Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 02:18 AM   #31
SuperPickle

I feel like all announcing threads wind up back at Durkin. Can we all just agree he's the greatest race caller ever? He's to racing calling what Baffert is to three year old colts. A man among boys.

With that out of the way I think Pete is doing much better than anticipated. Out of people currently calling races in January 2017 he's as good as anyone outside of Trevor.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2017, 12:53 PM   #32
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
I feel like all announcing threads wind up back at Durkin. Can we all just agree he's the greatest race caller ever? He's to racing calling what Baffert is to three year old colts. A man among boys.
I don't agree with that at all. Durkin was good but highly overrated. I don't like screamers in any sport.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #33
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Durkin was by no means a "screamer" in the vein of a Vic Stauffer or Larry Collmus...

Durkin, in his prime, was announcing perfection personified, plain and simple.

I know thask will always go back to the 2010 Belmont in his attempt to cut Durkin down, but that's like saying Michael Jordan sucked as a basketball player because of his two years playing for the Wizards...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #34
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Durkin was by no means a "screamer" in the vein of a Vic Stauffer or Larry Collmus...

I know thask will always go back to the 2010 Belmont in his attempt to cut Durkin down, but that's like saying Michael Jordan sucked as a basketball player because of his two years playing for the Wizards...
Of course Durkin screamed. Go watch the 1987 Breeders Cup Juvenile (I pick that race because it wasn't a very exciting or important race, but Durkin's voice cracked at the end of it anyway screaming "yes").
Old 02-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #35
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage

I keep bringing up the 2010 Belmont to show how objectivity goes out the window when the conversation turns to anything concerning Durkin. Even at the twilight of his career, when his skills had obviously diminished, there were esteemed posters here who were declaring that Durkin was STILL "miles ahead" of everybody else in race announcing. After the 2010 Belmont...even JustRalph came onto this board to tell us that Durkin's call was "Great"...although it obviously sucked on so many levels. "First Dude settles into that powerful stride of his...he stretches those long legs...furlong after powerful furlong"...such commentating is just silly, IMO...even without the hilarity at the end of the race.

Durkin was great...but he was butchering calls with regularity in NY the last few years of his career, and he had obviously reached a point where he just didn't deserve the high accolades that his nostalgic fans were showering him with during his twilight years. Even at the end, most members here were saying that Durkin was still way better than Michael Wrona...and that was clearly insulting to Michael Wrona.

Even an icon eventually loses its luster...and the many Durkin faithful just couldn't bring themselves to admit that about the former announcing legend.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #36
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Of course Durkin screamed. Go watch the 1987 Breeders Cup Juvenile (I pick that race because it wasn't a very exciting or important race, but Durkin's voice cracked at the end of it anyway screaming "yes").
There is subtlety to my prior reply which you seemed to miss. I didn't say Durkin never "screamed." I said he wasn't a "screamer" like Collmus or Stauffer. Durkin has a deep, baritone voice and his "screaming" doesn't come off quite as shrill (and annoying) as Collmus, especially.

I didn't mean to imply that Durkin never raised his volume at the end of his calls.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2017, 04:40 PM   #37
AltonKelsey
Veteran

No love here for Collmus at all, and he's IMPROVED the last few years.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #38
SuperPickle

Quote:
I don't agree with that at all. Durkin was good but highly overrated. I don't like screamers in any sport.
I'll be here quietly sitting in the corner waiting for a list of announcers better than Durkin.

Btw... calling him highly overrated is insane especially given the current state of racetrack announcing.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #39
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
I'll be here quietly sitting in the corner waiting for a list of announcers better than Durkin.

Btw... calling him highly overrated is insane especially given the current state of racetrack announcing.
It is a matter of taste, but I like Wrona, Trevor, Kruytbosch, Harry Henson, Marshall Cassidy, Robert Geller, and a few others. I think Collmus is pretty good too, but I liked him better when he was at second tier tracks.

Durkin was a good announcer, especially early in his career. But I don't think he was better than Stauffer or Dave Johnson or Rodman, let alone the people I mention above.

I will say this- Durkin was the best harness announcer i ever heard.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:48 AM   #40
outofthebox

Quote:
It is a matter of taste, but I like Wrona, Trevor, Kruytbosch, Harry Henson, Marshall Cassidy, Robert Geller, and a few others. I think Collmus is pretty good too, but I liked him better when he was at second tier tracks.

Durkin was a good announcer, especially early in his career. But I don't think he was better than Stauffer or Dave Johnson or Rodman, let alone the people I mention above.

I will say this- Durkin was the best harness announcer i ever heard.
I grew up listening to Chick Anderson and Dave Johnson at SA, Harry Henson doing HP and Del Mar. I also enjoyed the calls of Robin Burns at HP harness.
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #41
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox
I grew up listening to Chick Anderson and Dave Johnson at SA, Harry Henson doing HP and Del Mar. I also enjoyed the calls of Robin Burns at HP harness.
I remember Robin calling in Maryland, both harness and thoroughbreds. He still calling races anywhere?

EDIT: Did a quick search, looks like he is in North Carolina in the golf business.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/robert-robin-burns-869b4214

Last edited by cj; 02-08-2017 at 12:25 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #42
Wickel

Agree that Durkin is king. He has (or had) no equal). But I disagree with many on Collmus. When you consider accuracy, excitement, flow and voice, he's at the top right now. Stauffer has always been an upper-echelon caller and John Dooley and Rodman are decent. The most underrated racecaller is Kurt Becker at Keeneland. He possess a unique style and voice and more than gets the job done. Travis Stone goes through the motions, Wrona still collared with too much of a European style (too many odd phrases, and I say this respectfully), and Aiello and Espinosa (CT) sound like they just finished a stint on The Price is Right!

Harry Henson always wintered at Sunland Park, and I was privileged to hear his work back in the day.
Wickel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #43
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickel
Agree that Durkin is king. He has (or had) no equal). But I disagree with many on Collmus. When you consider accuracy, excitement, flow and voice, he's at the top right now. Stauffer has always been an upper-echelon caller and John Dooley and Rodman are decent. The most underrated racecaller is Kurt Becker at Keeneland. He possess a unique style and voice and more than gets the job done. Travis Stone goes through the motions, Wrona still collared with too much of a European style (too many odd phrases, and I say this respectfully), and Aiello and Espinosa (CT) sound like they just finished a stint on The Price is Right!

Harry Henson always wintered at Sunland Park, and I was privileged to hear his work back in the day.
To me...Vic Stauffer's announcing has been decidedly less than stellar so far at Oaklawn.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #44
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
To me...Vic Stauffer's announcing has been decidedly less than stellar so far at Oaklawn.
I haven't heard much of him at Oaklawn (just a couple of big stakes), but I did hear him at Fresno last year and he certainly was a bit rusty-- he had some good moments and some, um, not so good ones.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:33 PM   #45
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I think Vic would probably admit that himself. I've noticed some mistakes and some long, uncomfortable pauses. I'm willing to chalk it up to rust and learning a new track. Let see how he does from here on.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply