Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-20-2019, 07:44 PM   #46
Maximillion

I think it was a horse named On Display.
It was a lower level ,deep ( I mean way back there) closer.The horse did manage to win his share....usually at a big price- and I cashed on him at least 4 times.I was using some kind of goofy, final fraction/lengths gained thing back then.Citation would have been no match for this horse using my ratings at the time.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #47
Secondbest

Globemaster winner of the 1960 Wood. Paid $36 I think. Not my biggest but the first. I was 12 .My father took me to Aqueduct for the first time. I don't remember why but I liked him over Carry Back the big favorite.
Another was a horse called Pipes O Pan. Paid about 39. I was around 18 or so. A well dressed man came over to my father and I and asked to see our telly. He said his son worked for the stable and the horse was live. Also said horse has some class and that's good at distance. Pipes won. Never won again. I learned then that the pps do not tell all.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2019, 11:11 PM   #48
Afleet

had this pick 6; forgot there was a $57 winner in the sequence-came back light (I always think it comes back light)

http://www.equibase.com/premium/char...7&cy=USA&rn=12

Last edited by Afleet; 11-20-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2019, 12:33 AM   #49
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
had this pick 6; forgot there was a $57 winner in the sequence-came back light (I always think it comes back light)

http://www.equibase.com/premium/char...7&cy=USA&rn=12
Twice the parlay isn't light.

That $57 horse, up from Calder, was very strange....and was also disqualified from purse money later for some medication infraction I believe. I feel like there was a story even that day but I can't seem to remember.

It's fun looking back on old charts.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2019, 05:04 AM   #50
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I have way too many...quite a few have been documented on this board (triple digit win payout plays).

One of my most memorable and quite profitable horses was also Cigar.

I remember leaving Atlantic City early to drive back to Aqueduct to see him run in the NYRA Mile, which was his second career start on dirt. If I recall, he went off at 8-1 that day, and I couldn't wait to bet him...I think I was hanging out with andicap that day as well at the Big A (and I wish he would get back to posting more often on this board).

Those were the days.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:09 AM   #51
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I have way too many...quite a few have been documented on this board (triple digit win payout plays).

I remember leaving Atlantic City early to drive back to Aqueduct to see him run in the NYRA Mile, which was his second career start on dirt. If I recall, he went off at 8-1 that day, and I couldn't wait to bet him...I think I was hanging out with andicap that day as well at the Big A (and I wish he would get back to posting more often on this board).

Those were the days.
I didn't bet him that day, but I was at Hollywood Park that day and saw that race on Hollywood Park's TV system, and I remember thinking "wow!". I had seen Cigar run on the grass in California, and it was obvious that this was a different racehorse.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #52
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

Those were the days.
He actually began his career on dirt, broke his maiden on it. He ran very fast in doing so. The NYRA Mile was his fourth try on dirt. It was always a bit of a mystery why it took him so long to get another chance. Those were the days where you only ever saw 10 PP lines so you had to look back through old charts. I bet him in his return to dirt and in the NYRA Mile. Good times those days when you had to do the work yourself.

http://www.equibase.com/premium/char...93&cy=USA&rn=3
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #53
foregoforever

It's a bittersweet one for me. I had Pinker Pinker in the 2011 Cox Plate and got something like 25-1 on her. I was playing Aussie racing a lot back then and had studied every prep race that year. I was convinced that she was the best horse in the race, but no one was touting her for some reason. It was the largest win bet that I've ever placed at long odds.

She started mid-pack and actually drifted back a bit before starting her run, but then made a great tactical move heading toward the final turn and got to an open pocket on the rail. At the top of the stretch, there were 3 horses ahead of her, and she shifted out to get a clear run. When she got clear, I knew the race was over. No one had outrun her in the stretch in her prep races.

After that I had that glorious feeling that I was getting pretty good at this, and the game isn't all that difficult. It was great for the short while it lasted.

And then, five months later, she was being given a routine injection that she'd had numerous times before, and dropped dead from anaphylactic shock. The necropsy confirmed that there was no funny business involved. Just one of those things. Still haven't gotten over it.
foregoforever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2019, 10:58 AM   #54
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
He actually began his career on dirt, broke his maiden on it. He ran very fast in doing so. The NYRA Mile was his fourth try on dirt. It was always a bit of a mystery why it took him so long to get another chance. Those were the days where you only ever saw 10 PP lines so you had to look back through old charts. I bet him in his return to dirt and in the NYRA Mile. Good times those days when you had to do the work yourself.

I think it was a simple case of trainer error. He had a different trainer out here, I think the guy's name was Alex Hassinger. Hassinger had a bunch of Paulson horses, but he wasn't one of the leading lights here by any definition. (Paulson had employed Charlie Whittingham prior to Whittingham's death.)

Hassinger, for whatever reason, was convinced that Cigar was a grass horse, and tried over and over again. When Paulson shipped back to New York, Bill Mott- who IS one of the leading lights- got the horse. And Mott apparently realized what he had.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #55
the little guy

Quote:

I think he even paid around $7 in the allowance race at Aqueduct. His first two races were fast. Without looking at charts, do you remember who won the race before Cigar won the NYRA Mile....and what the circumstances were?
Old 11-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #56
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
I think he even paid around $7 in the allowance race at Aqueduct. His first two races were fast. Without looking at charts, do you remember who won the race before Cigar won the NYRA Mile....and what the circumstances were?
Pretty sure it was $9.

I don't remember the prior race to the Cigar but I'm sure I will when you refresh me. I spent the day at Ocean Downs with my brother and father, always used to do Thanksgiving week in Ocean City.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #57
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Pretty sure it was $9.

I don't remember the prior race to the Cigar but I'm sure I will when you refresh me. I spent the day at Ocean Downs with my brother and father, always used to do Thanksgiving week in Ocean City.
Damn it, should have remembered that one!
Old 11-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #58
the little guy

Quote:
Damn it, should have remembered that one!
You should have:-)

Someone here will get it....and then spell the trainer's name wrong.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #59
the little guy

Quote:
Pretty sure it was $9.

You're right...it was $9 even.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #60
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Twice the parlay isn't light.

That $57 horse, up from Calder, was very strange....and was also disqualified from purse money later for some medication infraction I believe. I feel like there was a story even that day but I can't seem to remember.

It's fun looking back on old charts.
It is fun looking back. I remember it was supposed to rain late in the card and that horse had some big mud Tomlinson or freaked in the slop at Calder in the past with a big fig-so I tossed him in praying the forecast was right. Singled Zipperoo, Street Sense and Hard Spun. Think I spent $48 on the ticket
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply