Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #31
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Hot take:

Once you remove the culture war stuff Biden's views and ability to accomplish them seem much more in sync with the general consensus of this board than Trump.

Of course he will have to tilt left during the Primary before coming back but still...
What "views"? What policies, other than to reinstate Obama for a third term?
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2019, 12:33 PM   #32
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
What "views"? What policies, other than to reinstate Obama for a third term?
White Working Class...
Old 04-25-2019, 12:35 PM   #33
MargieRose

Quote:
White Working Class...
What's that mean?
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #34
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Biden is too friggin old!
So is Bernie... the question is does the party go left and young with him with this diverse answer to the right's culture war issues or does it reinvigorate the WWC and the Obama/Trump swings that have always dominated American politics.

Both coalitions are a pathway to defeating Trump but does Biden try and thread the needle for go completely Unity ticket?
Old 04-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #35
elysiantraveller

Quote:
What's that mean?
First off... if anyone thinks Obama is "far left" they are way off the reservation. It was a largely center left presidency.

Biden appeals to the White Working Class on issues like fair trade. Strong middle class labor rights. Tougher banking regulations.

Biden's entire brand is sticking up for the little guy... which translates straight to the Middle American (mostly White) working class.

What Biden doesn't care about is letting gays get married, planned parenthood, Confederate monuments, the bathrooms people use, or people seeking to immigrate here legally... those are culture war issues that Donald Trump has completely made the Republican Party about.

Donald Trump is not nearly as right-wing on the stuff Biden talks about when it comes to domestic economic policy... in fact... I would probably argue Biden is more conservative than Trump there... certainly on a few issues.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #36
TJDave

Quote:
So is Bernie... the question is does the party go left and young with him with this diverse answer to the right's culture war issues or does it reinvigorate the WWC and the Obama/Trump swings that have always dominated American politics.

Both coalitions are a pathway to defeating Trump but does Biden try and thread the needle for go completely Unity ticket?
When I said Biden was too old it wasn’t a political statement.
I believe he’ll get the nomination. Bernie won’t. A woman won’t. The democrats are gun-shy. They also need a candidate who can stand up to Trump.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #37
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
What's that mean?
I think it's a race card.....
Old 04-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #38
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
When I said Biden was too old it wasn’t a political statement.
I believe he’ll get the nomination. Bernie won’t. A woman won’t. The democrats are gun-shy. They also need a candidate who can stand up to Trump.
Ahh...

Biden defeats Trump in the General Election.

Biden may not survive the Primaries.

Both of these are why Biden's roll-out today went straight for Trump and ignored the Primary field...

Also agree that he's too old to feel comfortable with and totally missed his window in 2016 due to the "Chosen One V2.0"
Old 04-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #39
classhandicapper

I don't get Biden's appeal at all.

As crazy and incompetent as Bernie is, I can at least see his appeal because a large percentage of the left is utterly clueless on matters of economics and business. They'll vote for any lunatic that promises to give them tons of "free" stuff.

Biden is a "has been" than "never was".

He's a washed up loser that couldn't win the nomination at the peak of his attractiveness (and plagiarism). On top of that, he's a big time creep around women, teenage girls, and younger girls. He's so creepy and it's so documented even a guy like Trump will be able bring up his behavior and get the best of it because Biden's creepiness even exceeds Trumps.

The demographics and anti Trump passions are working heavily in favor of the democrats. If they put up a reasonably intelligent young moderate that understands business and economics, but just with more left leaning priorities and visions, they'd win in the greatest landslide ever.

If they put a demonic entity like Clinton, a corpse like Biden, or a clown like Sanders, they could actually blow this thing.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #40
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I think it's a race card.....
Identifying the largest voting Demographic is pulling a race card?
Old 04-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #41
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
You have to look at him next to the other 19.....then his suit stands out!
Old 04-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #42
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post

As crazy and incompetent as Bernie is, I can at least see his appeal because a large percentage of the left is utterly clueless on matters of economics and business. They'll vote for any lunatic that promises to give them tons of "free" stuff.

Biden is a "has been" than "never was".

He's a washed up loser that couldn't win the nomination at the peak of his attractiveness (and plagiarism). On top of that, he's a big time creep around women, teenage girls, and younger girls. He's so creepy and it's so documented even a guy like Trump will be able bring up his behavior and get the best of it because Biden's creepiness even exceeds Trumps.

The demographics and anti Trump passions are working heavily in favor of the democrats. If they put up a reasonably intelligent young moderate that understands business and economics, but just with more left leaning priorities and visions, they'd win in the greatest landslide ever.

If they put a demonic entity like Clinton, a corpse like Biden, or a clown like Sanders, they could actually blow this thing.
Mayor Pete and a few others are taking notes from this post.

You did, though, basically describe younger Biden. Stuff like plagiarism and all of those older things harken back to a different time. In the era of Trump none of that shit matters anymore.

His son, Beau, would have absolutely destroyed Trump...
Old 04-25-2019, 01:10 PM   #43
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Ahh...

Biden defeats Trump in the General Election.

Biden may not survive the Primaries.

Both of these are why Biden's roll-out today went straight for Trump and ignored the Primary field...

Also agree that he's too old to feel comfortable with and totally missed his window in 2016 due to the "Chosen One V2.0"
I don't see Biden surviving the primaries either. He is going to be a lone wolf standing alone on a number of issues.

He isn't pro full blown no immigration policy and to abolish ICE and have open borders.

He isn't Medicare4All which is essentially a complete scrap of Obamacare.

He isn't about free College and the bail out of $1 trillion in student loan debt.

He isn't going to be about a $32 Trillion Green New Deal.

And several others.

Conservatives should be rooting for Biden because if a Dem beats Trump (or a Republican), he is the much further right candidate of them all by a massive margin.

Last edited by Lemon Drop Husker; 04-25-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #44
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
I don't see Biden surviving the primaries either. He is going to be a lone wolf standing along on a number of issues.

He isn't pro full blown no immigration policy and to abolish ICE and have open borders.

He isn't Medicare4All which is essentially a complete scrap of Obamacare.

He isn't about free College and the bail out of $1 trillion in student loan debt.

He isn't going to be about a $32 Trillion Green New Deal.

And several others.

Conservatives should be rooting for Biden because if a Dem beats Trump (or a Republican), he is the much further right candidate of them all by a massive margin.
We will see on all of this...

Polls (including Fox News) show the majority of Americans support Medicare4All in some form or another and Trump doesn't even have a plan...

I think most people are overreacting to how far "the left" really is right now. The only people who have staked out claims on the issues so far are Bernie and Warren. We are still months from debates and most candidates are still gauging where they are and fit in the electorate. Several are going to appear much more moderate along the way.

Booker, Harris, Beto, and Pete are some people with poll support that haven't carved out any positions beyond the point of easily consumable sound bites so far.

Biden hasn't either.

Remember at this point Donald Trump was still a couple of months away from announcing.

Its really early.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #45
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Economic and Fiscal Conservatives should be rooting for Biden... period.

That take is so hot its: