Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #16
timp

No more racing

There would be no more racing if they try keep raising the wages it is what it is no room for more money
timp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2019, 10:19 PM   #17
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Most of my dish guys are from the Work Release program. Sheriff drops em off and picks em up. They live in a half way house.
Some make and some don't...have a few guys who have moved up to grill and other positions after their release.
Others went right back to jail
Exact same here but they have to provide their own transportation. No ride from the Sheriff.

They wear an ankle monitor the first 5-6 months. I’ve had good success with about 60-70% of them. The rest....wash out and go back
Old 06-23-2019, 10:31 PM   #18
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by timp View Post
Eat in different restaurants around my town none of hymen’s have there employees dropped of and picked up by the sheriffs dept
That you know of......

I was approached by the State to give the properly vetted guys a chance to re-integrate in society. I personally interview them. If they last 90 days I’m eligible for a $1000 payout from the government. I don’t even do the paperwork. I offered to give the money to the parolee and the state said no.

I’ve moved a few up to grill too. Or fry station. They have done pretty well. It’s about giving these guys a chance to start over.

My most successful story is a guy who worked for us for over a year, moved up etc and eventually got hired to be a State road-crew foreman. Supervising prisoners! I went to bat for him big time. He’s been in that job almost 2 years now.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:18 AM   #19
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Be careful what you wish for....

I remember that episode it was hilarious, they put mice in the deep fryer and gave it to some overbearing customer.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #20
ubercapper

Thanks to those of you who employ people and give them a second chance.

One of the many great restaurants in Lexington is DV8 Kitchen, started by Rob Perez. It's been on national news, like this story in the NY Times https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/10/d...-kentucky.html

We try to go there about twice a month. Anyone who comes to Lexington should try it. They mostly serve breakfast and lunch. The food is absolutely incredible as is the service and the attitude of everyone who works there.

Mr. Perez also started a non-profit to help other employers provide a second chance to people seeking recovery and meaningful work. They recently had a two day workshop called Soulful Enterprise. https://smileypete.com/business/soulfull-enterprise/

Last edited by ubercapper; 06-24-2019 at 09:19 AM.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2019, 10:31 AM   #21
chiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
That you know of......

I was approached by the State to give the properly vetted guys a chance to re-integrate in society. I personally interview them. If they last 90 days I’m eligible for a $1000 payout from the government. I don’t even do the paperwork. I offered to give the money to the parolee and the state said no.

I’ve moved a few up to grill too. Or fry station. They have done pretty well. It’s about giving these guys a chance to start over.

My most successful story is a guy who worked for us for over a year, moved up etc and eventually got hired to be a State road-crew foreman. Supervising prisoners! I went to bat for him big time. He’s been in that job almost 2 years now.

Thanks, you are a credit to society. As someone who had a brother who got himself into trouble when he was younger, it is good to see people out here who are willing to give others a second chance. I have been eating this bread in the link below for a couple of years before I read up on the story of this company. Pretty cool stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave%27s_Killer_Bread
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #22
JimJames
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
I remember that episode it was hilarious, they put mice in the deep fryer and gave it to some overbearing customer.
Very funny, but it's why I haven't eaten in a restaurant in decades.

Had a friend who was an expediter in NYC and clued me into that. Don't like anyone controlling my food. 7-11's hermetically sealed stuff is fine. One exception I make is for high-volume Chinese takeout in well-populated areas since the food turns over fast and there's enough profits so I won't be getting Moo Goo Gai Dog.
JimJames is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #23
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Most of my dish guys are from the Work Release program.
Just curious. What happens when Robert Deniro struts in needing a wheelman??
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #24
JimJames
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave%27s_Killer_Bread[/url]

Just beware of the donuts:

https://www.amazon.com/Attack-Killer.../dp/B078XX7DXC
Old 06-24-2019, 05:57 PM   #25
clicknow

How extremely hard working grooms, hotwalkers and backside workers, who take care of the horses that we all love to watch, and without whom there would BE no racing, engendered a conversation here about convicts in day programs working in restaurants as cooks and diswashers, is beyond me?
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2019, 06:00 PM   #26
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by timp View Post
There would be no more racing if they try keep raising the wages it is what it is no room for more money
Then, so be it.

If you can't pay people who are working very long hours, in all kinds of heat and cold, to work with thoroughbreds (who can be frisky and dangerous to boot, and therefore require a certain TALENT) then maybe there should be no more racing and/or the way the business model is set up needs to change.

These are the hands-on people who keep the horses happy. cared for, and safe most of the day and night. (Many of them are more hands-on than some of the trainers who show up for photo ops to parade them around outside their stalls. )

There are honest trainers out there who admit (on camera in You Tube videos) like Mandella, who was literally saying that he and Omaha Beach aren't really "buddies" yet.....not like he was with Beholder for instance. Omaha Beach has other human buddies, and they are the backside workers who deserve to get fair pay for their work.

Last edited by clicknow; 06-24-2019 at 06:07 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2019, 06:45 PM   #27
chiguy

I think one of the things that gets lost in these discussions is that the trainers "willfully" underpaid these workers. The issue and discussion should not be about what the barn help gets paid, if it is too much or too little, the discussion should be why do trainers think they should be able to pay them less. I manage some large groups for a major corporation and labor is a huge cost to the company but nobody here would ever, and I mean ever knowingly short change an employee. We would never manipulate a time card, fill one in for an employee or even suggest how they fill them out. I would assume I would be terminated if I ever did something like that or one of my direct reports did that. It is a bad look for these trainers and speaks to their character.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #28
thaskalos

This isn't quite what it seems, IMO. It's not that the trainers are "willfully" underpaying their employees...and this type of employee-paying arrangement has been going on forever in many different types of businesses. The business owners are unwilling to pay overtime wages...and they limit the working schedule of their employees to 40 weekly hours, in order to keep payroll costs down. But some employees can't make ends meet by working only their regularly scheduled hours...so, these employees willfully enter into an arrangement with the owners whereby only the regular 40 weekly hours are clocked in...while the extra overtime hours are "kept off the books"...and paid for in cash under the table. This way...the employees get the extra hours that they desperately need...and the owners escape from the obligation of paying the overtime wages that they seek to avoid. It's unlawful, and it could be called employee exploitation...but the employees enter into the arrangement willfully. In fact...THEY are the ones who initiate the arrangement, in most cases. This is how it works in many privately owned small businesses...and my guess is that such is the case here too.

Last edited by thaskalos; 06-24-2019 at 07:49 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2019, 08:00 PM   #29
JimJames
Apprentice

Um, isn't the access to all that inside information a "fringe benefit" that explains why they work for such low wages?
Old 06-24-2019, 08:02 PM   #30
JimJames
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
This isn't quite what it seems, IMO. It's not that the trainers are "willfully" underpaying their employees...and this type of employee-paying arrangement has been going on forever in many different types of businesses. The business owners are unwilling to pay overtime wages...and they limit the working schedule of their employees to 40 weekly hours, in order to keep payroll costs down. But some employees can't make ends meet by working only their regularly scheduled hours...so, these employees willfully enter into an arrangement with the owners whereby only the regular 40 weekly hours are clocked in...while the extra overtime hours are "kept off the books"...and paid for in cash under the table. This way...the employees get the extra hours that they desperately need...and the owners escape from the obligation of paying the overtime wages that they seek to avoid. It's unlawful, and it could be called employee exploitation...but the employees enter into the arrangement willfully. In fact...THEY are the ones who initiate the arrangement, in most cases. This is how it works in many privately owned small businesses...and my guess is that such is the case here too.
Yes, and if the employee sues, the employer cuts the hours to forty at minimum wage, effectively terminating the job.

Then there's the "salary" designation for recent college grads who often wind up making less than they'd earn at a fast-food counter.