Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-09-2018, 06:15 AM   #16
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I didnt think anyone hit anything, it was a 25/1 shot who won the last....I am confused.
Jackpot paid out to 1 ticket, $730,315 I was watching live, Wrona referenced it in his call
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #17
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Wait, so did something go wrong here, and is this related to the other thread about Sunday's P6. Read the OP to mean that someone thought he was getting the whole jackpot and it was actually split. But the other thread makes it seem that it was hit for the whole pot
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #18
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I believe the only thing that happened was that at the time, everyone thought there was only one horse alive to the single winning ticket jackpot (the horse that actually won at 22/1).

The truth was that there were two horses alive to that jackpot.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #19
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I believe the only thing that happened was that at the time, everyone thought there was only one horse alive to the single winning ticket jackpot (the horse that actually won at 22/1).

Interesting. So really this is a win for industry transparency but furthers the idea that, my god, the technology used is awful
Old 04-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #20
Denny
Veteran

Fix a Six Jackpot

PP,
How do we know that someone with computer access isn't Fixing Sixes?

Just doing it more cleverly so as not to get caught like the Catskill idjit. He made it obvious with his all-singles leading up to the last part of the sequence.

Someone good could past post a ticket that includes more losers along the way - on purpose - so as not to get caught.

I'd do it if i knew i'd get away with it.

Jackpots are too tempting for someone not to.

Remember what I posted once before. The computer room has the highest security access at the track. But, SOMEONE has access to the computer system.

[It doesn't even have to be a jackpot. There was a single winning ticket on a big Pick 5 last year at Saratoga. it was a high 6 digit payoff. that would very tempting to someone with access]

Last edited by Denny; 04-09-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #21
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBoyle View Post
Interesting. So really this is a win for industry transparency but furthers the idea that, my god, the technology used is awful
The technology is awful. You should read Mike Maloney's book if you haven't already. The next to last chapter deals with a bunch of this stuff.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #22
Denny
Veteran

Then there's the old-fashioned way.

Fixing individual races in the sequence by trainers with multiple horses entered and covering enough combinations in other races.

Who's going to stop that?
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #23
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
PP,

Just doing it more cleverly so as not to get caught like the Catskill idjit. He made it obvious with his all-singles leading up to the last part of the sequence.

Someone good could past post a ticket that includes more losers along the way - on purpose - so as not to get caught.

Remember what I posted once before. The computer room has the highest security access at the track. But, SOMEONE has access to the computer system.

[It doesn't even have to be a jackpot. There was a single winning ticket on a big Pick 5 last year at Saratoga. it was a high 6 digit payoff. that would very tempting to someone with access]
If you're one of the few winning players in this world, and you play via ADW, what's to stop someone at the ADW from piggybacking on your bets? What's to stop some programmer from creating a script to automatically duplicate your bets for his own account?

An ADW can find out in two seconds who all their long term winning players are...

You could go on and on with scenarios where someone or something is ripping you off at the track, and EVERYWHERE ELSE in this world.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-09-2018 at 11:58 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #24
jay68802

Quote:
I watched the race live.

The 25/1 shot was the only live single ticket, according to track announcer Michael Wrona. He called it down the stretch...and he announced the payout after the race was official. Something like $750,000...

So, since cj entitled the thread "Man, this is bad" I'm assuming the person who thought they won, actually didn't.

Hope they cashed that ticket quickly...
Quote:

Oh, crap, the odds are even dropping in this thread.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #25
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
If you're one of the few winning players in this world, and you play via ADW, what's to stop someone at the ADW from piggybacking on your bets? What's to stop some programmer from creating a script to automatically duplicate your bets for his own account?

An ADW can find out in two seconds who all their long term winning players are...

You could go on and on with scenarios where someone or something is ripping you off at the track, and EVERYWHERE ELSE in this world.
This is one of of my biggest, if not the biggest, fear I have with betting.

Though hopefully, whoever they're mimicking would be betting their runners to the point that any further betting results in negative edge.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #26
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post

Look at the carryovers across the country on a typical day of racing. Jackpots lead the way, and appear to my untrained eye to be gaining in popularity.

I agree that that drugs and cheating are big problems, if not bigger problems, and I would submit the jackpot style pools are a desperate attempt by the parasite to maintain life while the host is dying.

BUT - there is a minimum number of players that will continue to play the horses, short of the Sun going supernova, no matter what.
So true, they push those things to the moon and back. When I rarely watch TVG that's all they do......pick sequences. The guy on Capital OTB picks 6 out of 8 horses for a leg......and the 7th one usually wins. These guys have trouble picking one! Let alone, 3, 4, 5 or 6!

If you don't watch the track prattle shows its about 75% pick talk. Not that I'm against it, they are the biggest scores. But its clear the industry is pushing these bets to stay afloat. That's fine too, but at least have the technology to back these bets. Things like this should not happen and if one group got caught rigging it...........it does not take a giant leap to believe others have pulled it off. The guys that got caught were greedy and not very bright and they even got away with it a couple times before they got popped.

Just the fact that things like this get through shows that all they really care about is counting the money......the host is damn near dead.......probably on life support.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2018, 12:34 PM   #27
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
PP,

Because you can't control what everyone else is betting. With the Fix 6, they put in a ticket that could not lose and got caught because a huge longshot blew up the prices. With jackpot bets you have to be the only one with the ticket---you can put in all the crazy tickets you want but you can't control what every other bettor in the country does. In other words, not an ideal situation to run a scam.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #28
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

This is exactly why I am advocating Federal regulation of racing.

Racing is advertising a price for a product that that will not be determined until well after the race is won. It is no different than a store advertising $100 freezers until you get inside and they are "out" of them.

Had it ended up not being a jackpot race after Wrona stupidly gloated about it in his call, I would say ehe guy would have a damn good law suit against SA for this.

Tracks need to get their shit together, and tell their announces to keep their mouths shut about thing they really know nothing about.

Just another example of the incompetence of the game to run itself.

Did they ever hear of risk analysis?