Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 06-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
Teach

Belmont: Sunday, June 23

My abridged notes on today’s racing card at Belmont:

In the First Race, almost by default, you need to consider Take Charge Tina. This filly has faced so much better, yet she’s still stuck on “Square One”. And…she hasn’t raced in 6 months. A lead-pipe cinch. No way! Oh, I’ll use her, but I’m “buying insurance”. Who else? That’s hard to say in a field that has more “suspects” than an Agatha Christie mystery novel. Alvernia did win her last about one month ago at Belmont in this company. Dylan Davis reprises. After that…I feel like throwing darts blindfolded in this non-descript field.

In Race Two I’ve looked at “Talking Horses" and I agree with TimeFormUS’s David Aragona. He likes – as I do -- Gabi’s Tuff. What’s Not to Like? This filly’s broodmare, Just Gabi, produced 5 winners and 1 stakes winner from 7 starters. Not too shabby! This Gary Contessa-trainee turned in a solid 3-panels work in which she blitzed the three panels in :36.1, breezing from the gate. Will this filly make the lead and say, “Arrivederci”? I can also make a case for Time Limit and Strongerthanuknow.

In Race Three I’ve landed on Xenobia. This Falco-bred daughter from the "Emerald Isle" has been shipped “Across The Pond” for her first foray on the fescue (or is it rye). She raced in graded-stakes company over in Europe. Yet, this chestnut mare has been away from the races “…for the longest time.” (Her trainer, Thomas Jonathan, does well in that layoff category). She gets Lasix. The “hot as a petardo,” Javier Castellano, has the call. The others: , ,

As Al Jolson might have sung, “…open up that Golden Gate! California, here I come!” You may get the drift by now in this circumvented and convoluted approach to let you know that my choice here in the Fourth Race is the Golden Gate shipper, Able to Smile. That last race in mid-April at GG, as Tony Soprano mighta said, “Fuhgettaboudit!” This Into Mischief-bred filly was bumped and taken up at the start in that large-field race. Alas and alack, a new venue, a shorter field, a new jockey, “El Dominicano.” “Another season, another reason…” This 3-year old’s trainer, Mike Stidham, is quietly having an excellent Belmont meet. Other Paint It Green; Concerned.

In the 5th at Belmont, I like Newly Minted. How can you argue with 3-straight wins, two of those being non-graded state-bred stakes. Yet, I must cite that none of those were on the lawn. Yet, in her favor, a recent “bullet” work adds to this bay filly’s luster. This 3-year old’s trainer is the pride of Racine, WI, Linda Rice. The Panamanian-born jinete, Jose Lezcano, is in the irons. If the fact that this filly has never raced on the lawn concerns you, you might consider Niko’s Dream. This Speightstown-bred filly broke her maiden in her last. She’s 4 out of 6, lifetime, on the grass. Junior Alvarado is in the irons.

In the 6th Race, my choice is Cleon Jones (Didn’t he play for the “Miracle Mets?” "Ya Gotta Believe!") This Tale of the Cat-bred (His first-time starters do very well) has had an array of solid morning-works. His connections certainly paid a “pretty penny” for him, 325k. I’m sure they’re looking for instant returns. Jeremiah Englehart trains. If you’re thinking of “buying insurance,” I’d counsel that you consider a longshot, Justintimeforwine with Jo-el Rosario in the saddle for trainer Gary Contessa. Also, Whichwaytomalibu. This colt’s broodmare, :8 Whichwaydidshego, had 5 winners and 3 stakes winners from 7 starters. Junior Alvarado for John Kimmel.

In Race Seven, Endorsed gets my tepid nod. The question remains: “Is He Ready?” This colt is certainly well bred, but he hasn’t raced in over 8 months. The last time he was seen on the racetrack, this colt was ambitiously entered in the Grade I Champagne at Belmont. This 3-year old contended in the early stages, but faded to 6th in the stretch. Prior to that, his only other race, he earned a maiden-breaking win at “The Spa”. Kiaran McLaughlin trains; Joel Rosario has his feet in the stirrups. Others: , ,

Psst! Come here. Closer. “Mum’s the word.” I gotta a longshot for you in this 8th Race: Smooth Tales. Yeah, I know, this gelding is tryin’ the turf for the first time (the turf breeding is good); yet I think this 3-year old merits consideration. First of all: It’s a Linda Rice trainee. That speaks volumes. This gelding’s dam, Satin Sheeks, did produce a turf winner. Jose Lezcano is in the irons. Lezcano is: “Rey de La Hierba”. Yes, this gelding has been away from the races for a while, but the aforementioned Linda Rice does well in that category. If you want to look elsewhere: Veterans Beach.

In the Finale, a longshot try, Kathy’s Cause. It’s “El Hipnottzador,” (He Can Put Fields to Sleep) Luis Saez. Let’s just suppose this Giant’s Causeway-bred makes the lead… This Patricia Generazio-owned and Jim Ryerson-trained Storm Cat-bred could then, as Marlon Brando said in “On the Waterfront,” be “a contendah”. I believe a lot will be determined in the first furlong. If you’re looking elsewhere: , ,

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply