Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #301
Half Smoke

I got a big kick out of this 2001 New York Times story on Ernie Dahlman, a winning whale who at the time it was written was betting between 10 and $18 million per year and averaging making $700K per year.

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/03/m...d-of-odds.html
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-24-2019, 07:04 PM   #302
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktruckdriver View Post
Thaskalos I loved your advice back then and it really made me re-think alot of things in ones life. I never did go after my dream of being only a Horse Player...
Patrick...it's a grave miscalculation to direct one's life towards "being only a horse player". It's like attending a huge buffet, and satisfying yourself only with some dry bread. Some of us get so involved in this game that we leave little time in our lives for anything else, and, when that happens, we are all LOSERS in the end...even when the "bottom line" labels us as 'winners'. Live a varied life...because our experiences are the only memories that stay with us. The gambling chips of the games of chance that we partake in come and go.

I wish you good luck and robust health going forward.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:35 PM   #303
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Patrick...it's a grave miscalculation to direct one's life towards "being only a horse player". It's like attending a huge buffet, and satisfying yourself only with some dry bread. Some of us get so involved in this game that we leave little time in our lives for anything else, and, when that happens, we are all LOSERS in the end...even when the "bottom line" labels us as 'winners'. Live a varied life...because our experiences are the only memories that stay with us. The gambling chips of the games of chance that we partake in come and go.

I wish you good luck and robust health going forward.
Very well stated....as usual.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #304
Robert Fischer
clean money

keep on trucking

hope all is well

and that you enjoy the Derby / Triple Crown series etc...

I sent you a pm on Facebook. We'll talk superfectas sometime
Old 03-24-2019, 08:47 PM   #305
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Patrick...it's a grave miscalculation to direct one's life towards "being only a horse player". It's like attending a huge buffet, and satisfying yourself only with some dry bread.
What if I go and only eat the Steamship Roast Beef?
Old 03-24-2019, 10:23 PM   #306
fast4522

pktruckdriver

Nice blog, good to see your post.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #307
Gakiss2
Data Warbucks

Weighing in among Titans

I am fairly new to the game, just a few years. And I live off my job(and occasionally bet from work but don't tell my boss). I think I enjoy it too much to make it a living. I wouldn't like passing on joy of discovering if I was right or wrong just because it's not the ideal value play.

I do think a fellow with the right head for business and some ideas to share could find a way to make money selling books, picks, services, or whatever. It would be a lot of work and a little money but it would beat working a real job... Like I do.

Keeneland's coming up in a couple days and I'll be there. Stop by and say Hi!
Old 04-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #308
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
What if I go and only eat the Steamship Roast Beef?
Win, Win!

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2019, 10:24 AM   #309
castaway01

This thread was always more complicated than "is it possible" because Patrick had no bankroll to get started with but was looking to immediately turn pro. I never thought that wise, though others said that was just killing someone's dream.

For me, the reality is:
(hopefully) making a little money from something I consider a fun challenge in my spare time = fun

Making a little money from something that is my main source of income that I need to support my family = incredibly stressful and not at all enjoyable
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #310
rubicon55

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
This thread was always more complicated than "is it possible" because Patrick had no bankroll to get started with but was looking to immediately turn pro. I never thought that wise, though others said that was just killing someone's dream.

For me, the reality is:
(hopefully) making a little money from something I consider a fun challenge in my spare time = fun

Making a little money from something that is my main source of income that I need to support my family = incredibly stressful and not at all enjoyable
Could not agree more. There is a big difference between wanting and needing something.
rubicon55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #311
Robert Fischer
clean money

Is it possible?

If you can reach competence, be prepared to work for low wages for a year or so.

It's your personal ATM, and you can take pennies out and then nickles and then dimes...

You have to be a very patient and a very disciplined man. You also have to have something on the side as a way to pay for your basic needs while you wait for your bankroll to build.

There is a lot of money in horse racing. If you can reach competence to have a positive return in this difficult game, with it's exorbitant takeout, then some basic social skills and a good connection or two could put you in position to help a training/claiming operation, or certain owners, or a horse racing media, or a betting syndicate, or a whale...
As fascinating it is to think about "beating the game", it may not be the highest and best use of your value.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: