Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Who wins HOY? Accelerate or Justify?
Accelerate wins HOY 119 42.35%
Justify wins HOY 162 57.65%
Voters: 281. This poll is closed

Old 12-16-2018, 10:15 PM   #226
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Coincidentally Seattle Slew won the HOY award as a 3yo Triple Crown winner despite not racing the last half of the year or facing his elders (like Justify).
And despite beating Affirmed twice as a 4 yr old, Affirmed was still voted horse of the year. Seattle Slew did miss a lot of the season though.

Last edited by ronsmac; 12-16-2018 at 10:17 PM.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2018, 11:08 PM   #227
dilanesp

Quote:
Coincidentally Seattle Slew won the HOY award as a 3yo Triple Crown winner despite not racing the last half of the year or facing his elders (like Justify).
And then got screwed as a 4 year old when he convincingly beat Affirned twice.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2018, 12:05 AM   #228
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
And then got screwed as a 4 year old when he convincingly beat Affirned twice.
Nice deflection from his partial 3yo campaign that garnered him the HOY award.

Nevertheless, I'll bite because I find it interesting that you don't seem to give much weight to the fact that Justify took 6 races between February and June--including the Triple Crown and one other Grade 1--and yet would concede the 1978 HOY award to Seattle Slew, whose campaign basically ran from September 5 to November 11, making 5 starts with 3 wins and 2 seconds.

Never mind Exceller, who was 7 for 10 and took down major prizes coast-to-coast in a year-long campaign, including the Hollywood Gold Cup and Jockey Club Gold Cup amid several top-tier prizes on the turf.

Also, Affirmed's saddle slipped in the Jockey Club Gold Cup so I wouldn't considerate that a definitive display of Seattle Slew's superiority over the younger colt, especially since Slew didn't even win the race.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2018, 01:55 AM   #229
dilanesp

Quote:
Nice deflection from his partial 3yo campaign that garnered him the HOY award.

Nevertheless, I'll bite because I find it interesting that you don't seem to give much weight to the fact that Justify took 6 races between February and June--including the Triple Crown and one other Grade 1--and yet would concede the 1978 HOY award to Seattle Slew, whose campaign basically ran from September 5 to November 11, making 5 starts with 3 wins and 2 seconds.

Never mind Exceller, who was 7 for 10 and took down major prizes coast-to-coast in a year-long campaign, including the Hollywood Gold Cup and Jockey Club Gold Cup amid several top-tier prizes on the turf.

Also, Affirmed's saddle slipped in the Jockey Club Gold Cup so I wouldn't considerate that a definitive display of Seattle Slew's superiority over the younger colt, especially since Slew didn't even win the race.
Seattle Slew had 2 convincing victories over the horse who won the award. They weren't close. Voting for a proven inferior was indefensible
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2018, 02:34 AM   #230
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Seattle Slew had 2 convincing victories over the horse who won the award. They weren't close. Voting for a proven inferior was indefensible
Again, Affirmed's saddle slipped in the Gold Cup, effectively taking him out of the race and possibly Slew himself when Affirmed ran off.

Seattle Slew had the run of the race in the Marlboro Cup, getting the opening quarter in an unhurried and unpressured :24--a tactical miscue by Steve Cauthen, not a condemnation of Affirmed's talent. The 3yo with only a modest weight-break (4 lbs) was game to the wire, simply unable to make up the deficit Cauthen willingly incurred at the start.

Slew got a similar trip a couple of weeks later in the Woodward where he waltzed through a :24 4/5 opening quarter in a paceless 5-horse field. Exceller, a deep closer coming off a 2-month break following a 12 furlong turf race in California, was taken out of his game by Willie Shoemaker and sent on the attack, showing enough speed to take a measured early run at Slew before completing the opening half mile. An unhurried Slew simply brushed it off by quickening to a pace more appropriate for a race of that caliber. Exceller's stamina saved him from having the doors blown off completely, and he chased Slew the rest of the way home without losing more than a length or so through the stretch.

So Slew's two Grade 1 wins that year were under ideal conditions to say the least. His other 2 starts were a couple of Grade 3s (one of which he lost while giving a bunch of weight).

That's why Seattle Slew's Jockey Club Gold Cup run is often considered his finest performance. It's the only one where he was given no leeway throughout.

Kind of like Justify in the Derby and Preakness...
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #231
GMB@BP

Quote:
Again, Affirmed's saddle slipped in the Gold Cup, effectively taking him out of the race and possibly Slew himself when Affirmed ran off.
Hey Cigar beat Holy Bull soundly as well.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2018, 05:28 PM   #232
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
So who would have been your HOTY in 1972?
Not Sec.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #233
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Not Sec.
You must have really been against Favorite Trick in '97...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #234
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
That one will always be a head scratcher to me. I thought for sure Skip Away was going to win that year.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2018, 06:06 PM   #235
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
That one will always be a head scratcher to me. I thought for sure Skip Away was going to win that year.
Speed figure guys knew he was nothing special. I wouldn't have voted for him as horse of the year under any circumstances.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2018, 08:33 PM   #236
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Greed and parasites? Unbelievable. What if you, your family or a close friend was fortunate to breed such a wonderful horse? Then after winning a Triple Crown you decided to take the hundreds of million dollars that retirement would bring? Does that make you a greedy parasite?

Most owners and breeders in this business lose money. Many continue to pour it in because of pure love for the horses and sport.
Hundreds of millions? It’s good money they’re making, but nowhere near hundreds of millions.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #237
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
You bet I was. No 2yo is ever the best horse who ran that year.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #238
v j stauffer

Quote:
Hundreds of millions? It’s good money they’re making, but nowhere near hundreds of millions.
Over the course of his entire stud career assuming he stays healthy?

Shuttling?
Old 12-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #239
aaron

Quote:
You bet I was. No 2yo is ever the best horse who ran that year.
Did Secretariat win hoy as a two year old ?
aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #240
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron View Post
Did Secretariat win hoy as a two year old ?
yes
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply