impression on voters, had his hat handed to him by Elizabeth Warren.I'm expecting the same result when Jones finishes the term, the GOP candidate, assuming he/she can put one foot in front of the other and not say/do stupid things should win easily.
Jones will lose in two years handily, a minor setback for the GOP.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: