Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #61
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChippy423 View Post
I can only imagine what went on prior to the Internet.
For one, people were blissfully unaware of your existence.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #62
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
OUTSTANDING POST
Old 12-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #63
ultracapper

HAHAHA!!

OMG!!! And the extra point is good!!!

That was just funny.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2018, 06:06 PM   #64
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
In California the Stewards are paid by the CHRB. California Horse Racing Board. They have no interest in a track's business model. They often make decisions the individual tracks do not agree with or like. Like calling a race no contest for example. When that occurs the track must refund all wagers. Certainly not in the best interest of the association.

I VERY strongly believe the chance a racetrack would tell the Stewards what to do in an inquiry to further a carryover is extremely unlikely.

NO COLLUSION!
I am not suggesting collusion or any conspiracy theory, but to say a steward has no interest in a track's business model is not correct. If not for the success of the track there would be no need for a steward. The CHRB is funded by the wagering (business) of the track so the CHRB and stewards have a definite interest in the business success of the track.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:38 AM   #65
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I am not suggesting collusion or any conspiracy theory, but to say a steward has no interest in a track's business model is not correct. If not for the success of the track there would be no need for a steward. The CHRB is funded by the wagering (business) of the track so the CHRB and stewards have a definite interest in the business success of the track.
They may have an interest but it's not vested. If the track has a great year and it's stock holders are thrilled. Or if they go in the crapper it doesn't effect the stewards. Their assignments and pay check don't change.

The only way they could be impacted is if racing in their jurisdiction ceased.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #66
big frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Grand Slam ! walk off by Andy !
big frank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #67
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
They may have an interest but it's not vested. If the track has a great year and it's stock holders are thrilled. Or if they go in the crapper it doesn't effect the stewards. Their assignments and pay check don't change.

The only way they could be impacted is if racing in their jurisdiction ceased.
Do you see a lot of new tracks opening these days? There is a high probability that racing will cease and stewards will lose jobs at several tracks. Given the prospect of losing jobs is it really out of the question to think that business implications might have a small influence on thinking?
Old 12-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #68
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Short answer, Andy: Yes.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #69
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Do you see a lot of new tracks opening these days? There is a high probability that racing will cease and stewards will lose jobs at several tracks. Given the prospect of losing jobs is it really out of the question to think that business implications might have a small influence on thinking?
Sure. I'll give you that. We're all one day away from the unemployment line. But I wouldn't use the word influence. They may be concerned but I can't ever see a scenario where they would be involved in any way.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:08 AM   #70
mountainman

I've seen contrarian stewards, with contempt for management and the entire operation-the kind who would like to see the ship sink simply out of spite-but I have never known a steward much concerned about handle, bottom lines or carryovers. And CERTAINLY not concerned to the point of sacrificing integrity, risking reputation, and jeopardizing their very positions.

It sounds good in theory that stews have the sort of vested interest in the tracks they work at that could creep into their decisions. But in the real world, that is simply not how they think or operate.

And I have been WELL acquainted with many, many stewards.

Last edited by mountainman; 12-17-2018 at 11:11 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #71
jimmyb

Becoming and being a Steward not as easy as I thought.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/racing-steward-125762
jimmyb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #72
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
I've seen contrarian stewards, with contempt for management and the entire operation-the kind who would like to see the ship sink simply out of spite-but I have never known a steward much concerned about handle, bottom lines or carryovers. And CERTAINLY not concerned to the point of sacrificing integrity, risking reputation, and jeopardizing their very positions.

It sounds good in theory that stews have the sort of vested interest in the tracks they work at that could creep into their decisions. But in the real world, that is simply not how they think or operate.

And I have been WELL acquainted with many, many stewards.
EXCELLENT POST
Old 12-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #73
Robert Fischer
clean money

Stop ****ing worrying about Stewards betting, and worry about competent stewards. Stewards that the public sees as 'authority figures' (not 3 blind mice). Stewards that consistently rule and share universal 'rule interpretations' on certain commonly occurring scenarios.

Let's get that **** first.

Whether they bet is a fun curiosity, but the game itself and the perception of integrity should be of primary concern.

As a matter of fact, **** it
Old 12-17-2018, 11:50 AM   #74
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post

It's certainly not a way to get rich.

Many states don't offer benefits or a 401k plan.

Assignments can be spotty with changing racing dates and competition for work from other available judges.

For obvious reasons being a Steward can be a thankless job. No matter your decision someone is going to be disappointed and suggest you don't have what it takes.

If you work at a track and have many friends. I thought I did. Become a Steward and watch that roll call shrink.

When I resigned in 2015 I was frustrated about not getting better assignments. By being the safety steward which is totally different than being "in the stand" That and there were a couple of CHRB investigators I didn't get along with.

But by far the biggest reason was because I wanted to be in action betting. I wanted to see if I fully immersed myself in the "war vs the windows" if I could be successful.

I would love to someday return to the Steward's Stand.

Last edited by v j stauffer; 12-17-2018 at 11:52 AM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2018, 11:52 AM   #75
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post

Some stewards are well versed on how a racing dept operates, others not so much. Some work, some are ceremonial. Some I respect, others not so much. But most of them got the job by being connected in the right places.

90% of the people who become racing officials aspire to be either a steward or racing secretary. Most realize rather quickly that they could never handle the secretary's position..I mean in any way, shape , or form. At that point most decide that becoming a steward has been their lifelong, burning ambition.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: