Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-13-2021, 12:14 AM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Paul Lo Duca Loses lawsuit

https://nypost.com/2021/04/12/joe-we...-paul-lo-duca/

This is not good
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2021, 01:13 AM   #2
kingfin66
Bombardier

The part that gets me is that West is upset that it could hurt his chances of getting into the Hall of Fame. First of all, very few umpires make it into the HOF. Second, there is only one active MLB umpire that has a chance to make the HOF, and it is most definitely not Joe West. Joe West is good at self-promotion, but he does not have a great reputation. In fact, there are those who think he may be the poster boy for what is wrong with umpires.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:10 AM   #3
thaskalos

Joe West might be the worst umpire in the history of baseball. I'll never forget the incident with Andre Dawson when he was with the Cubs. West called him out on strikes on a questionable pitch, and an angry Dawson bumped him at home plate...thus getting suspended and fined by the league. When Dawson sent in his payment to the league, he had written on the check..."Donation for the blind".
Old 04-13-2021, 04:26 AM   #4
lamboguy

around 1968, i went with my cousin down to Pittsburg to watch Holy Cross play Duquesne in men's basketball... the coach for Holy Cross was Jack Donohue. he was the most righteous of all men to ever walk the face of the earth.

back in those days baseball players didn't make the money that they make now and they needed to work during the off season to support themselves and their family's. Tito Francona played for the Cleveland Indians. he was a slugger that hit a lot of home runs, but also struck out a lot.

during the off season Francona worked as a referee in collegiate basketball. the day i went to watch the game with my cousin who was reporting for the Holly Cross school newspaper, Francona was on the court. Holy Cross was a dominant basketball team back then.. anyway there was a play in the game where Francona gave a goaltending call against a Holy Cross player. Donohue was yelling at the referee, Tito Francona, and he was thrown out of the game.

Holy Cross won the game, and after the game there was a news conference with Donahue. everyone thought that Donohue out of character swore at Francona. so the reporters all asked him what did you say to get thrown out, he answered--"no wonder you could never hit a curve ball". and out he went.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2021, 08:17 AM   #5
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Joe West might be the worst umpire in the history of baseball. I'll never forget the incident with Andre Dawson when he was with the Cubs. West called him out on strikes on a questionable pitch, and an angry Dawson bumped him at home plate...thus getting suspended and fined by the league. When Dawson sent in his payment to the league, he had written on the check..."Donation for the blind".

I remember that game, Dawson threw handfulls of bats out of the dugout after being ejected.

C B Bucknor is by far the worst ump I ever saw...Joe West was involved in many disputes, had a hard-on for a lot of players it seems.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:41 AM   #6
olddaddy

Country Joe either had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek or is going senile when he mentioned this could hurt Lo Ducas chances of making the hall. Lo Duca had and has a ZERO chance of making the hall.

Maybe I misinterpreted and West meant his chances.

Last edited by olddaddy; 04-13-2021 at 08:45 AM.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2021, 09:13 AM   #7
Johnny V

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Cowboy Joe was terrible. He ejected more players than anyone I have seen. He was vindictive, inconsistent and as was mentioned it seemed he had a hard-on for certain players. If memory serves I think I saw a stat somewhere that he blew an average of 21 calls (balls and strikes) per game. Now some umps have a blind spot in the strike zone for certain pitches whether it is the low strike, high strike, wherever. That crucial two strike call error can be very frustrating and annoying. But they do even out if the ump is consistent and honest with those calls. But with Wests' outright BS calls and trying to be the center of attention back there it really screwed up the game.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #8
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I’m friendly with an ex MLB umpire from these parts and he shared a funny story with me.
He was working the plate for a Sunday game in Montreal and the three day All Star break started the next day. He had a lady waiting for him in New York & needed to catch a plane after the game (it was the last flight from Montreal that day).
He told both managers when they presented the lineup cards that their boys had better be swinging...”if the pitch reaches the catcher in the air it’s a strike, ya got me?”
He was outta there in about 2hrs 15mins and made his flight to NY