Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

View Poll Results: Who Offers the Best PPs
Equibase 70 9.07%
Brisnet 443 57.38%
DRF 259 33.55%
Voters: 772. This poll is closed

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #136
speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I know they do not. It's like the old joke, here are the baseball score today - 3 to 1, 5 to 4, 2 to 1.
Son of a b****, i lost all 3 games.

Last edited by speed; 02-22-2014 at 06:35 PM.
speed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #137
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I have no use for Formulator and never will.
I buy the Saturday form nowadays because the printed edition is by far the better value over downloading under any plan. Go figure? All in all, DRF is grossly over-priced.

I think they should pay attention to the Simulcast Daily, a paid service, that they have allowed to virtually disappear and totally neglect theses days. The Beyer Pars section - every track is a joke - missing headings in every one of them. I have reported this for two years now and given up that anyone there cares. I know they do not. It's like the old joke, here are the baseball score today - 3 to 1, 5 to 4, 2 to 1.

They advertise the Track Tends section but there is nothing there up to date.
BRIS has charts back years, DRF one year only.

Nice pars......too bad there is no sex or age for them......idiots!
Yeah, the missing DRF's Beyer pars for a lot of the races is a real pet peeve of mine - BRIS always has one, good or bad.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #138
nysbill

Best PPs

In my opinion BRISNET has the best PPs, especially the Ultimate PPs The issue with all of them is they don't provide guidance in using the PPs/Speed Numbers/ etc. There are a few simple steps an end-user can follow to be a better handicapper, but the providers don't offer guidance.
nysbill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #139
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I have no use for Formulator and never will.
I buy the Saturday form nowadays because the printed edition is by far the better value over downloading under any plan. Go figure? All in all, DRF is grossly over-priced.

I think they should pay attention to the Simulcast Daily, a paid service, that they have allowed to virtually disappear and totally neglect theses days. The Beyer Pars section - every track is a joke - missing headings in every one of them. I have reported this for two years now and given up that anyone there cares. I know they do not. It's like the old joke, here are the baseball score today - 3 to 1, 5 to 4, 2 to 1.

They advertise the Track Tends section but there is nothing there up to date.
BRIS has charts back years, DRF one year only.

Nice pars......too bad there is no sex or age for them......idiots!
I am opening an item on this as we speak because it's been a pet peeve of mine for a long time also. I can't guarantee when it will be addressed because there are so many hot projects under way already, but once it's documented it won't fall through the cracks anymore. Someone will be assigned to investigate and eventually fix it.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #140
elvinclones

best PPS

FORMULATOR by 31 lengths!
elvinclones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #141
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

I started with Bris and stayed with it. That's the reason. It's just what I use.

A lot of guys use the other two I know. DRF is probably my 2nd choice.
BettinBilly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #142
Kash$
Veteran

TimeformUS
Kash$ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #143
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysbill
In my opinion BRISNET has the best PPs, especially the Ultimate PPs The issue with all of them is they don't provide guidance in using the PPs/Speed Numbers/ etc. There are a few simple steps an end-user can follow to be a better handicapper, but the providers don't offer guidance.
Excellent post bill. If I don't have the time to go over the PP's--I just get the Bris summary. My main thing is speed....I look for a horse that can get me the lead to the 2nd call in a speed-biased sprint---at a price. Condition? If he's back in less than a certain amount of days, depending on the track and class level--he's good to go. Same if he's rated close up on class and prime.
You might think you have to spend time keeping records to figure out speed & rail biases....naw, look in the summary. It's all right there on 1 page.
So yes I use Bris and happy with it. If something else is working for you, great. If you also get yours free, even better
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2015, 07:39 PM   #144
ebcorde
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
Excellent post bill. If I don't have the time to go over the PP's--I just get the Bris summary. My main thing is speed....I look for a horse that can get me the lead to the 2nd call in a speed-biased sprint---at a price. Condition? If he's back in less than a certain amount of days, depending on the track and class level--he's good to go. Same if he's rated close up on class and prime.
You might think you have to spend time keeping records to figure out speed & rail biases....naw, look in the summary. It's all right there on 1 page.
So yes I use Bris and happy with it. If something else is working for you, great. If you also get yours free, even better

The Summary, how do you process the N/A and the Blanks spaces? I use it,but am wary of the data. Turf race, If a Horse has never been on Turf or if a Horse has never the distance. Bris considers the Horse irrelevant in the Summary.

Last edited by ebcorde; 10-04-2015 at 07:41 PM.
ebcorde is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #145
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcorde
The Summary, how do you process the N/A and the Blanks spaces? I use it,but am wary of the data. Turf race, If a Horse has never been on Turf or if a Horse has never the distance. Bris considers the Horse irrelevant in the Summary.
....N/A--just no data= 1st timers, long layoff, from another country, etc.
All the horses still get rated, ebcorde. The ratings are based on previous performance....so speed bias, quirin points, early figs are usually useless in turf routes---thats up to the user to figure out, but really just common sense. One tip I can offer--check the horse's *Avg Dist/Surf PACE-SPEED E1 E2*
Then check the PAR E-1 E-2 for today's race. If ONE and just ONE horse is above avg for the par...and is a price---you may have a good play
If there are 3 or more that are above par--then look for the highest avg LATE PACE horse...it's a single number. That means the race is too speed-heavy, and a late comer may win this.

If you have a summary for today's GGF...this method hit the DOC'S LEGACY in the 7th. Heavily speed weighted, too many over-par E-1..E-2 horses, so the play was the LATE AVG who rocked a 93 score. You have to insist on a price for these methods.
BTW....I learned about looking at the PACE SUMMARY from a poster here....but I don't think he pays to advertise his wares on here

Just as I was posting this.....another summary horse hit @ GGF in the 9th: BELLA CATERINA TOP E-1 E-2 AVG $12.80 6.20 5.00

Last edited by NorCalGreg; 10-04-2015 at 08:25 PM.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2015, 12:10 AM   #146
357VEGAS

1. Does anyone know if you can download DRF classic or formulator, Bristnet into a database?

2. Does anyone use a tablet and mark up the PP using some kind of PDF editor and are able to save it, just as if you were handwriting a paper form.

Thanks

357VEGAS is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #147
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

BRIS has single or multi data files you can get that are comma delimited and can be imported into spreadsheets or databases.

I think DRF has that option with Formulator but not sure.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #148
MPRanger

Anyone on here calling Equibase pp's garbage simply does not know what they are talking about . It seems to be a widely held bias.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #149
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRanger View Post
Anyone on here calling Equibase pp's garbage simply does not know what they are talking about . It seems to be a widely held bias.
There was a time period of about 2 years when I used nothing but the Equibase figures. I used them daily, and I couldn't have been happier with them. As far as I was concerned...they were the best speed figures in existence. But then, a little over a decade ago, Equibase announced that they were "recalibrating" their speed figures, to supposedly bring them up to the same scale as the Beyers. You see...the Beyers would often go well past the 100-figure...whereas the Equibase figures seldom ever climbed that high. Equibase announced that no other structural change would occur to these figures, but that turned out to be a blatant lie...because the new, "recalibrated" figures were worse than laughable. Cheap claimers at Beulah Park were being given figures in the 100s on a regular basis, and silly things like that. I was so shocked that I actually called them on the phone on two occasions, to ask what had happened to my beloved figures...and I was surprised when they transferred my call to an outfit called "Trackmaster"...a company that I had unpleasant experiences with many years prior, when that company was supplying data for some high-priced but useless hand-held handicapping calculators that Dick Mitchell was selling. I was able to get a Trackmaster guy on the phone...and he tried to explain to me that those highly-elevated Beulah figures were actually legitimate...as if Beulah had suddenly become a hotbed of class racing in this country. My handicapping conversation with him went as if I were talking horses with my then 5 year-old son...so I remember hanging up the phone wondering how anyone as clueless as that was working as an "analyst" for a handicapping company. I kept a tab on those recalibrated Equibase figures for at least a couple of months...and it became obvious to me that they were as worthless as a set of speed figures could be. And that's when I abandoned them for good...and I took to this board to warn other handicappers about them.

So...NO...my criticism about these figures has no "discriminatory" basis, and I am pretty sure that I know what I am talking about. And if an Equibase or a Trackmaster guy has the balls to come here and debate me on this board about this...then I will give him the tongue-lashing that he so richly deserves. What they did to those figures was criminal...and there was no reason for it.

Last edited by thaskalos; 02-19-2019 at 01:42 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 04:08 PM   #150
rispa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
There was a time period of about 2 years when I used nothing but the Equibase figures. I used them daily, and I couldn't have been happier with them. As far as I was concerned...they were the best speed figures in existence. But then, a little over a decade ago, Equibase announced that they were "recalibrating" their speed figures, to supposedly bring them up to the same scale as the Beyers. You see...the Beyers would often go well past the 100-figure...whereas the Equibase figures seldom ever climbed that high. Equibase announced that no other structural change would occur to these figures, but that turned out to be a blatant lie...because the new, "recalibrated" figures were worse than laughable. Cheap claimers at Beulah Park were being given figures in the 100s on a regular basis, and silly things like that. I was so shocked that I actually called them on the phone on two occasions, to ask what had happened to my beloved figures...and I was surprised when they transferred my call to an outfit called "Trackmaster"...a company that I had unpleasant experiences with many years prior, when that company was supplying data for some high-priced but useless hand-held handicapping calculators that Dick Mitchell was selling. I was able to get a Trackmaster guy on the phone...and he tried to explain to me that those highly-elevated Beulah figures were actually legitimate...as if Beulah had suddenly become a hotbed of class racing in this country. My handicapping conversation with him went as if I were talking horses with my then 5 year-old son...so I remember hanging up the phone wondering how anyone as clueless as that was working as an "analyst" for a handicapping company. I kept a tab on those recalibrated Equibase figures for at least a couple of months...and it became obvious to me that they were as worthless as a set of speed figures could be. And that's when I abandoned them for good...and I took to this board to warn other handicappers about them.

So...NO...my criticism about these figures has no "discriminatory" basis, and I am pretty sure that I know what I am talking about. And if an Equibase or a Trackmaster guy has the balls to come here and debate me on this board about this...then I will give him the tongue-lashing that he so richly deserves. What they did to those figures was criminal...and there was no reason for it.
After becoming disenchanted with Equibase speed and pace numbers, where did you turn? Hope you don't mind my asking. Feel free not to respond if that is your preference

Thanks.
rispa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: