Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Luck

Beau Recall getting nipped in the Del Mar Oaks was my 6th losing photo today.

It's the difference between a losing day and being up a couple thousand. Obviously hard to quantify but all the work in the world doesn't matter if you're just going bad.

How do others get out of the funk?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #2
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post

It's the difference between a losing day and being up a couple thousand. Obviously hard to quantify but all the work in the world doesn't matter if you're just going bad.

That's a miserable day. I had a disastrous day as well. For me the best thing to do is walk a few miles.

Good luck tomorrow.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2017, 10:31 PM   #3
oughtoh

I take a couple of days off an start all over again. That is definately a tough day.
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

If was telling Greg I couldn't pick a winner for a month. Literally everything that could go wrong did. DQs, bad trips, bad rides, photos, you name it. On top of that, I was picking a lot of bad horses that didn't run at all. Maybe I pressed. Dreadful.

Then Thursday I hit both bets I made, 21-1 (Sar) and 16-1 (Dmr) and have kept rolling for three days now, including having the 10 that beat your 12. The first one at Sar was a horse I figured to close that went right to the front and just kept going and won easy. I guess that is a break and it seemed to turn my spirits.

It is a tough game and no real way to explain the swings. It doesn't feel like I'm doing anything differently. I think it is just a game you have to ride the highs and lows with an even keel. Easier said than done of course. I was stressing, no doubt about it.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2017, 10:45 PM   #5
GMB@BP

Quote:

Yea man that sucks. I was there all during the triple crown but snapped out of it lately.

Just got to trust your skills and over time it will all even out.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2017, 11:20 PM   #6
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
If was telling Greg I couldn't pick a winner for a month. Literally everything that could go wrong did. DQs, bad trips, bad rides, photos, you name it. On top of that, I was picking a lot of bad horses that didn't run at all. Maybe I pressed. Dreadful.

Then Thursday I hit both bets I made, 21-1 (Sar) and 16-1 (Dmr) and have kept rolling for three days now, including having the 10 that beat your 12. The first one at Sar was a horse I figured to close that went right to the front and just kept going and won easy. I guess that is a break and it seemed to turn my spirits.

It is a tough game and no real way to explain the swings. It doesn't feel like I'm doing anything differently. I think it is just a game you have to ride the highs and lows with an even keel. Easier said than done of course. I was stressing, no doubt about it.
Echo, echo, echo CJ's comments....I just went through a losing streak of 25 straight bets at 'Toga, broke the streak with a nothing $10 horse to stop the bleeding, and never did anything differently. Truth is, "You never know when you're going to win a race", and today I blast a $44 horse, back in the black.

Bottom-line, the point where you feel in the dumps is nothing but temporary, and you know this....Makes the sweet times even sweeter when you go through the droughts. It's just the cost of playing the game on a serious level, be a pro and shake it off, go get some tasty Chinese take-out and fuggetaboutit....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #7
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:

Final Copy at woodbine was lost photo #8 for the weekend. Awesome!
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2017, 08:20 PM   #8
whisperlunch

It's been an awful 3 weeks I'm losing the same way every race
My horse makes a big move to blow by and freaking inside horse comes back. It's happened a half dozen times. Or I have 2 -3 dq' in last few weeks. CJ great post.
whisperlunch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2017, 08:51 PM   #9
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Final Copy at woodbine was lost photo #8 for the weekend. Awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperlunch View Post
It's been an awful 3 weeks I'm losing the same way every race
My horse makes a big move to blow by and freaking inside horse comes back. It's happened a half dozen times. Or I have 2 -3 dq' in last few weeks. CJ great post.
The PA website is therapeutic for venting off your frustrations when you're running bad.....That being said, I'm sorry but no one cares.

Take my advice and order some tasty Chinese take-out, you'll feel better.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #10
098poi

I think it's important yet difficult to not take bad runs personally. You know the idea that you made all these wagers and lost must mean the Universe is conspiring against you! If someone says, "I opened a Twinspires account a month ago and haven't won once, 1 place and 1 show and that's it" then I would say that is not due to bad luck or a bad run but bad handicapping. If you got beat on a bunch of photos that means you are on the right track maybe just at the wrong time. But ultimately it has nothing to do with you. Take a deep breath, relax, regroup and try again.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2017, 10:43 PM   #11
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Slump buster!!
Old 08-20-2017, 11:58 PM   #12
olddaddy

I got excited, I thought the series was coming back. Darn.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2017, 01:44 PM   #13
zerosky

Some good advice in this thread, whenever I get periods like that I try to emulate Kipling in his poem 'If' especially the the line...

"If you... meet with Triumph and Disaster
... treat those two impostors just the same"

It took me a long time to treat those losing photo's, disqualifications etc with a zen like indifference.
zerosky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: