Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #1
bobphilo

Songbird

I just found out that Songbird was named in honor of Eva Cassidy who sang this song so beautifully. She tragically died very young of cancer but her memories lives on in her music and in this great filly.
Here's the link to this video as well as her moving rendition of Fields of Gold.
Hard to listen to with dry eyes.
Every time I see Songbird running these beautiful lyrics will echo in my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj3aVGCZ_v0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDuye_qB-2o

Last edited by bobphilo; 09-23-2016 at 04:04 PM.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 04:10 PM   #2
VeryOldMan

Your first link came up busted (for me) - here's a backup link to Songbird just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTNLYeaL7No

Eva Cassidy was a Marylander who died way too young. Very cool to learn Songbird was named after her - thanks for the post.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 07:30 PM   #3
CincyHorseplayer

Pretty cool Bob. I have a slew of women singers I love. Can't live without em!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #4
bobphilo

Thanks guys. I was starting to think that anything not strictly relating to filthy lucre and the greedy pursuit of profits was of no interest here.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:32 PM   #5
RunForTheRoses

Nice, I did not know that. Her Somewhere Over the Rainbow is amazing.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 11:03 PM   #6
bobphilo

Here's a news story about about her short life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXU219b3Zdw
Old 09-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #7
bobphilo

Songbird just made it a perfect 11 for 11 by wining the Cotillion against the top 3YO fillies with ease. Eva Cassidy would have been proud.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:57 PM   #8
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo
Songbird just made it a perfect 11 for 11 by wining the Cotillion against the top 3YO fillies with ease. Eva Cassidy would have been proud.
Amen my man. Thanks again for posting the connection.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2016, 09:31 PM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

She looked bigger today. Looks like she is still growing
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2016, 04:12 PM   #10
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
She looked bigger today. Looks like she is still growing
Yep, 3YOs are the equivalent of teenagers and most are still growing.
It's a shame that her connections will not run against males. She has run out of competition against her gender in her age group but will never get the chance to show what she can do against colts.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:46 PM   #11
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Yep, 3YOs are the equivalent of teenagers and most are still growing.
It's a shame that her connections will not run against males. She has run out of competition against her gender in her age group but will never get the chance to show what she can do against colts.
You're thinking she should run in the Classic? I'd never consider running a 3yo filly there.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2016, 12:00 PM   #12
classhandicapper

Quote:
Beholder will be plenty enough of a challenge in the Distaff. We already know that Beholder is competitive with high level older Grade 1 males. So "if" she can handler Beholder (which will be no easy task), then it will make sense to try her against older males next year. If she can handle that, then the Classic is an option at the end of next year.

No reason to throw her straight into the biggest fire yet without testing her at some of the levels in between. The one difference between her and Rachel is that Rachel was further along at this stage. This filly is moving along a little slower, but she may be just as good or better before it's all over. She was certainly really good right from the start and is still getting better. We'll see.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 09-26-2016 at 12:07 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #13
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
You're thinking she should run in the Classic? I'd never consider running a 3yo filly there.
Never say never.
In Europe top fillies are run against top colts all the time and win their share.
I never said she should run in the Classic this year. The point is her connections have no intention of ever running her against males ever.

Last edited by bobphilo; 09-26-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #14
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
Beholder will be plenty enough of a challenge in the Distaff. We already know that Beholder is competitive with high level older Grade 1 males. So "if" she can handler Beholder (which will be no easy task), then it will make sense to try her against older males next year. If she can handle that, then the Classic is an option at the end of next year.

No reason to throw her straight into the biggest fire yet without testing her at some of the levels in between. The one difference between her and Rachel is that Rachel was further along at this stage. This filly is moving along a little slower, but she may be just as good or better before it's all over. She was certainly really good right from the start and is still getting better. We'll see.
I did not say she should run in this year's Classic. Perhaps if she had won in open company earlier, but her connections never gave her the chance.
Hopefully, they'll take a more enlightened attitude next year.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:29 PM   #15
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Never say never.
In Europe top fillies are run against top colts all the time and win their share.
I never said she should run in the Classic this year. The point is her connections have no intention of ever running her against males ever.
You understand the pace difference and strength requirement difference between dirt and turf, I hope.

Regarding your last statement, what are you talking about? Porter has said over and over that if she proves good enough that he'd want her to take on males next year. He ran Eight Belles in the Derby and Havre de Grace in the Woodward and Classic. What owner comes close to running multiple females in top spots in recent years? So there's no reason to not trust what he says.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply