Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-29-2018, 08:57 PM   #1
RunDustyRun

Luis Saez

Is he the best jockey out there? 7 wins today at gp after winning seven earlier in the meet...winning on dirt, grass, sprints, routes. 6250 claimers and stakes horses...ortiz brothers are there so it's not like there are no legit jocks in the colony...been impressed and especially like him on cheap speed
RunDustyRun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
Mc990

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDustyRun View Post
Is he the best jockey out there? 7 wins today at gp after winning seven earlier in the meet...winning on dirt, grass, sprints, routes. 6250 claimers and stakes horses...ortiz brothers are there so it's not like there are no legit jocks in the colony...been impressed and especially like him on cheap speed
No doubt a top jock but is there really any difference between say the top 20-30 guys in the sport? I actually think that number could be much higher... Seems there is certainly a built in bias where the jocks who find success get consistently rewarded with quality mounts. A vicious cycle where the horse deserves 99% of the credit on average but the jockey on it's back reaps the rewards and so on and so on

I guess my point is, he's one of a handful of guys who even gets the opportunity to tally 7 wins on a card.... not because of his talent level but because of something more random. Sorry to rant but I just never understood jockey hyping or bashing for that matter.
Mc990 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

He really impressed me riding the winner of a 5f turf sprint. He had the horse under a drive practically from the gate to the wire. That is not something most jockeys can do, incredible strength and stamina.

cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
Robert Fischer
clean money

Saez is the real deal.

If anything, he doesn't get the mounts that the very biggest names and first-call guys get, until the racing cards are competitive enough to go several contenders deep.

He's aggressive, and has strong handling. He's willing to race inside in dangerous spots that haven't yet opened up.

Looking back at my 'book' on Saez, and I'm reminded of another one of his strengths; He can get a horse to change leads, and/or win on the wrong lead.

Saturday his Florida Derby mount is Strike Power, a horse that hasn't changed leads in the afternoon. Kind of an interesting opportunity for him.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:38 PM   #5
Mc990

4 out of the 7 wins were aboard the favorite and 2 out of the other 3 were 2nd choice, a tick off going favored...

Again, he obviously is a top jock.... to my point though, what is a top jock and how correlated is it to actual talent compared to the peers you're competing against?

when you ride 4 favs and 2 2nd choices in 7 wins (out of 8 total mounts) I would expect you to have days in your career where you win 7 even with marginal riding ability
Mc990 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2018, 10:58 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc990 View Post
4 out of the 7 wins were aboard the favorite and 2 out of the other 3 were 2nd choice, a tick off going favored...

Again, he obviously is a top jock.... to my point though, what is a top jock and how correlated is it to actual talent compared to the peers you're competing against?

when you ride 4 favs and 2 2nd choices in 7 wins (out of 8 total mounts) I would expect you to have days in your career where you win 7 even with marginal riding ability
Yeah, but him being on this horses is a big part of why they were favorites. Many top riders have the kind of slate before a card, few win that often. Obviously Gulfstream runs like 74 races a day so he gets a few more opportunities too.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2018, 09:24 AM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

It seems like every 10 minutes a GP race is 15 minutes past post time! I hope Gabby and Katin area getting paid by the race, not the hour.

Saez is always a [plus on my form.
I like jocks who understand what he word "race" means.
Too many have no idea.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
Frankie D

the creeping post times are probably a handle enhancement. Always thought that's why GP did that

GP is my favorite
Frankie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2018, 10:05 PM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

GP want so make sure there is not a dollar left in the crowd before he load the gate.

They act like total jerks all yer long with the post time, then, today, with only them and Meydan running - in the whole freaking world - they ran over top of Meydan post times several times.

Old Frankie is total a-hole.