Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-25-2005, 03:19 PM   #1
Vegas711

TVG's stupid expeirment

Lastnight TVG decided to expeirment with showing a Poker championship during a live broadcast. Three racetracks where at less than 10 minutes to Post instead of seeing the horses we where being shown a bunch of nobodys playing poker. TVG told me that this was just an expeirment. TVG upper management just doesn't get it ,you would think by now that they would learn something from their past mistakes.If i want to see Poker ( Which I don't) i can see it on espn etc.I go to tvg to see the horses not some freaks playing cards.

Is it any wonder TVG losses money. When you fail to understand the needs of your customer you soon are out of business.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:53 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The more I watch TVG, the more I think they don't have a clule about horse racing. They wold be better off firing most of those talkingheads and keeping one guy to talk briefly - and then play some jazz the rest of the time.

Poker?
I don't even know her!

Last edited by Tom; 03-25-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2005, 03:55 PM   #3
GameTheory

I hear they have a new show where two trainers re-decorate each other's barns -- gonna be a big hit...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2005, 03:55 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Old 03-25-2005, 04:12 PM   #5
Figman

Tom,
I can't believe you said "keep one guy talking briefly...." That's the way Capital District Regional OTB has been doing it on their own television station TV-12 for many years long before TVG. And yet complaints abound!

I don't understand why your area of NY doesn't have a similar operation in home as TV-12 is available in all of Northeastern NY State. Can't your regional OTB make a deal to get Capital's television station? Nassau, Suffolk and NYC all have in home televised horse racing available on cable. Only Catskill and Western are in the stone ages.
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2005, 04:53 PM   #6
garyoz

I agree, the "experiment" was stupid. I ended up watching the races I was interested in on the BrisBet Stream. Funny thing is that there was the World Poker Tour on the Travel Channel at the same time. But I guess if you like watching poker on TV you can't get enough. Maybe its no worse than having two racing channels on at the same time.

Speaking of TVG, does anyone know what happened to Rhonda Collins? With Priscilla leaving, I don't think they have any women on the air. They had another relatively new aging and balding guy on today at noon.
garyoz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2005, 07:30 PM   #7
kenwoodallpromos

Game

Is the show going to be called Queer eye for the Straightaway guy?
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2005, 07:42 PM   #8
mhrussell

..Priscilla leaving?

..I had not heard that. I noticed she has not been hosting lately, but thought she might just be on vacation..
Did TVG announce that she was leaving?
mhrussell is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2005, 07:46 PM   #9
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrussell
..I had not heard that. I noticed she has not been hosting lately, but thought she might just be on vacation..
Did TVG announce that she was leaving?
She's at fox sports now.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2005, 07:50 PM   #10
garyoz

Priscilla has left. They made some comments about it her last day. Seems like she left on good terms, probably to another gig. While Rhonda wasn't terribly polished, she did seem to try hard. She just disappeared.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:54 PM   #11
garyoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure
She's at fox sports now.

That makes sense, because both Fox and TVG are controlled by News Corp, Rupert Murdoch's company. So it made it easier to leave on good terms.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:56 PM   #12
schweitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas711
Lastnight TVG decided to expeirment with showing a Poker championship during a live broadcast. Three racetracks where at less than 10 minutes to Post instead of seeing the horses we where being shown a bunch of nobodys playing poker. TVG told me that this was just an expeirment. TVG upper management just doesn't get it ,you would think by now that they would learn something from their past mistakes.If i want to see Poker ( Which I don't) i can see it on espn etc.I go to tvg to see the horses not some freaks playing cards.

Is it any wonder TVG losses money. When you fail to understand the needs of your customer you soon are out of business.

They did this last week also; while I was trying to watch Sam Houston---It's bad enough when they do 20 min on every Los Al QH race and I don't get Sam Houston live but now it appears that they will go to poker for 20 or 30 min. at a time.
schweitz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2005, 09:57 PM   #13
Lasix1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTheory
I hear they have a new show where two trainers re-decorate each other's barns -- gonna be a big hit...
I heard that recently paroled Martha Stewart has been hired on as a consultant. Seems she watched a lot of TVG while in the slammer....
Lasix1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2005, 10:19 PM   #14
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweitz
--It's bad enough when they do 20 min on every Los Al QH race and I don't get Sam Houston live but now it appears that they will go to poker for 20 or 30 min. at a time.
They're obsession with quarter Horses will be the death of them. If they do die. Its baffling how intensely they push 1/4'r horses on us...

I cannot believe how much 1/4 horse races I see on TVG...

and I also think they should move east. Either NYRA or Churchill or Florida.

Should'nt they be where the race tracks are? and the people?
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2005, 10:32 PM   #15
schweitz

Suff,
I guess its because they broadcast from Los Al most nights---why?, I don't know---be curious to know what TVG's handle is on Los Al. What ticks me off is I play Sam Houston most nights and post time for Los Al will be 8-12 min. away and they stay there the whole time---you would think they could leave long enough to show other tracks.
schweitz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply