Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #31
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I can't believe some people are still debating whether a man who lost his very life to racing, "made enough" from the sport...
Old 03-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #32
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Here is an example of a mount fee:

http://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-com...-losing-mounts

I don't think you get both, only if you don't get a share of the purse do you get the mount fee.

Here were his stats for 2017. What do people think he cleared on the year?

2017 429 49 52 44 $1,720,288

I don't know the answer. Would like to hear some educated guesses.
Maybe 60k
Old 03-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #33
whisperlunch

Pace ,

This is where the debate starts getting sideways. This is not an attack on Flores. Not even close. The mans name is irrelevant. The occupation is irrelevant
It’s about some one requesting money on behalf of someone else out of need. When the subject of the request appeared to be very successful in his chosen profession. I was just questioning if I was an asshole for saying wait this guy was at the top of his profession why does he need money donations. That’s all. I wonder why it’s assumed he was broke or why his family needed it ? At what point in life is it okay to say stop. Enough of the asking for money from others. Buy insurance save your money in case of an unexpected death.
The more i think about it I was dead wrong to go after Brooklyn. My apologies. But I have a righ to say let’a get more info on why this family needs help....
Old 03-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #34
AstrosFan
math/science # cruncher

Quote:

I don't think you get both, only if you don't get a share of the purse do you get the mount fee.

Highlighted in yellow would be a rough guess after equibase stats

Calculations are 10% of the purse minus 10% agent fee and it doesn't include per mount losing fee or anything else associated with being a rider
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Earnings.pdf (52.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-29-2018, 07:04 PM   #35
proximity

Quote:

they don't get both. ten years ago when slots came to lowly PEN, last place horses started getting $200 and the mount fee was like $75.

like I said the bottom line is that top jockeys in Pennsylvania make significantly more than your average railbird and i don't think the op should be piled on for that reason alone.

jmo
Old 03-29-2018, 07:34 PM   #36
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperlunch View Post
Pace ,

This is where the debate starts getting sideways. This is not an attack on Flores. Not even close. The mans name is irrelevant. The occupation is irrelevant
It’s about some one requesting money on behalf of someone else out of need. When the subject of the request appeared to be very successful in his chosen profession. I was just questioning if I was an asshole for saying wait this guy was at the top of his profession why does he need money donations. That’s all. I wonder why it’s assumed he was broke or why his family needed it ? At what point in life is it okay to say stop. Enough of the asking for money from others. Buy insurance save your money in case of an unexpected death.
The more i think about it I was dead wrong to go after Brooklyn. My apologies. But I have a righ to say let’a get more info on why this family needs help....

Of course you have the right. Again, I really appreciate anyone who can admit their mistakes.

All that behind us, if someone is holding a sign, "Hungry, please donate," does it really matter HOW they came to be in this situation? Obviously, life went wrong for them somewhere.

In the moment, we will either give or not, as we see fit. But making a judgement call based upon things like:
  1. "Oh, poor guy. He never had a chance in life, so I will give."
  2. "He had the same chance as the rest of us so I will give nothing."

While I certainly cannot speak for anyone but myself, IMHO... both of these are highly judgmental positions.

Just my opinion.

Dave
Old 03-29-2018, 07:37 PM   #37
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I can't believe some people are still debating whether a man who lost his very life to racing, "made enough" from the sport...
I know you know this, but in case others don't I'm not debating it. I'm trying to shed some light on some misconceptions out there.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:38 PM   #38
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstrosFan View Post
Highlighted in yellow would be a rough guess after equibase stats

Calculations are 10% of the purse minus 10% agent fee and it doesn't include per mount losing fee or anything else associated with being a rider
Insurance has to be a small fortune, right? Medical and life.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:57 PM   #39
whisperlunch

Dave im not sure if your agreeing with me or disagreeing but I like your input on this forum. Thanks.

I just thought this was an interesting topic/situation . I was curious if any others agreed with me. But apparently not. I hope to run into Brooklyn at the Florida derby. He’s like 7ft tall hard to miss him.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:01 PM   #40
Track Phantom

Quote:
Dave im not sure if your agreeing with me or disagreeing but I like your input on this forum. Thanks.

I just thought this was an interesting topic/situation . I was curious if any others agreed with me. But apparently not. I hope to run into Brooklyn at the Florida derby. He’s like 7ft tall hard to miss him.
Not sure I understand your fascination with this guy. Who is he? Never heard of him.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:02 PM   #41
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
But I have a righ to say let’a get more info on why this family needs help....
What the hell business is it of yours? You either donate and help them out or you ignore them and don't. It's very simple. Nobody is putting a gun to your head and stealing money from your wallet.

Move on already and stop obsessing about it and "the Cowboy."

Thanks.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 03-29-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:11 PM   #42
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Dave im not sure if your agreeing with me or disagreeing
Whisper,

Actually, neither. LOL

As you said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. And, then you asked for counsel. Finally, you were open to changing your position (in terms of your action).

All that is to be respected.

The other part... best told by a story.

I had a long-time friend. He was a fellow programmer that I'd known since 1991. Not a BFF, but we knew each other for over two decades of literally multiple communications per week.

Although I am somewhat right-of-center politically, compared to him, well... let's just say that he was ultra-right.

He firmly believed that you get what you earn, and you get what you deserve. Period. End of story.

Specifically, he used to lecture everyone on health care not being a right and that everyone should provide for themselves as he had done. (Special note: This is not about a political position.)

Over an 18-month period, his business failed, he lost everything he owned, and he had to start over from scratch. Then his wife left him.

A year after that, he got cancer.

That was when he started a GoFundMe to raise money for his "alternative" cancer therapy.

The hypocrisy of this was just appalling to me, and I did not contribute.

I never told him how I felt.

My point is that we all make judgments and then decisions based upon those judgments. Personally, I did not feel the need to involve him in any of that; either the judgment or the decision. I simply did not contribute.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 03-29-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:01 PM   #43
thaskalos

Some people give freely...and others analyze things to death before dipping their hand in their pocket. Either way, they are right...as long as they don't make an "exhibition" of their choice. Whether one gives or not...the act is cheapened greatly when one feels compelled to make an "announcement" about it. That's how I see it.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:33 PM   #44
whisperlunch

I’m a huge horse racing fan. I was I introduced to this site years Ago by one of my dear friends and mentors Jim the Hat Bradshaw
I respect this site and most all of the opinions and content. I thought it was an interesting topic and thought I’d share. Now I mentioned in the first post that I may get banned. Now I may be correct.

I have no fascination with this guy. I think he is as good as I’ve seen in awhile. I’m amazed others don’t question this kind of stuff. Maybe I’m just dead wrong.

Thanks Dave. I’ve followed you quite a bit and respect your take.

Who’s gonna win the Florida deby????

Peace
Old 03-30-2018, 01:59 AM   #45
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Here's my opinion, since we're slinging them around freely in this thread.

I think it's cold and callous and downright icky to be micro-analyzing this poor dead jockey's estate...trying to figure out if the family really needs/deserves to set up a gofundme page. (I'm talking directly to whisper here, not pointing the finger at anyone else who may have been collateral damage).

Most people who are well off don't bother setting up gofundme sites. I said most...there are always exceptions I suppose. So chances are, they set it up for a good reason.

I haven't thought about banning you (yet), so not sure why there is such paranoia, unless you really are trolling me...which I'm starting to suspect more and more as you continue to pound away mercilessly at this particular topic.

I'm fatigued, and a little bit (well, a lot actually) embarrassed by this thread and how it's evolved. I thought there would be more respect shown for this man (and his family) who died in an absolutely horrific manner doing what he and all of us here love.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: