Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 08-25-2020, 12:28 AM   #1
CBYRacer

Cheering for horses

Hopefully a fun question...

How do you all cheer for your pick during a race? Are there certain habits you have (sayings, actions, etc.)?

Took my kids to the track today and they were really loving it and it made me reflect on whether I'm having enough fun just being in the moment and enjoying the race. Of course, having a few contenders and winners helps!

One of my tendencies is to cheer for the horse by name vs. by number. Just feels a little more personal to me.

Would love to hear some of your stories.
CBYRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
johnhenry81

Smile

When I could go to the track or off track, year after year in whatever state I was in, there would always be a guy yelling "one time, one time! which always amusing.

I personally talk to the jockey, asking him not to rub on another horse as he is putting in a stretch run.
johnhenry81 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 08:58 AM   #3
CBYRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhenry81 View Post
When I could go to the track or off track, year after year in whatever state I was in, there would always be a guy yelling "one time, one time! which always amusing.

I personally talk to the jockey, asking him not to rub on another horse as he is putting in a stretch run.
Haha. I like the “one time” cheer. Not sure at all what it means, but it sounds funny
Old 08-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #4
johnhenry81

The "one time" cheer means the guy rarely wins anything of significance, and is begging the racing gods to give him just one.

Last edited by johnhenry81; 08-25-2020 at 09:23 AM. Reason: grammer
johnhenry81 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
RunForTheRoses

If I have a speed horse that jumps out to the lead I'll say "Wire to wire".

Otherwise, I'll echo a patron from when i was a teller-"Let that Two Horse Run" or whatever number applies.

That is really just at home. When I'm out and about I'll usually quietly root. Much boorish behavior at tracks and OTBs. For a while I'd hear racegoers yell "Hit Em". Don't like that. Also, agree with the Andy Beyer rule.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 11:28 AM   #6
CBYRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhenry81 View Post
The "one time" cheer means the guy rarely wins anything of significance, and is begging the racing gods to give him just one.
Haha...I've been there before. Will have to start using that one!
Old 08-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #7
CBYRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
If I have a speed horse that jumps out to the lead I'll say "Wire to wire".

Otherwise, I'll echo a patron from when i was a teller-"Let that Two Horse Run" or whatever number applies.

That is really just at home. When I'm out and about I'll usually quietly root. Much boorish behavior at tracks and OTBs. For a while I'd hear racegoers yell "Hit Em". Don't like that. Also, agree with the Andy Beyer rule.
"Let the 2 horse run" is a good one for down the stretch.

Totally agree with not liking the 'Hit em' statement. Just wrong.

What's the Andy Beyer rule?
Old 08-25-2020, 11:33 AM   #8
jay68802

About 4 yrs ago, we had horse running at Fonner named The Nutz. He had won our biggest race, The Gus Fonner Handicap. He was now 12 yrs old. His last win came at Fonner in a cheap claiming race. When he was coming down the stretch in that race, I was running along the edge of the track, yelling "Win another one for us old guys!". Will always remember that, and the fact that after the race, the owner took me backside and let me meet him.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 11:41 AM   #9
thaskalos

I'm not into "cheering"...but I've adopted an effective way of "coaxing" my horse to the wire when it has secured a contending position while turning for home. I'll roll up my Racing Form and hold it whip-like in my hand...and then rhythmically strike it against the side of my thigh while maintaining a slightly bent-over stance. Vocal encouragement is optional. Call me crazy, but I've found that it helps if I increase the frequency and force of the flailing movement as my horse nears the finish line.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:03 PM   #10
CBYRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
About 4 yrs ago, we had horse running at Fonner named The Nutz. He had won our biggest race, The Gus Fonner Handicap. He was now 12 yrs old. His last win came at Fonner in a cheap claiming race. When he was coming down the stretch in that race, I was running along the edge of the track, yelling "Win another one for us old guys!". Will always remember that, and the fact that after the race, the owner took me backside and let me meet him.
That's a great story! Nothing like cheering for one of your sentimental favorites, even when they start to decline a bit.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #11
CBYRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I'm not into "cheering"...but I've adopted an effective way of "coaxing" my horse to the wire when it has secured a contending position while turning for home. I'll roll up my Racing Form and hold it whip-like in my hand...and then rhythmically strike it against the side of my thigh while maintaining a slightly bent-over stance. Vocal encouragement is optional. Call me crazy, but I've found that it helps if I increase the frequency and force of the flailing movement as my horse nears the finish line.
Haha...this is great. I can see making this very dramatic if you wanted to...vigorous hand ride, going to the whip in the stretch, etc.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #12
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBYRacer View Post
"Let the 2 horse run" is a good one for down the stretch.

Totally agree with not liking the 'Hit em' statement. Just wrong.

What's the Andy Beyer rule?
Need some help here, it was in I believe his first book, the enthusiasm of your rooting should be proportional to your gross yearly income. Something like that.
On the east coast some will seem to root loudly just to mess with other patrons. Some places, like Freehold simulcasting (old poster Charm City can attest) have some unique patrons.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 12:07 PM   #13
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I did that for a while also. Quit after a duel down the long stretch at the Fairgrounds, my leg hurt to much. Walked with a limp for a week after that.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 12:09 PM   #14
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

When I was a younger man at the track, I always used to invoke the jockeys name for encouragement or maybe to more so not screw up. Something like "Come on Perret, bring him home" or "Keep him together Cordero".

Two years ago at the Breeders Cup, my first live racing in years, I found myself yelling out the horses name though, like "Roll by em Yoshida" or "Get up Wow Cat" - neither of those worked out too well for me...

At that Distaff race, we were sitting next to the former trainer of Wow Cat and he and his group of owners from Chile were no help either in booting her home. They were yelling much louder than me and my friend, though mainly in Spanish.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #15
CBYRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
Need some help here, it was in I believe his first book, the enthusiasm of your rooting should be proportional to your gross yearly income. Something like that.
On the east coast some will seem to root loudly just to mess with other patrons. Some places, like Freehold simulcasting (old poster Charm City can attest) have some unique patrons.
Interesting. On the one hand I don't want to be obnoxious, on the other hand it's good to have a little fun. Agree though that the cheering should be proportionate to your projected winnings to some extent. With that said, when the kids are with me and they have $2 to win on the leader, it's tough to keep things in perspective.

When I go with my folks, my mom has a knack for betting $2 to win on the favorite and then wildly cheering for her horse down the stretch as it battles the 10-1 shot that Dad and I just bet $40 on. Inevitably, she ends up winning and there's that brief moment of, "Come on, Ma! Take one for the team!"

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: