Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-02-2021, 09:07 PM   #46
razor68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Pete would be missed-don't you think?-no matter who filled in. He has become inextricably lnked with mnr and built such a loyal following.

But more to your point..Bobbie is the ultimate trooper and does his level best to improve. And I know it's not relevant, but he is a very nice guy.

And as you may have guessed, options are limited. VERY LIMITED. Perhaps even non-existent at this stage and time.

Hope all is well with you, sir.
There are many people who would jump at that job. The guy is awful no matter how much he improves. Hes not a horse caller. He does not have anything that fits that role. Its bad when people are betting real money having to listen to that crap.
razor68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2021, 01:36 AM   #47
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor68 View Post
There are many people who would jump at that job. The guy is awful no matter how much he improves. Hes not a horse caller. He does not have anything that fits that role. Its bad when people are betting real money having to listen to that crap.
Tx for the response. And good luck in your wagering.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2021, 11:54 PM   #48
BMustang

Quote:
Tx for the response. And good luck in your wagering.
Mark,
Your loyalty and support of this guy, who is probably a friend who you want badly to succeed, is admirable, BUT what needs to be admitted is how very awful he is. Nice guy, smice guy!!! He is a horrible race caller who needs to be replaced. His calls "almost" make Ed Meier's race calling sound accomplished.

Allowing this guy to call the West Virginia Derby card was embarrassing. I feel bad for him, for you, and for "Mountaineer Nation" that he was permitted to call a quality card, with top notch riders, trainers, and fans who normally don't frequent Mountain broadcasts.

It's so bad that I am about to jump in my car, drive to New Cumberland and audition for the job.
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2021, 12:15 AM   #49
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Why can’t race callers call from home ? There’s gotta be a few sitting out there at home that could do it via zoom?
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #50
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMustang View Post
Mark,
Your loyalty and support of this guy, who is probably a friend who you want badly to succeed, is admirable, BUT what needs to be admitted is how very awful he is. Nice guy, smice guy!!! He is a horrible race caller who needs to be replaced. His calls "almost" make Ed Meier's race calling sound accomplished.

Allowing this guy to call the West Virginia Derby card was embarrassing. I feel bad for him, for you, and for "Mountaineer Nation" that he was permitted to call a quality card, with top notch riders, trainers, and fans who normally don't frequent Mountain broadcasts.

It's so bad that I am about to jump in my car, drive to New Cumberland and audition for the job.
To be honest, I rarely even listen to Mnr calls. I keep the volume down and am too consumed with the show.

I do respect what you're saying, but it's all far above my pay grade.

Please appreciate what an awkward position Pete's steadfast silence and my own lack of status at Mnr have put me in.

I'm just a soldier, Mustang.

Last edited by mountainman; 08-09-2021 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #51
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMustang View Post
Mark,

I haven't bet MNR in ages but all this talk about the announcer had me watch some race replays. I think the issue is his voice, which he has no control over.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2021, 08:43 PM   #52
Wickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I haven't bet MNR in ages but all this talk about the announcer had me watch some race replays. I think the issue is his voice, which he has no control over.
Actually, I think MNR announcer has upped his game in the last week or so. He's showing more emotion and you can't knock his accuracy. But an announcer's voice he does not have.
Wickel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2021, 09:18 AM   #53
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

I hope to be cleared by my doctors to return to work in the next week or so but Mountaineer would then need to sign off on it. This journey has been mentally and physically debilitating and there were days I thought I was going to die. On a positive note, I did lose 35 pounds in the first three weeks.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2021, 11:54 AM   #54
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
I hope to be cleared by my doctors to return to work in the next week or so but Mountaineer would then need to sign off on it. This journey has been mentally and physically debilitating and there were days I thought I was going to die. On a positive note, I did lose 35 pounds in the first three weeks.
Thank you very much, Peter. I hope things continue for you on an upward trek...and look forward to hearing your work again.

Old 08-25-2021, 12:33 PM   #55
Inner Dirt

Quote:

Glad you beat whatever ailed you. You were one of my favorite callers, unfortunately I bailed betting MNR as I could never get a feel for the track.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2021, 04:30 PM   #56
jameegray1

Quote:
Sorry to hear you've been going through such a tough time Peter. Hope you are back calling Mountaineer races very soon!
jameegray1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2021, 05:15 PM   #57
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Prayers up. Always appreciated your calls. Those and Mark P's analysis made me follow MNR when I otherwise wouldn't have. Highest praise I can offer as a recreational bettor but also a long time fan of the sport.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2021, 06:16 PM   #58
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryOldMan View Post
Prayers up. Always appreciated your calls. Those and Mark P's analysis made me follow MNR when I otherwise wouldn't have. Highest praise I can offer as a recreational bettor but also a long time fan of the sport.
Sounds like we are getting the band back together...
Old 08-25-2021, 06:55 PM   #59
jameegray1

Quote:
Sounds like we are getting the band back together...
jameegray1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #60
jimmyb

Quote:
Great news! You've been missed.
jimmyb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: