Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-13-2019, 09:28 PM   #31
mountainman

By remaining open through this maelstrom, Santa Anita has greatly endangered an entire industry.

Last edited by mountainman; 06-13-2019 at 09:30 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2019, 09:38 PM   #32
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
By remaining open through this maelstrom, Santa Anita has greatly endangered an entire industry.
I beg to differ....If Santa Anita had quickly caved in to the demands of the Cali-lunatic fringe and PETA, this would have immediately emboldened more of the same across the nation with any breakdown at any track....Just sayin'.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2019, 10:02 PM   #33
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Is the industry afraid of any new medication rules that will or should be enforced nationwide. As San Anita seems to be the leader in that respect so far.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #34
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
I beg to differ....If Santa Anita had quickly caved in to the demands of the Cali-lunatic fringe and PETA, this would have immediately emboldened more of the same across the nation with any breakdown at any track....Just sayin'.
A suspension of the meet around the time that the media momentum gained, probably around breakdown 14 or 15, with a response that it would do anything and everything up to replacing the entire track.....and it's in the rear view right now. Instead they took the route of publicly blaming the horsemen, who are without a doubt deserved of ridicule for the 'therapeutic' drugs, which caused the media to latch on and say that horses are breaking down due to drugs and greed. This has been a PR issue from day 1 and TSG has failed nearly every step of the way. God forbid we have a breakdown or two this weekend after it refused to suspend the meet and I would be shocked if Del Mar is running its meet
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #35
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
I would be shocked if Del Mar is running its meet
I think you've misspoke here.....Not remotely possible.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:08 PM   #36
mountainman

[QUOTE=ReplayRandall;2479769]I beg to differ....If Santa Anita had quickly caved in to the demands of the Cali-lunatic fringe and PETA, this would have immediately emboldened more of the same across the nation with any breakdown at any track....Just sayin'.[/QUOTE

Opinion noted. And I don't disagree. But I NEVER said Santa Anita should have caved quickly. At some point, however, discretion should have become the better part of valor. A temporary retreat, a strategic acquiescence, would have better served themselves and the entire industry.

Please have the final word if you are so inclined, sir.

Last edited by mountainman; 06-13-2019 at 10:09 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2019, 10:11 PM   #37
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

[quote=mountainman;2479779]
Quote:
I beg to differ....If Santa Anita had quickly caved in to the demands of the Cali-lunatic fringe and PETA, this would have immediately emboldened more of the same across the nation with any breakdown at any track....Just sayin'.[/QUOTE

Opinion noted.. And I don't disagree. But I NEVER said Santa Anita should have caved quickly. At some point, however, discretion should have become the better part of valor. A temporary retreat, a strategic acquiescence, would have better served themselves and the entire industry.

Please have the final word, if you are so inclined, sir.
We're in agreement here....But they did shutdown the track for a few weeks.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:58 PM   #38
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
I think you've misspoke here.....Not remotely possible.
I think you failed to read, or comprehend, the qualifier- which I hope we don't see
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2019, 11:09 PM   #39
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
I think you failed to read, or comprehend, the qualifier- which I hope we don't see
It didn't read that way to me.....My bad.

The "comprehend" comment.....Your bad.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:14 AM   #40
AlsoEligible

I’ve been pretty pessimistic about the future of CA racing, but even if SA has multiple breakdowns over its final few days, I don’t see any scenario where it causes DM to cancel their meet before it even starts.

Now if Del Mar has a couple breakdowns in its first weekend and all the attention and pressure shifts to them, all bets are off.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2019, 05:21 AM   #41
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The media has been complicit in the sense that a whole bunch of dying horses is a completely legitimate news story, which it covered

Do people in the industry seriously believe this stuff? That the public and the media is just supposed to ignore it when horses are dying on the track?
Sweeping under the rug is the preferred action I guess.

And then blame PETA.

I have no doubt there is something wrong with the compressed layer under the top layer of that track that is causing so many musculoskeletal injuries in young horses. They need to fix it and not give the contract to one of the cronies that big jobs usually go to as we all know. The carryover should go towards fixing it. And/or retirement for the horses who run or jockeys disabled fund.

Last edited by clicknow; 06-14-2019 at 05:24 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #42
castaway01

Quote:
Opinion noted. And I don't disagree. But I NEVER said Santa Anita should have caved quickly. At some point, however, discretion should have become the better part of valor. A temporary retreat, a strategic acquiescence, would have better served themselves and the entire industry.

Please have the final word if you are so inclined, sir.
I think you're 100% correct. It couldn't have been handled much more poorly. All of the politics aside, the lack of intelligent and consistent decision making at the top (and the fact the breakdowns continue) have made the situation 100 times worse than it had to be.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #43
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Sweeping under the rug is the preferred action I guess.

And then blame PETA.

I have no doubt there is something wrong with the compressed layer under the top layer of that track that is causing so many musculoskeletal injuries in young horses. They need to fix it and not give the contract to one of the cronies that big jobs usually go to as we all know. The carryover should go towards fixing it. And/or retirement for the horses who run or jockeys disabled fund.
There isn't one single magical solution to fix the breakdowns. But PETA and those animal activists solution is to shut down the track and eliminate the sport. That doesn't seem like much of a realistic fix does it? Especially considering how popular the sport is around the world, and not just in the US. If those people are interested in a conversation where realistic solutions can be implemented, I'm sure they can meet in the middle. Otherwise we are talking about one side caving in trying to make them happy, which they will never be.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #44
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

PETA wasn't always calling for an end to horse racing. This is a recent policy for them. They must have gotten a large donation from a donor who wants to see it end. An LA developer?
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2019, 06:32 PM   #45
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
PETA and those animal activists solution is to shut down the track and eliminate the sport. That doesn't seem like much of a realistic fix does it? Especially considering how popular the sport is around the world, and not just in the US.
The fatality rate from training & racing at SA is obscene. The track is compromised.

The rest of the world you speak of, although not perfect, has much higher standards.

Keep blaming PETA though.....if you want to talk about greed, Santa Anita track continued to send horses & riders out on to it to train & race, saying the track is safe. Talk about "saying anything to turn a buck" huh?
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply