Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-18-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
rob1552

Is there a betting service that doesn't track my every move?

I live in Arizona which has so many restrictions on wagering that there's only about three tracks that I can bet. Add to that that I can only place my wager via phone.

I know that I can open an account through a friend who lives in another state, but I'm informed that the major betting services utilize equipment that can tell if you cross a state line. They function much like the National Security Agency (NSA).

I'm looking for a service that isn't quite as zealous as the Big Three.

Any suggestions. I don't want to go offshore, but I will if I must.

Thanks,

Rob in Arizona
rob1552 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2020, 08:30 PM   #2
RunForTheRoses

*Maybe* with a VPN. You can get a good one for about $3 a month. If they use geo location software, NJ does with poker, you wouldn't be able to. But I think TVG you could.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2020, 08:31 PM   #3
oughtoh

I moved to Az and have just about quit betting altogether. Hate betting ver the phone.
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
dilanesp

It's worth noting that some states have laws that preclude bettors from betting on a site not lawful in that state, and a federal statute prohibits any deceptive act to gain access to a website.

Now I doubt any law enforcement agency is out looking for violators of these statutes, but blithely attempting to deprive betting websites of your location information could potentially put you in violation of several laws and is probably not an advisable thing to do.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2020, 10:10 PM   #5
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
It's worth noting that some states have laws that preclude bettors from betting on a site not lawful in that state, and a federal statute prohibits any deceptive act to gain access to a website.

Now I doubt any law enforcement agency is out looking for violators of these statutes, but blithely attempting to deprive betting websites of your location information could potentially put you in violation of several laws and is probably not an advisable thing to do.
you dont know arizona man, it was a 6 year sentence for placing a bet the phone for about a decade.

Only a couple years to be a bookie though, we like our mobsters here but less so our horseplayers.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2020, 10:34 PM   #6
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1552 View Post
I live in Arizona which has so many restrictions on wagering that there's only about three tracks that I can bet. Add to that that I can only place my wager via phone.

I know that I can open an account through a friend who lives in another state, but I'm informed that the major betting services utilize equipment that can tell if you cross a state line. They function much like the National Security Agency (NSA).

I'm looking for a service that isn't quite as zealous as the Big Three.

Any suggestions. I don't want to go offshore, but I will if I must.

Thanks,

Rob in Arizona

As long as you open your account with an approved address, I believe you can bet anywhere in the country (even out of the country as well) for the popular ADW's I'm familiar with. There are some nuanced state restrictions & sometimes betting on a computer vs phone app may add some location issues too, but say you're a resident of Connecticut & they have no restrictions, I believe you can travel as your heart desires & not miss a betting opportunity.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2020, 01:50 AM   #7
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
As long as you open your account with an approved address, I believe you can bet anywhere in the country (even out of the country as well) for the popular ADW's I'm familiar with. There are some nuanced state restrictions & sometimes betting on a computer vs phone app may add some location issues too, but say you're a resident of Connecticut & they have no restrictions, I believe you can travel as your heart desires & not miss a betting opportunity.
nope. come to Texas and get caught.......Misdemeanor the 1st time

But I have never heard of anybody getting burned........
Old 08-19-2020, 01:57 PM   #8
JohnGalt1

Are overseas bookies an option?

In Minnesota we can not bet on Canterbury races using and ADW.

So I may consider if legal.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
Tor Ekman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Not so. I live in NY but not far from border with Connecticut. I don't know if CT has since legalized on-line wagering, but in the past if I strayed too far over the state line into CT, like when we would go to the beach, I would not be able to get bets accepted on either TVG or TwinSpires, one of them, I forget which, would even send a notification that I was in a state that did not allow on-line wagering.
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2020, 02:39 PM   #10
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
nope. come to Texas and get caught.......Misdemeanor the 1st time

But I have never heard of anybody getting burned........
We had a Texas lawyer as a client for over a decade. He actually represented a guy who was charged with a full-bore felony for going to LAD after asking some folks he worked with if they wanted to make any bets.

This man was a professional of some kind - clearly not a bookie or low-life, etc. Just a guy who went to the track every weekend.

On his way to the border, he stopped for a Racing Form and was suddenly surrounded by cops. They treated him like a RICO suspect!

He had (as I recall) $80 worth of "betting slips."

Also, as I recall, the best the lawyer could do was plead him down to a suspended sentence, with a substantial fine. The bad news was that he was barred from all Texas tracks for life.

Don't mess with Texas.
(Or in Texas.)
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2020, 02:51 PM   #11
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
We had a Texas lawyer as a client for over a decade. He actually represented a guy who was charged with a full-bore felony for going to LAD after asking some folks he worked with if they wanted to make any bets.

This man was a professional of some kind - clearly not a bookie or low-life, etc. Just a guy who went to the track every weekend.

On his way to the border, he stopped for a Racing Form and was suddenly surrounded by cops. They treated him like a RICO suspect!

Also, as I recall, the best the lawyer could do was plead him down to a suspended sentence, with a substantial fine. The bad news was that he was barred from all Texas tracks for life.

Don't mess with Texas.
(Or in Texas.)
I remember this story. Thought it was something that would never end up in court.

Last edited by jay68802; 08-19-2020 at 02:56 PM.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #12
dilanesp

Quote:
The bad news was that he was barred from all Texas tracks for life.
The other good news is he doesn't have to pay Texas' mutual takeouts ever again.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2020, 09:40 PM   #13
oughtoh

Thought I would bet some Harness races tonight and when I logged in found out that in Az you not allowed to bet harness. I guess they just don't want us to bet.
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2020, 09:47 PM   #14
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:

Don't mess with Texas.
(Or in Texas.)
I'll bet he wasn't born in Texas, but got there as soon as he could. Oops!
Old 08-19-2020, 10:39 PM   #15
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman View Post
Not so. I live in NY but not far from border with Connecticut. I don't know if CT has since legalized on-line wagering, but in the past if I strayed too far over the state line into CT, like when we would go to the beach, I would not be able to get bets accepted on either TVG or TwinSpires, one of them, I forget which, would even send a notification that I was in a state that did not allow on-line wagering.

Did you try betting using an app or website? For instance I've tried to use the NYRA app in certain states where it was blocked due to location services, but if I just went to a browser and went to nyrabets.com it worked without a problem. Another example is NJ where only 4njbets is allowed for residents, but if you're an NY resident visiting & you go to login to xpressbet, nyra, twinspires, etc you're not going to have a problem logging in.

I don't know what's going on in Texas, but I was under the impression from the outlets I deal with that as long as you're a resident of a legal state & register from there, you shouldn't have an issue logging in wherever you may be, and I've done this without issue in a number of states & countries. TVG might be the most likely to present an issue as they do ask you to affirm what state you're in when logging in, and I think they have possibly set up location detection on their website & not just app.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: