Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 09-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
Teach

Belmont: Thursday, September 19

Race One:

MOSCATO gets my tepid call in this highly-contested (many candidates to choose from) “jump” race, the Grade I Lonesome Glory Handicap, to be contested at the distance of 2 and one-half miles for a purse of 150k. This GB-bred, 8-year old grey gelding was given a year off (2018) by her connections. Yet this gelding has come back with “flying colors”. In April, he won the Grade III Temple Gwathmy Hurdle at Glenwood Park in Middleburg, VA (about 40-or-so miles west of Washington, D.C.). His most recent race was at Percy Warner in Nashville, TN. In that one, this gelding closed from last in a field of six to finish 3rd; he might have won the event if he hadn’t been blocked in the stretch. What I like about this gelding is that he also has “flat race” experience (he won a race at Ascot in 2015). That “flat” experience can come in handy, as it did for yesterday’s Entenmann winner, Snap Decision. The “Man from Monkton,” Jack Fisher, trains this Hernando (FR)-bred “jumper”. Mike Mitchell reprises the ride. In closing, I should mention that gelding’s broodmare, Alba Stella, had 8 winners from 8 starters and 2 stakes winners and 7 turf winners. Others: . .

Race Two:

LATER CAT looks like, appears to be, the class of this race, a maiden-claiming sprint. He is -- I must state (this is no knock, just a fact) -- a home-bred 3-year old in open sprint company. As I’ve alluded to again, and again, and again, that “drop” out of the MSW ranks into the claiming ones is a most precipitous one. This case, this race, in my opinion, is no exception. Yet, I am, unabashedly stating, unequivocally, that I am, most definitely: “buying insurance”. Yes, I like this horse and everything about him: his trainer, the University of Miami graduate, Bruce Levine, his jockey, “El Panameno,” Luis Saez, and the owner: Repole Stable. Yet, I still have that gnawing feeling that this gelding ain’t no “lead-pipe cinch”. If I were to also look elsewhere (which I am), I see a few other horses that I believe have a shot. Others: , ,

Race Three:

In this 7-panels claimer, n3L, I’ve landed on MOHICAN. This Pioneerof the Nile-bred has faced better, and, I might add, this gelding has been competitive at that higher level. Yet, in all candor, this gelding’s jockey, a “bug,” Ben Hernandez, a young man with potential, is winless in 24 tries. I find that fact, most frankly, not particularly reassuring. Yet, he has, I believe, beneath his saddle, the horse that is capable of winning this race. He can. The question is: “Will he?” Chris Englehart is an excellent trainer. He does particularly well with horses entered in claiming events. Others: , ,

Race Four:

In this MSW mile and one-quarter turf race on The Inner I’ve chosen LADY ROSALIE. One reason (among a few) for my selection is the respect I have for jockey Luis Saez’s skills in riding horses in grass races. I’ve called Jose Lezcano, “El Rey de La Hierba,” a deserving sobriquet; but I would rate Senor Saez right up there. Yes, I’m fully aware that my pick is winless in five races on the lawn; yet I believe today’s stretch-out will aid and abet this filly’s chances of gracing the winner’s circle. This Irish-bred has an excellent turf pedigree, particularly “on top”. As cited, today’s rider assignment and added distance are capable of affording this 3-year old bay filly the opportunity of getting her picture taken. The former assistant to Hall of Famer trainer Bill Mott, Rodolphe Brisset, is this filly’s conditioner. Others: , ,

Race Five:

BOSTON BEAUTIES is an Irish-bred 2-year old filly who finished 2nd in her only pari-mutuel start. She is certainly capable of improving off of that initial effort. This filly’s outside starting post should aid and abet this Zoffany-bred’s chances of gracing the winner’s circle. Luis Saez reprises the ride for trainer Todd Pletcher. Pletcher does exceptionally well with horses entered in their second career race. Others: , ,

Race Six:

In this starter-allowance state-bred route, I’ve landed on THREE TO THIRTEEN. This Frost Giant-bred gelding has faced better throughout his racing career. In his most recent start, in open company at Monmouth, he got caught up in a speed duel, early; he had little left in the gas tank at the finish. He ended up finishing 4th. This Giant’s Causeway-bred does possess early speed. He may find himself “on the engine,” or in a stalking position. If he can avoid any speed duels, he should be in contention throughout. Dylan Davis is in the irons for the Perth Amboy, NJ native, Kelly J. Breen. Breen, you may remember, saddled Ruler on Ice to win the 2011 Belmont Stakes. Others: , ,

Race Seven:

VALUE ENGINEERING is my pick in this one mile and one-quarter starter allowance turf route. This highly-priced Lemon Drop Kid-bred colt broke his maiden in his most recent outing in MSW company. It’s the “Dynamic Duo” of the Caracas, Venezuela native, Jockey Javier Castellano, and “The Man from Mechanicsville,” trainer Chad Brown. Castellano is one of the leading jockeys in North America; Brown is one of the top horse trainers. This Kingmambo-bred looks like he wants to go longer; he gets his wish, today. Others: , ,

Race Eight:

In the nightcap (and I do mean nightcap; they’d better run these races on time), a one-mile MSW turf route, I’m going to take “a rendezvous with destiny” (FDR). I’m picking a long-shot: DEVILS RENDEZVOUS. Before you say, “Tu Sei Pazzo!”… Before you utter, “Groisseh Meshugenah!”… Before you say, “Abuelo Loco!” Here me out out. “Oyez! Oyez! Oyez! May it please the betting public.” First, I’m willin’ to give this 2-year old filly “a mulligan” off his last less-than-stellar effort up a The Spa. This bred-for-turf filly was hard-used early; she simply ran out of gas. I’m willing to give her a second chance (I can’t ignore her solid turf lineage). Luis Reyes has the call for trainer Gary Contessa. Contessa does very well with horses entered in their 2nd route race. Others: , ,

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
Race Eight:

In the nightcap (and I do mean nightcap; they’d better run these races on time), a one-mile MSW turf route, I’m going to take “a rendezvous with destiny” (FDR).
While enjoying the sight of the setting sun reflected off the gleaming coats of the horses in yesterday’s closer, my next thought was what adjustments will they be making to do this for a couple more weeks?
BarchCapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #3
BarchCapper

Ask and you will receive: DRF reporting that NYRA asking to extend racing at Belmont through Oct 27th (no early switch for “Belmont at Aqueduct”) and a first post switch to 1:00 PM starting next Wednesday.
BarchCapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply