Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
BIG HIT

Wink Ray Taulbot's Pace Computer 3.0

Will this program run with windows7 tried cd-rom but no auto run or setup exe. open folder offered click on application but won't open want to know what to open it with.Did say has 2 disc one being floppy which threw out as new computer dozen't have a floppy insert.Just messing around here.Say on cd to install from start button run setup exe from cd-rom drive.
But when open cd-rom folder there is no setup exe.Anybody else have prgm running on windows 7 ?
BIG HIT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG HIT
Will this program run with windows7 tried cd-rom but no auto run or setup exe. open folder offered click on application but won't open want to know what to open it with.Did say has 2 disc one being floppy which threw out as new computer dozen't have a floppy insert.Just messing around here.Say on cd to install from start button run setup exe from cd-rom drive.
But when open cd-rom folder there is no setup exe.Anybody else have prgm running on windows 7 ?
I have Ray Taulbot's PACE CALC 1.1 version, and it runs on WIN 7. It is obviously older than what you have, so I would assume that yours will also run on WIN 7.
dartman51 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
BIG HIT

Wink Dartman

Thank's I will play with it
Old 12-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
BIG HIT

Wink Dartman

Said won't run on 64 bit just thought you might be interested
Old 12-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG HIT
Said won't run on 64 bit just thought you might be interested
I don't understand that, I have it running, as I write this, on Win 7 Pro OS, on a 64 bit system. It's running fine with no glitches.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
BIG HIT

Wink Dartman

After reading msg above try agian got same msg.Which was the program setup exe cannot start or run due to incompatibity with 64 bit.What ever change's they made since your version i don't know.
But thank's it is enteresting
Old 12-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
GameTheory

There are a few things that will not run under win7 (whether they are restricted to 64bit I don't know). But you if you Win7 Pro, you can install the Microsoft Virtual Machine (if it isn't installed already -- free download) which will create a virtual XP inside your machine. It should run on that.

Or if you have a copy of XP around that you can install, use VirtualBox and create a virtual version that way. (But you have to have an XP CD with valid code that isn't installed somewhere else already -- the MS route is free.) I've retired about 3 XP machines now, but they have all been reborn as virtual versions...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTheory
There are a few things that will not run under win7 (whether they are restricted to 64bit I don't know). But you if you Win7 Pro, you can install the Microsoft Virtual Machine (if it isn't installed already -- free download) which will create a virtual XP inside your machine. It should run on that.

Or if you have a copy of XP around that you can install, use VirtualBox and create a virtual version that way. (But you have to have an XP CD with valid code that isn't installed somewhere else already -- the MS route is free.) I've retired about 3 XP machines now, but they have all been reborn as virtual versions...
Yeah, I have that too, as some of the programs I have won't run under Win 7. Some programs won't let you install on Win 7 with 64 bit, some will let you install but won't run. I have one such program that won't run normally, but I can right click on the desk top icon and click on "Run as Administrator", and it runs fine. My version of R T's PACE CALC, I didn't even "install". I merely "copied" the entire folder from my XP laptop to my PC with Win 7 Pro, placed an icon on the desktop and ran it. So far so good.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
BIG HIT

Wink Gametheroy and Dartman

Thank you both for your time trouble
Old 12-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
Richard

I've been using the old slide rule all year and am up $730.Hope that gives you something to look forward to.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
JimG

I know it's an old program but could someone give a review of it? Do you use it with other software as an adjunct or do you use standalone? It is one of the programs I never acquired but wish I had. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Last edited by JimG; 12-19-2010 at 08:26 AM.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #12
BIG HIT

JIM G

My self was disappointted as they said also came with angles. Which i thought was cool thinking of angle that were on the americanturf website.
But those weren't the angle's.More like one was gain 4 length's in str.Thinking could have been better.But as far as learning curve almost none and sure other's may have it and doing well just was going to give it another chance
Old 12-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #13
Partsnut
BetMix User

JimG:
Quote:
I know it's an old program but could someone give a review of it? Do you use it with other software as an adjunct or do you use standalone? It is one of the programs I never acquired but wish I had. Thanks in advance.

Jim
Jim, I acquired the program several years ago from Star Publishing. It was given to me for free when I was working for them.
I have used it sporatically but it never impressed me much.

I could not install it on my Vista laptop.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #14
timtam

I know the late handicapper/writer Danny Holmes recommended using the

old Pace slide rule in his book 10 Steps to Winning.
timtam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: