Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-28-2019, 08:06 PM   #16
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
Who doesn't?

To lay it on media and mal-adjusted animal lovers is to easy.

Due to technology we see animals in their natural habitat. You can go on Google or Youtube and see every living creature right down to parasites and fungus's.

In general, using animals for human pleasure or entertainment has fallen out of favor.

Except these people are extremists.
These people got legislation making it illegal to sell goldfish in the Bay Area.
These people think that having pets is holding them captive.
These people think that riding an animal is abuse.
In short they do not want people using animals of any kind even if its a mutually beneficial relationship.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2019, 08:06 PM   #17
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Here's where you lost me. I never said or implied such a thing should take place.
I didn't say you did.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2019, 08:10 PM   #18
GMB@BP

Essentially the PC police will come for whatever direction the wind is blowing.

Did you see two people seriously hurt at the Indy 500, and drivers get killed in that sport. Not horses, but people.

See, people know whats best for other people so sooner or later that sport will be dead as well.

So will football. Boxing is already dead. Just a matter of time until someone says no more, we have decided.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2019, 08:12 PM   #19
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
These people got legislation making it illegal to sell goldfish in the Bay Area.

Extremities.

For example by being involved in horse racing:
You believe if a Horse has no monetary worth at the race track then its ok to kill it and sell the meat. Because that happens. Often. Everywhere.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2019, 08:13 PM   #20
thaskalos

Quote:
These people think that having pets is holding them captive.
These people think that riding an animal is abuse.
In short they do not want people using animals of any kind even if its a mutually beneficial relationship.
Yes...but you lumped the media in with PETA when you said that they have an agenda. Isn't the sports media's job to report on the "injustices" of the sporting world? Isn't that what the sports media does in the OTHER sports?
Old 05-28-2019, 08:20 PM   #21
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Yes...but you lumped the media in with PETA when you said that they have an agenda. Isn't the sports media's job to report on the "injustices" of the sporting world? Isn't that what the sports media does in the OTHER sports?

Except we know that certain media outlets have biases. Anybody who think the media is this saintly arbiter or truth is in for a reality check. The media cares about sensationalism and ratings these days. Hell, the media ignored Santa Anita for years until they found their next juicy headlines. Listening to these guys report on this has been painful at best and at worst terribly uninformed.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:28 PM   #22
thaskalos

Quote:
Except we know that certain media outlets have biases. Anybody who think the media is this saintly arbiter or truth is in for a reality check. The media cares about sensationalism and ratings these days. Hell, the media ignored Santa Anita for years until they found their next juicy headlines. Listening to these guys report on this has been painful at best and at worst terribly uninformed.
Has Santa Anita supplied an informed rebuttal to balance out the terribly uninformed coverage of the sensationalistic media?
Old 05-28-2019, 08:35 PM   #23
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Has Santa Anita supplied an informed rebuttal to balance out the terribly uninformed coverage of the sensationalistic media?

I wouldn't matter what Santa Anita puts out in the press. For example they put out a press release that they didn't have any horse deaths for nearly 2 months, yet the media is counting every single horse death daily. Meanwhile in animal shelters just in LA county, tens of thousands of animals will be put to death annually, yet nobody from the media is camping out and doing a death recap on a daily basis. This is media sensationalism at its finest. They won't be happy until Santa Anita is shut down.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:44 PM   #24
woodbinepmi

How long is it going to be when it's put on the ballot to outlaw horse racing in California just like they did in Florida with greyhound racing?
Old 05-28-2019, 08:45 PM   #25
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Meanwhile in animal shelters just in LA county, tens of thousands of animals will be put to death annually.
In my experience , currently I see more animal welfare on TV, News , Web, than at anytime in my life.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2019, 08:49 PM   #26
Afleet

Quote:
New poster here. Santa Anita is my local horse track, the media and PETA members have been camped there. It doesn't matter if they install a synthetic track or not, these people want to shut down the track. They have an agenda.
ask them if they are for abortion
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2019, 08:49 PM   #27
cutchemist42

I would just like to say that as a Canadian looking in that the USA itself itself has an ugly way of viewing treatment of animals. I think America is a dog loving/ pet loving country only because compared to its counterparts in the Western world, Americas factory farming and overall animal production is absurd.

I just find the animal battles American citizens focus on is so twisted.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2019, 08:58 PM   #28
dilanesp

Quote:
There isn't any rule that says if you get away with something long enough, you get to do it forever.

The media ignored sexual harassment and assault in the entertainment industry for years. And you KNOW they knew about it. But once #metoo happened, the floodgates opened.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #29
thaskalos

Quote:
I wouldn't matter what Santa Anita puts out in the press. For example they put out a press release that they didn't have any horse deaths for nearly 2 months, yet the media is counting every single horse death daily. Meanwhile in animal shelters just in LA county, tens of thousands of animals will be put to death annually, yet nobody from the media is camping out and doing a death recap on a daily basis. This is media sensationalism at its finest. They won't be happy until Santa Anita is shut down.
The more I argue with you, the more likely it is for me to appear as the sort of anti-racing guy that you are railing against...when the truth is that I love this game, and I've been passionately supporting it for almost 40 years. I want this game to live on long after I am dead and gone...but that's not going to happen if the racing industry keeps their collective heads deep in the sand. These are serious issues being reported here, and they play on the heart-strings of the animal-loving public. Regardless of what our game has been able to get away with in the past...it cannot now be perceived as a blood-thirsty sport which holds no regard for its equine athletes, which are, after all, the sport's chief attraction. This isn't just about the Santa Anita breakdowns; there is also the disgraceful slaughterhouse issue nationwide...as well as the current employee underpayment policy presumed to be enacted by even the most successful trainers in this game. Put these issues all together, and our sport has a serious public-appeal problem...which the game's governing authorities can no longer afford to ignore.

The animal shelter deaths that you mention are disturbing, and the public knows about them...but there is no one that the public can blame for them...because the blame for that is shared by each and every one of us. Alas...the blame for the ills of horse racing is a lot more concentrated...and that warrants a much quicker response...IMO.

Last edited by thaskalos; 05-28-2019 at 09:01 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2019, 09:00 PM   #30
GMB@BP

Racing has done a good job of killing the sport, would seem a crime to let someone else finally deal the death blow.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply