Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-25-2019, 02:10 PM   #16
Nitro

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I am starting this thread out of genuine curiosity about the level of popularity that overseas racing has been able to attain within our country. In thread after thread here, the assertion is usualy made by someone that horse racing in other countries is more financially attractive than our domestic product is...and yet the past performances that I've been able to find for the racing overseas are woefully inadequate when compared to what we have available for our races here.

Please understand that I am in no way disparaging the overseas game...nor am I pursuing an argument with those here who have embraced the foreign version of this game. I am genuinely wondering how serious money can be wagered on a racing product that offers such limited handicapping information to the bettor. Yes...I know that the Hong Kong betting pools are huge...but I attribute this to the citizens there having gotten used to their version of the game over time. How does an American handicapper, who has gotten used to the detailed past performances that we have here, make the transition to betting serious money while using the sketchy PPs that are available abroad?

Are there detailed foreign PPs containing fractional times and speed/pace figures...which are available to the betting public at a higher price?
I found this little gem of a post and I couldn’t believe my eyes. Now don’t get me wrong! If this post was written by a “newbie” to the game it would be understandable on many levels. But for a long time seasoned player to make these sort of complaints is inexplicable!

I’m assuming of course that that the statement of “
In thread after thread here, the assertion is usually made by someone horse racing in other countries is more financially attractive than our domestic product” is referring primarily to the many discussions about racing in Hong Kong in which I've often participated.

It’s the next comment that underscores the unwarranted and distressing nature of this entire post: “and yet the past performances that I've been able to find for the racing overseas are woefully inadequate when compared to what we have available for our races here.”
In reality, this entire comment is 180 degrees off of what is actually available through the HK Jockey Club Web site, and what’s even worse is that it makes that information appear to be substandard from the perspective of a player who’s obviously stuck with mediocrity and indoctrination with the local PPs. In fact, the HK racing information is way ahead when it comes to providing ALL aspects of their racing game, the horses, and those involved.

How does an American handicapper, who has gotten used to the detailed past performances that we have here, make the transition to betting serious money while using the sketchy PPs that are available abroad? Are there detailed foreign PPs containing fractional times and speed/pace figures...which are available to the betting public at a higher price?
These concluding comments also clearly demonstrate a lack of the basic exposure to what’s actually available through the HK Web site. I realize that some might wonder how much they would have to pay for all this information. Well, here’s another reason why the HK racing product is so well received: ALL this information is FREE! Anyone who views and can grasp the enormous handle of HK racing, and yet can’t comprehend why it’s available at no charge, doesn’t understand top shelf business marketing practices when dealing with the general public.

Simple solution: Visit the HK Jockey Club Web site and judge my comments for yourself.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2019, 10:11 AM   #17
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
the HK racing information is way ahead when it comes to providing ALL aspects of their racing game, the horses, and those involved.
I remember my first exposure to HK racing and was amazed at all the information available........and realized how "lacking" the PPs I was used to dealing with were. I can get so much more information on a horse, their veterinary records, their weight (not just carried weight but actual body weight) for each race they have run,

and next to each race, right there, handy is completely video of every race the horse has run. Not just one, but multi angle view as well as the aerial video next to it! And every piece of equipment whether it be a shadow roll or ear plugs is noted. Sectional times, the "going" of the track, and "energy required" in the chart compared to the Speed Pro Energy, ------ they even have fitness ratings! and what the odds were for every race they were in, what paths they raced in during their races.........really, it's astonishing. A database miracle.

Then the speed map (likely positions after settling) sort of like TFUS pace pictures.

Dealing with U.S. PPs, I feel like I'm betting "blind" in comparison to the information I am able to get in HK about a horse.

It takes me a lot longer to cap a race because of all the information available, it's just a lot of information.

I'm somewhat convinced that people can't cap horses w/out Bris speed or BSF figures. Because otherwise, everything and anything you would want to know about a horse's entire past, as well as their present, is available.......and all for free.

(I esp. like the workout records, where "swimming" is always part of the workout, since all the horses swim in the pool for fitness). YOu would never see that here. LOL) I would love to visit their track and backside, etc.

I also like watching it. It's not like a quick post parade where you barely get to see the horses......you get to sit and look at them carefullly and closely, each one, for quite a long time, while the analyst remarks about them. Each horse is "showcased" so individually.

And finally, the video. Top notch. I can see the hairs on the horses from my LAPTOP!

Last edited by clicknow; 06-26-2019 at 10:14 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #18
Nitro

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
I remember my first exposure to HK racing and was amazed at all the information available........and realized how "lacking" the PPs I was used to dealing with were. I can get so much more information on a horse,
Well, I think your fine description might have covered just about all the highlights of the information that the HK Jockey Club provides. There are a few more items both static and dynamic that I find especially useful.

Its good to see that others might also appreciate what’s being offered in HK. (Did I mention that its ALL for FREE?)
GL
Nick
Old 06-26-2019, 04:11 PM   #19
chiguy

I really do love the television product that is put out with each race in HK. The analysts give out 15-20-30 to one shots every race in their top 4. It is a closed group of horses so the analysts know this horses very very well. It is a dream to handicap and bet these races.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #20
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
I really do love the television product that is put out with each race in HK. The analysts give out 15-20-30 to one shots every race in their top 4. It is a closed group of horses so the analysts know this horses very very well. It is a dream to handicap and bet these races.
I agree 100% and if you’re interested in a horse’s physicality the analysts (particularly Jenny) offer a very thorough examination of each horse. When you’re half way around the world betting on these horses there’s nothing like getting that type of pre-race information.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #21
castaway01

Quote:
I found this little gem of a post and I couldn’t believe my eyes. Now don’t get me wrong! If this post was written by a “newbie” to the game it would be understandable on many levels. But for a long time seasoned player to make these sort of complaints is inexplicable!

I’m assuming of course that that the statement of “
In thread after thread here, the assertion is usually made by someone horse racing in other countries is more financially attractive than our domestic product” is referring primarily to the many discussions about racing in Hong Kong in which I've often participated.

It’s the next comment that underscores the unwarranted and distressing nature of this entire post: “and yet the past performances that I've been able to find for the racing overseas are woefully inadequate when compared to what we have available for our races here.”
In reality, this entire comment is 180 degrees off of what is actually available through the HK Jockey Club Web site, and what’s even worse is that it makes that information appear to be substandard from the perspective of a player who’s obviously stuck with mediocrity and indoctrination with the local PPs. In fact, the HK racing information is way ahead when it comes to providing ALL aspects of their racing game, the horses, and those involved.

How does an American handicapper, who has gotten used to the detailed past performances that we have here, make the transition to betting serious money while using the sketchy PPs that are available abroad? Are there detailed foreign PPs containing fractional times and speed/pace figures...which are available to the betting public at a higher price?
These concluding comments also clearly demonstrate a lack of the basic exposure to what’s actually available through the HK Web site. I realize that some might wonder how much they would have to pay for all this information. Well, here’s another reason why the HK racing product is so well received: ALL this information is FREE! Anyone who views and can grasp the enormous handle of HK racing, and yet can’t comprehend why it’s available at no charge, doesn’t understand top shelf business marketing practices when dealing with the general public.

Simple solution: Visit the HK Jockey Club Web site and judge my comments for yourself.
It's hilarious how you rant at Thaskalos for paragraph after paragraph about how great Hong Kong past performances are, yet you only handicap using the toteboard…makes sense.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #22
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
It's hilarious how you rant at Thaskalos for paragraph after paragraph about how great Hong Kong past performances are, yet you only handicap using the toteboard…makes sense.
“Hilarious” I doubt it! I think your rebuttal is actually pretty Sad.

Do you have the ability to comprehend the written word? Apparently you totally missed the fact that this ENTIRE thread is related to the quality of information that may be found that’s related to horse racing overseas (particularly HK). It is totally unrelated to ANY methodology that someone might be using to attack the game.

Get it?!
Old 07-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #23
clicknow

Quote:
I think your rebuttal is actually pretty Sad.
I guess I don't get the whole point of any rebuttals even being necessary. Hong Kong is generally recognized as the most honest well regulated racing jurisdiction in the world, and the data available to it's customers for free is without compare.

No, we can't have the exact same thing because our situation is different in many ways here. But there are many aspects of their model we can adopt. Many.

But....we don't.

All this stuff is brought up, year after year after year. The excuses I've heard now for 20+ years will just continue until we have a centralized governing body for the industry.

In life when their is *intent*, things happen. The only thing I can think at this point is that there isn't, (and never has been), any real intent to fix U.S. racing other then when forced to do so by public pressure. Then they pretend to care about something other than profits.

In the meantime, I will watch and wager hong kong and other jurisdictions. I won't have to watch carnage like an assistant starter beating a horse mulitiple times in the head; I won't have to read stories about a horse with a broken leg with no veterinary attention at dumps like PNGI, etc. This is supposed to be a civilized nation.

Last edited by clicknow; 07-06-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #24
AndyC

Quote:
I guess I don't get the whole point of any rebuttals even being necessary. Hong Kong is generally recognized as the most honest well regulated racing jurisdiction in the world, and the data available to it's customers for free is without compare.

No, we can't have the exact same thing because our situation is different in many ways here. But there are many aspects of their model we can adopt. Many.

But....we don't.

All this stuff is brought up, year after year after year. The excuses I've heard now for 20+ years will just continue until we have a centralized governing body for the industry.

In life when their is *intent*, things happen. The only thing I can think at this point is that there isn't, (and never has been), any real intent to fix U.S. racing other then when forced to do so by public pressure. Then they pretend to care about something other than profits.

In the meantime, I will watch and wager hong kong and other jurisdictions. I won't have to watch carnage like an assistant starter beating a horse mulitiple times in the head; I won't have to read stories about a horse with a broken leg with no veterinary attention at dumps like PNGI, etc. This is supposed to be a civilized nation.
With all the wonderful things being done in Hong Kong for your benefit can we assume that you are making a comfortable 6 figure income from your bets there?
Old 07-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #25
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
With all the wonderful things being done in Hong Kong for your benefit can we assume that you are making a comfortable 6 figure income from your bets there?

I am making wagers that I'm *ethically comfortable* with, and on horses that I feel are part of a racing product that has integrity. To me, that's a good investment of my hard earned money.

How about you? Are you making a comfortable 6 figure income?

I'm strictly a recreational player, not a professional gambler.

It really seems to bother you that U.S. horseplayers are playing other jurisdictions. Horse racing is international now. This isn't the 1950s anymore....
Old 07-06-2019, 06:41 PM   #26
AndyC

Quote:
I am making wagers that I'm *ethically comfortable* with, and on horses that I feel are part of a racing product that has integrity. To me, that's a good investment of my hard earned money.

How about you? Are you making a comfortable 6 figure income?

I'm strictly a recreational player, not a professional gambler.

It really seems to bother you that U.S. horseplayers are playing other jurisdictions. Horse racing is international now. This isn't the 1950s anymore....
I couldn't care less where you play. I love foreign racing because it is primarily turf racing.

A good investment of my hard earned money is where I can win. All of the wonderful things provided by HK do not make it easier to win. Transparency is a good thing for the sport in general but can be a bad thing for a bettor. Case in point, back in the 70s the DRF did not publish the splits in the PPS of the west coast form. Pace handicapping was a gold mine for players who made the effort to obtain the info from the charts. It was a sad day for me when the west coast form starting providing all of the splits for every horse.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: