Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #16
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Clearly an execution.
Fry the cop.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #17
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
You offer nothing
Except his perspective........

What's wrong with that?
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2016, 12:00 PM   #18
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Except his perspective........

What's wrong with that?
You don't know the history btw he and I...it's a long story, a UT-LSU thing that he started long ago by talking nasty trash...speaking on behalf of a university he attended but never graduated from (I'll let you draw your own conclusions why)
In other words...his views on Louisiana are a bit slanted to say the least.

Last edited by PhantomOnTour; 07-06-2016 at 12:09 PM.
PhantomOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #19
Grits

I'm not understanding some of the malice towards police officers as a whole. Though, I can't watch the video knowing this man was likely murdered. Racism is alive and well. Sadly. Do I believe there are law enforcement members who are capable of crime? Yes. Do I distrust or dislike law enforcement in general? No, I do not. Experiences I've had with them have been supportive. .... Still, these men and women should know by now, full well, cameras are everywhere.

On a side note: There's a best selling novel written by southern author, Greg Iles (a resident of the city of the book's name), Natchez Burning. I finished it a few weeks ago. A novel of historical fiction based on over 6 years of research into the unsolved murders of folks in the deep South during the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Some of these murders involved law enforcement and some of these individuals never served a day behind bars for these killings. I hadn't, in my lifetime, ever heard of an elite group outside of the KKK whose activity was agonizingly violent. It was one of the most difficult books I've ever read...haunting because of its truth.

A link to an interview with the author.
http://www.hannapub.com/concordiasen...atchez-burning
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #20
Marshall Bennett

Almost wonder if there isn't more hidden by the front of the vehicle going on here unless this cop was losing his mind. This is as much as an execution.
A previous poster mentioned S.Louisiana and racism. I worked for years in and around SE Louisiana. Times have changed maybe, but it wasn't only racism it was anybody that was disrespectful to a law officer. Suspects shot and tossed in nearby bayous. Suspects found dead alongside highways behind wheel of their cars, and scores of open-ended cases where people were found shot dead and never solved.
I don't believe much of this exist there anymore, but I'm sure the emotions linger that trigger it. Imo, one of two things happened here. Either the cop was out of his mind, or the suspect had a gun in his hand. Nothing else makes any sense. Even if it were only 1 or 2 seconds, the cop had ample time between reaching back to his holster pulling out his gun and shooting to say he simply made a terrible mistake.

Last edited by Marshall Bennett; 07-06-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #21
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
Didn't watch, obviously from reports the cops used unwarranted force. On the other hand I will venture a guess the guy didn't have this negative run in with police because he was singing too loud in church. In all these police killings that draw the ire of "Black lives Matter" no one states the obvious that if you stop committing crimes the chances of a negative interaction with police go way down. In my 55 years on Earth, and I am not fond of cops, I have notice one thing. Cops pretty much treat you how you treat them, if you are calm and respectful that is what you get back, you get nasty they return the favor.
You've been lucky.
I think I've dealt with 95% good cops and 5% aggressive neanderthals.
A few bullys, a few instances of targeting, some of which are met with the cop giving the old college try after the target attempt proved to not apply to me(worst that has happened was being handcuffed and pressed into my car for a baffling accusation of driving a 'stolen car', another incident of a pretend seatbelt ticket on a car with automatic seatbelts, another time - some general intimidation and made to do a battery of drunk driving balancing acts in front of the bright police lights after a long day of work).

I've been lucky as well - none of those are too serious.

Like I said 95% have been regular guys just doing their job.

By now, I have kind of adapted my routine with encounters to simple, directly applicable statements, 'local speak' , etc... I think that helps a bit if and when you get dealt a bully.

I do agree that trying to be a tough guy in the face of bully cops, or even regular cops that are under pressure is dumb. Swallow your pride, maybe pay a ticket, maybe go to court... It's not worth your life.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 07-06-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #22
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
A previous poster mentioned S.Louisiana and racism. I worked for years in and around SE Louisiana. Times have changed maybe, but it wasn't only racism it was anybody that was disrespectful to a law officer. Suspects shot and tossed in nearby bayous. Suspects found dead alongside highways behind wheel of their cars, and scores of open-ended cases where people were found shot dead and never solved.
I don't believe much of this exist there anymore, but I'm sure the emotions linger that trigger it. Imo, one of two things happened here. Either the cop was out of his mind, or the suspect had a gun in his hand. Nothing else makes any sense. Even if it were only 1 or 2 seconds, the cop had ample time between reaching back to his holster pulling out his gun and shooting to say he simply made a terrible mistake.
Not sure this murder was race driven. Didn't want or mean to imply that for this particular instance.

From my experience down there , race just played a bigger part in the day to day than anywhere else I'd been. Haven't seen that kind of resentment anywhere else. Ranchwest (poster) and I spoke about this when I was going down there weekly (he was raised a few miles from delta downs). It's just a different place.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 12:35 AM   #23
johnhannibalsmith

There's another video released from about ten feet from the hood of the car, head-on view if you will. Though the view pans away after the first couple of shots, it returns with a clear image of the aftermath. For that reason I am not even going to search for it and post it here. It is much more graphic.

Like the other, it also is not entirely clear (in my opinion) what the victim is doing or not doing, but it is quite a bit less obscure than the previous one. In case those that are eager to have a strong opinion want to get another perspective.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #24
newtothegame

As a south Louisiana resident here is my take for what it is worth.
First and foremost, as in most of the country, I would strongly recommend obeying a cops commands!!!

Next, I have seen several videos of this incident. I do NOT believe this was a racist incident where two white cops were looking to kill a black man. In the most recent video Ive seen, you can clearly here one of the officers yell "GUN, GUN". However, here is where it differs from the first video I saw. In the first video, one would think the cop with the ball cop (most prominent in the video) was the shooter as he was the one who drew his weapon and was over the suspect. The second video ive seen shows (at least in my perception) he was NOT the shooter. The shooter was the officer without the ball cap (who was struggling with the victims right arm (under or near the cars bumper). Near the end of the video, you can clearly see the officer (again without the cap) laying on the ground with weapon drawn and pointed at victim. The officer then yells something to the effect of "F^%$, F&%#" twice as if he is in anguish due to the firing of his weapon, all while laying on the ground with weapon still drawn on the victim. To me, it seemed as though the officer was distressed at what just transpired. I doubt seriously this was racially motivated due to that alone. I found it very easy to see the anguish (or at least hear it), in the officers voice.

However, removing race from the incident does not alleviate responsibility. Was the officer in fear for his life? Only he knows the answer to that question. In the beginning of the video, the victim was tazed and didn't go down. This created the need to tackle him in my opinion. There are several reports out there that claim he was tazed and stayed upright.

Next, why did sterling even have a weapon on him? This guy is a convicted felon. Now please don't interpret me saying that because he was a convicted felon that he deserved to die. However, for anyone interested ( as some have said they were heart broken over the families story on television), I would suggest it might not be all you saw.......
Here is the victims list of accomplishments:
9/09/96 aggravated battery
10/31/97 2nd degree battery
1/06/98 simple battery
5/04/00 public intimidation
9/20/00 carnal knowledge of a juvenile
9/04/01 domestic violence
5/24/05 burglary of an inhabited dwelling place
7/11/05 receiving stolen things
9/12/05 burglary of inhabited dwelling place
3/17/06 simple criminal damage to property, simple robbery, simple theft, drug possession, misrepresentation during booking, simple battery, aggravated battery
4/12/06 aggravated battery, simple criminal damage to property, disturbing the peace, unauthorized entry
4/04/08 domestic abuse battery
6/03/09 resisting an officer, drug possession, receiving stolen things, possession of stolen firearm, illegal carrying of a weapon with CDs, sound reproduct without consent
10/12/09 illegal carrying of weapon, marijuana possession
8/13/15 failure to register as a sex offender
4/08/16 failure to register as a sex offender
6/14/16 ecstacy and marijuana possession.

My point is that this guy was no angel. And in saying that, I read that for the last few years (I believe it was five from 09-15 he was in the pen. So its not like he was this loving father who was there all the time as portrayed. Again though, this does not warrant him being killed.
A convicted felon though, should not have a firearm. Had this one simple law been followed, he would be alive today. The officers were originally dispatched (per reports and the 911 call) due to the fact that he brandished his weapon (which was later retrieved by the officers after the shooting), against another person (the caller to 911).

How does a guy, with this kind of history, not be in jail and the key thrown away? I would submit (just as in the Hillary topic) that our legal system is very very flawed. I am no legal analyst but isn't there a three strike rule? Maybe Ralph or others can better help me to understand how this guy wasn't under a jail somewhere versus on a video being killed?

Recently (as in just a few weeks), in a neighboring parish, a detective was killed by a perp during another stop. Struggle ensued and cop gets shot three or so times in the back while laying face down, after the initial shot.
In past two weeks, you manager at a local fast food was brutally murdered (stabbed 8 times) during a robbery at 130 am. She was definitely a big story round these parts.
In last few weeks, several officers and troopers have been fatally wounded and or seriously injured while on traffic stops due to negligent driving and or wreckless vehicle operations.
Louisiana is on edge (especially if your a law officer). I know it comes with the territory but they are still human beings.

Compliance saves lives!!!!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #25
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Why was he not in jail? Weak judges, weak laws. There are candidates out there right now calling for the closure of prisons.

Btw, those burglary convictions are of an "inhabited dwelling" multiple times. Just a note to ponder from his record.

The only thing I might add, guns will fire while they are in your pocket......if he had his hand in a position to fire the gun? But who knows?
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #26
Inner Dirt

From early 2011 to early 2012 I was pulled over more times than I could count, moving across the country a little at a time. Never for a traffic violation, all because I was profiled, out of state plates, SUV driving thru drug corridors or in drug neighborhoods (I was following the Garmin) getting cash from ATMs. Only one cop was upfront honest, an Arkansas State Trooper, who looked in and said "Most drug runners don't bring their cat along, have a nice day." I was pulled over for supposedly weaving, making a lane change without signaling, etc,etc, never given a ticket. While the stops were annoying as soon as I saw the sky light up, I rolled down my window as I was pulling over and kept my hands on the steering wheel, till told to do other wise. Strangely I was never shot or even spoken to harshly, once I answered a few questions to their liking I was sent on my way. There honestly should be how to behave when pulled over by police questions on driver's license tests.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 09:03 AM   #27
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
I'm not understanding some of the malice towards police officers as a whole. Though, I can't watch the video knowing this man was likely murdered. Racism is alive and well. Sadly. Do I believe there are law enforcement members who are capable of crime? Yes. Do I distrust or dislike law enforcement in general? No, I do not. Experiences I've had with them have been supportive. .... Still, these men and women should know by now, full well, cameras are everywhere.

On a side note: There's a best selling novel written by southern author, Greg Iles (a resident of the city of the book's name), Natchez Burning. I finished it a few weeks ago. A novel of historical fiction based on over 6 years of research into the unsolved murders of folks in the deep South during the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Some of these murders involved law enforcement and some of these individuals never served a day behind bars for these killings. I hadn't, in my lifetime, ever heard of an elite group outside of the KKK whose activity was agonizingly violent. It was one of the most difficult books I've ever read...haunting because of its truth.

A link to an interview with the author.
http://www.hannapub.com/concordiasen...atchez-burning
Whoa with the racism comment. It is not at all fair in discussions about instincts, fears, and actions during confrontations. To chalk it up to "racism" is saying a cop hates blacks so just took the opportunity to kill one.

According to the US Department of Justice, blacks accounted for 52.5% of homicide offenders from 1980 to 2008, with whites 45.3% and "Other" 2.2%. The offending rate for blacks was almost 8 times higher than whites, and the victim rate 6 times higher.

Blacks are also about 6 times higher than whites for all crimes.

I would venture a guess that blacks are far more militant and in your face in dealings with cops than whites and others.

There is a reason why white grandmas aren't shot by cops often, and it has nothing to do with racism.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #28
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame
Here is the victims list of accomplishments:
9/09/96 aggravated battery
10/31/97 2nd degree battery
1/06/98 simple battery
5/04/00 public intimidation
9/20/00 carnal knowledge of a juvenile
9/04/01 domestic violence
5/24/05 burglary of an inhabited dwelling place
7/11/05 receiving stolen things
9/12/05 burglary of inhabited dwelling place
3/17/06 simple criminal damage to property, simple robbery, simple theft, drug possession, misrepresentation during booking, simple battery, aggravated battery
4/12/06 aggravated battery, simple criminal damage to property, disturbing the peace, unauthorized entry
4/04/08 domestic abuse battery
6/03/09 resisting an officer, drug possession, receiving stolen things, possession of stolen firearm, illegal carrying of a weapon with CDs, sound reproduct without consent
10/12/09 illegal carrying of weapon, marijuana possession
8/13/15 failure to register as a sex offender
4/08/16 failure to register as a sex offender
6/14/16 ecstacy and marijuana possession.
Isn't it comical how the liberal media always portrays the so called victim of police brutality as just your average citizen. I thought his family said he was a gentle family man?
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #29
newtothegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
Isn't it comical how the liberal media always portrays the so called victim of police brutality as just your average citizen. I thought his family said he was a gentle family man?
Michael Brown (Ferguson Mo, ) was also portrayed by the media as a "gentle Giant". If I recall correctly, wasn't Travon Martin also portrayed as a young beautiful person as well by the media?
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #30
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame

Recently (as in just a few weeks), in a neighboring parish, a detective was killed by a perp during another stop. Struggle ensued and cop gets shot three or so times in the back while laying face down, after the initial shot.
In past two weeks, you manager at a local fast food was brutally murdered (stabbed 8 times) during a robbery at 130 am. She was definitely a big story round these parts.
In last few weeks, several officers and troopers have been fatally wounded and or seriously injured while on traffic stops due to negligent driving and or wreckless vehicle operations.
Louisiana is on edge (especially if your a law officer). I know it comes with the territory but they are still human beings.
An explanation why the officer may have overreacted. Three cases in such a short period of time. It's scary out there.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply