Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
Clocker

Train wreck at the Gold Cup???

This one isn't going away soon. Look for lots of finger pointing at the track.

Quote:
RON THE GREEK sat forwardly placed while saving ground, ignored clear sailing along the inside corridor until midway on the far turn, was given his cue
and unleashed a bold run, overpowered the front runners to turn for home with none latched and with strong momentum, maintained it and drew off
convincingly, kept busy to the end. PALACE MALICE one of only a few to get away unscathed at the break, assumed a forward position, underwent a three
wide journey, got let out a notch leaving the half mile pole, advanced steadily towards ALPHA, hitched up in the vicinity of the five-sixteenths pole, was
under a drive turning for home, proved no match, held on in a willing manner to secure second. FLAT OUT stumbled at the start, raced from off the inside
throughout, departed the backstretch three wide, was as wide entering the lane, lacked the needed response. VITORIA OLIMPICA (BRZ) bobbled at the
start, gave chase from the two path, was already a full drive spinning into the stretch, made no headway. LAST GUNFIGHTER took an awkward initial
outward after losing his footing at the commencement of the event, alternated to being two to four wide until the quarter pole, was closer to the two path
heading for home, had no offering. ALPHA bobbled at the break, yet quickly established control, sat entrenched in the two path, being rated on a
loosely-contested lead, had no answer when confronted by a full-of-run RON THE GREEK a few strides before arriving at the quarter pole, got called upon,
tired steadily. CROSS TRAFFIC missed the break, stumbling badly at the start, raced well off the inside throughout and failed to reach a contending position. ORB bobbled at the start, underwent a three to four wide journey, and was through after going three-quarters.position.

Clocker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

How do so many horses stumble?
Old 09-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

At the commencement of the event?
Old 09-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
How do so many horses stumble?
Exactly. I am not that familiar with Belmont, but I thing that 1 1/4 mile on the dirt is an unusual race, and the gate placement just looks odd. This has got to raise questions about the track. Look at the gate placement HERE. It just looks strange.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
Quagmire

That's where the gate has been for years for the 1 1/4 dirt races and I don't remember any problems in the past with it.

I did notice in an earlier dirt race (not sure which one) that their were puddles on the track when they were getting ready to load. I'm watching from home so I have no idea if they could have over watered the track or if that area was still a little wet.
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
ghostyapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
Exactly. I am not that familiar with Belmont, but I thing that 1 1/4 mile on the dirt is an unusual race, and the gate placement just looks odd. This has got to raise questions about the track. Look at the gate placement HERE. It just looks strange.
You do realize this is how 10 furlong races have been run at belmont for the last 30+ years right? That includes multiple breeders cup classic.
ghostyapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyapper
You do realize this is how 10 furlong races have been run at belmont for the last 30+ years right?
No, I don't realized that. That's why I said that I was NOT familiar with the track and that's why I asked about it.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:23 AM   #8
ghostyapper

Asked about it? I didn't see much asking on your part.

Because a long shot won a race we should rethink the starting gate position? Yes the gate position is not ideal but I'd rather have it positioned on the turn then run a 1 turn 10 furlong race.
ghostyapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Asked about it? I didn't see much asking on your part.

Because a long shot won a race we should rethink the starting gate position? Yes the gate position is not ideal but I'd rather have it positioned on the turn then run a 1 turn 10 furlong race.
I think the subject is actually the fact that 90% of the field stumbled. Not that a longshot won. You have to admit it's a little odd........
Old 09-29-2013, 12:45 AM   #10
Clocker

Quote:

Because a long shot won a race we should rethink the starting gate position?
No, I am saying that because 6 out of 8 horses in a race stumbled at the start, it would appear that there was a problem with the gate or the track or the starter crew, rather than that there was a cosmic convergence such that 6 out of 8 top level horses got clumsy all at once.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:21 AM   #11
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
No, I am saying that because 6 out of 8 horses in a race stumbled at the start, it would appear that there was a problem with the gate or the track or the starter crew, rather than that there was a cosmic convergence such that 6 out of 8 top level horses got clumsy all at once.
Interesting how a horse from a clean barn, wins by daylight, but in the races that have less scrutiny, his slow, once paced style can't reel in the speeds, who magically don't stop.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/325...-club-gold-cup
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 03:46 AM   #12
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Interesting how a horse from a clean barn, wins by daylight, but in the races that have less scrutiny, his slow, once paced style can't reel in the speeds, who magically don't stop.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/325...-club-gold-cup
Nice post!

The NYSGC is also requiring submission of veterinary records for participating horses for three days leading up to the race, which will be published on the NYSGC's web site starting Sept. 25.

By the way, for those curious.. vet records for JCGC.. as well as Travers have been available from a few days before..
http://gaming.ny.gov/newsroom.php

http://gaming.ny.gov/pdf/JC%20Gold%20Cup%202013.pdf
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

So stumbling is a side effect of withdrawal?
Old 09-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
VeryOldMan

Quote:
I had the same thought - was there something about the way the track was groomed or the depth of the surface for the outside gate positions that was unusual enough to trip up the horses? I realize it is the "normal" starting gate position for 1 1/4 miles at Belmont and has been for decades, but that position looks like it has the horses (particularly the outside ones) come out somewhat "against the grain" of the track and it made me wonder if there was something odd about the surface yesterday.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
senortout

all overlooking a huge factor here

Starters(guy who pushes the button to open gates) are the biggest cause of so many horses getting away poorly.

Ask George Cassidy, who was an excellent starter, in his day.
senortout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply