Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-31-2017, 02:24 PM   #31
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
You don't get it, do you? This would be no "Desert Storm". This would be a world conflict due to the oil assets of SA, and whether we would want Israel to be involved or whether Israel wants to cool its jets and sit it out on the sidelines would be irrelevant because once the super powers become involved, there would be no other option for Israel but to protect itself and side with the U.S.. There would be no bystanders or armchair quarterbacks in this kind of a conflict. Well....maybe France.
You have an interesting world view.

The superpowers (there's only really one) have nothing to gain by entering into a wider conflict over Iran/Saudi Arabia and a lot more to lose. Plus nobody in the world really likes either one of them.

Anywho this is way off topic and the things you describe haven't happened before despite similar scenarios playing out.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2017, 05:46 PM   #32
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
You have an interesting world view.

The superpowers (there's only really one) have nothing to gain by entering into a wider conflict over Iran/Saudi Arabia and a lot more to lose. Plus nobody in the world really likes either one of them.

Anywho this is way off topic and the things you describe haven't happened before despite similar scenarios playing out.
So you don't think the Saudi's oil would amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things? Any country on the planet (especially an already-oil-rich nation) could attack SA and everyone would just give a big yawn? You do realize that the Saudi's alone account for about 13% of the world's crude oil production and over 1/3 of OPEC's production? If you don't think any country threatening a Saudi takeover would have any geopolitical consequences, then so be it.

And if you don't think Russia and China are superpowers (even Grade "B" ones), then I think you're delusional. Methinks the U.S. would have more than its hands full in dealing with both of these all at once and simultaneously.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:15 PM   #33
elysiantraveller

Quote:
So you don't think the Saudi's oil would amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things? Any country on the planet (especially an already-oil-rich nation) could attack SA and everyone would just give a big yawn? You do realize that the Saudi's alone account for about 13% of the world's crude oil production and over 1/3 of OPEC's production? If you don't think any country threatening a Saudi takeover would have any geopolitical consequences, then so be it.

And if you don't think Russia and China are superpowers (even Grade "B" ones), then I think you're delusional. Methinks the U.S. would have more than its hands full in dealing with both of these all at once and simultaneously.
To your first point. Yes. The United States doesn't need the oil. Europe can buy from Russia, Venezuela, Canada, the US, the rest of OPEC who doesn't like S.A. btw. All are preferable to getting involved in what is tantamount to a Holy War in the Middle East.

As far as Russia and China why would they risk a conflict with the United States. One in which they have so much to lose and so little to gain over some Muslim Theocracy? Putin, the smartest leader in realpolitik today sure as hell wouldn't. Russia likes Iran insofar as they trade with them and cause us problems but they aren't risking a war with the US and potentially NATO over it.

You're far more likely to see what we see in Syria where they support their guys and we support ours in Proxy War fashion. Israel wouldn't take sides in that conflict.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 12-31-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:01 PM   #34
boxcar

Quote:
To your first point. Yes. The United States doesn't need the oil. Europe can buy from Russia, Venezuela, Canada, the US, the rest of OPEC who doesn't like S.A. btw. All are preferable to getting involved in what is tantamount to a Holy War in the Middle East.

As far as Russia and China why would they risk a conflict with the United States. One in which they have so much to lose and so little to gain over some Muslim Theocracy? Putin, the smartest leader in realpolitik today sure as hell wouldn't. Russia likes Iran insofar as they trade with them and cause us problems but they aren't risking a war with the US and potentially NATO over it.

You're far more likely to see what we see in Syria where they support their guys and we support ours in Proxy War fashion. Israel wouldn't take sides in that conflict.
I never said the U.S. would "need" Saudi oi; but what about the rest of the world? Would they need Saudi oil? What if 1/3 or so of OPEC's oil export's were held hostage by Iran or some other whack job state? Would that impact global oil prices? (Probably not much, huh? Maybe a nickle or so at the pump?)

With all due respect, I think you're suffering from a touch of [mental] myopia.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:14 PM   #35
elysiantraveller

Quote:
I never said the U.S. would "need" Saudi oi; but what about the rest of the world? Would they need Saudi oil? What if 1/3 or so of OPEC's oil export's were held hostage by Iran or some other whack job state? Would that impact global oil prices? (Probably not much, huh? Maybe a nickle or so at the pump?)

With all due respect, I think you're suffering from a touch of [mental] myopia.
I addressed it. They just buy it elsewhere. The Saudis control price through manipulating the production of oil. There is no global shortage of the stuff.

I just said it's unlikely that a conflict like that spills into some major world war. I fail to see how it would. Just saying Saudi Arabia produces lots of oil isn't a reason the world would be picking teams in a regional and internal religious war. Certainly not Israel and likely many others.

A proxy war is much more likely. See Syria.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:22 PM   #36
boxcar

Quote:
I just said it's unlikely that a conflict like that spills into some major world war. I fail to see how it would.
Obviously, you don't.

Have a Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2017, 09:30 PM   #37
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Obviously, you don't.

Have a Happy New Year!
And you as well!
Old 01-01-2018, 07:36 AM   #38
boxcar

Quote:
And you as well!
Thanks! My New Year is starting off great. My internet still works fine even with the "horrible" demise of NN. No massive amounts of dead bodies in the streets (that I know of, anyhow), as grimly predicted by our Aunt Nancy after the tax cut bill passed. No fish swimming in the streets of Miami, due to climate change, to the best of my knowledge. The weather is coolish but quite nice in South Swampland. My dark Columbian coffee tastes great. And I'm confident that Trump is going to kick more butt this year.

Man...life is good!
Old 01-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #39
boxcar

New York Times Blames Iranian Protesters For ‘Ignoring Calls for Calm’

https://www.redstate.com/sarah-rumpf...tm_campaign=nl

The Slimes and other media are taking care of the Muslim PR problem that I mentioned other day, and are covering Obama's back, of course.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #40
woodtoo

Quote:
New York Times Blames Iranian Protesters For ‘Ignoring Calls for Calm’

https://www.redstate.com/sarah-rumpf...tm_campaign=nl

The Slimes and other media are taking care of the Muslim PR problem that I mentioned other day, and are covering Obama's back, of course.
According to the Slimes Iran is paradise a Utopian free country,they are so fortunate not to live in the gulags of the Trump dictatorship where woman are forced to wear what ever they wish.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #41
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The NY Slimes said the same thing about Warsaw during WWII.

Good ole Slimes - at least we know who our enemy is.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: