Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

View Poll Results: Which product would you consider purchasing in the next 60 days if it were available?
Pace Handicapping: Which Paceline Should I Select? 14 9.93%
Basics of Winning: How to Make an Odds Line 7 4.96%
Speed Handicapping After the Numbers 3 2.13%
Handicapping Late Speed 4 2.84%
Fred Davis 2009: A Systematic Handicapping Approach 15 10.64%
A New Approach to Form Cycle Analysis 16 11.35%
Basics of Winning: Which Bet to Make? 9 6.38%
Pace Handicapping: New Modeling Techniques 19 13.48%
Monty Hall: Getting 2/3s the Winners in 1/3 the Horses 20 14.18%
Twenty Winning Spot Play Angles 18 12.77%
Basics of Winning: Finding the Vulnerable Favorite 12 8.51%
Basics of Winning: Favorites You Should Bet 4 2.84%
Voters: 141. This poll is closed

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #16
Big Bill

Dave,

Interesting that seven of the 'products' got fewer votes in the poll than #1 (Paceline selection), yet none of the posts to the thread mentioned #1!

I'd love to see what you might write about paceline selection.

Big Bill
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #17
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlay
Not to pull this thread off-topic, but check this earlier thread:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...t=21334&page=1
The obvious answer to the question in the thread is that Monty could manipulate the odds by knowing which door contained the car, and could use that information as a means for not giving away the car if the contestant stuck with his/her original choice (door #1). The original odds were approximately 33% of picking the right door with 3 doors available, one of which, contains a car. This is only because Monty has not had the chance to manipulate the odds yet. He only has that chance after the contestant picks a door.

If Monty had no knowledge of which door contained the car then the correct answer is 50%, for changing doors from door #1 to door #3, after door #2 was opened, otherwise the answer could be 66% or 0% chance if the contestant decided to not change doors, and Monty knows that most of the time contestants given this scenario will not switch doors.

This, of course, is dependent on whether or not Monty or his boss wanted to try to give away a car on that particular show (they don't know for sure because some contestants actually switch doors from their original pick). Both Monty and his boss know that in order to increase ratings it is important to occasionally give away a car, even after the first "non-car" door is opened. If the car was never behind the door that the contestant decided to switch to, then the viewing public would eventually pick up on it and scream "FIX".

Now are you even more confused?

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #18
Overlay

It goes to show that if Pascal had taken the promotional/business aspects of the situation into consideration, probability theory would have headed in a completely different direction.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #19
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Each one is a complete book.
OK, book of the month then?
Old 01-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #20
headhawg
crusty old guy

headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #21
Sinner369

Suggestion For You Dave!

Dave:

How about a chapter or two on each one............in summary form?

It would be a best seller!!!

sinner
Old 01-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #22
Greyfox

Hmm? Maybe that's what Dave is "phishing for" and ultimately doing?

If so, .
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #23
plainolebill

1, 6, 9 please.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #24
Dave Schwartz

Greyfox,

These are all titles that take 60-100 pages or more to discourse about. I am not writing a 900-page book.

I simply want to know what to produce first.

I expected Fred Davis to be #1 but did not expect some of the other high-scorers.

As close as it is, we may need a run-off. <G>

Dave
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #25
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Dave, what and who is Fred Davis? and Monty Hall?
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #26
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Greyfox,

These are all titles that take 60-100 pages or more to discourse about. I am not writing a 900-page book.

I simply want to know what to produce first.

I expected Fred Davis to be #1 but did not expect some of the other high-scorers.

As close as it is, we may need a run-off. <G>

Dave
I assume you have considered what demographic group will purchase the majority of this kind of work; amateur players, average handicappers, advanced handicappers, etc..

If it were me, I'd start with the one that is the most basic, relating to that demographic group. Many of the titles you listed are much more advanced than the others, so, unless you're expecting the advanced crowd to purchase most of the books, I'd start with titles that are not so advanced.

That way, they are presented in a logical series and would be followed by the least knowledgeable group because they gain knowledge with each step in the progression.

If you start at the other end of the spectrum you will lose much of the least knowledgeable group, "right off the bat", because you started "over their head".

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America

Last edited by raybo; 01-05-2009 at 12:05 AM.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2009, 12:30 AM   #27
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure
Dave, what and who is Fred Davis? and Monty

Hall?
Fred Davis is the father of impact values "Percentages and probabilities" circa early 70s I think? a statistical technique that allows one to tell at a glance if a certain aspect of a horses pp is meaningful or not. If Dave produces a modern version of this work it would be awesome.

Last edited by Hank; 01-05-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2009, 03:37 AM   #28
Overlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure
Dave, what and who is Fred Davis? and Monty Hall?
Monty Hall was the host of the daytime TV game show Let's Make A Deal, in which he would select members of the audience and offer them either a totally blind choice of a prize, or a partially-blind choice (in which they would be given the opportunity to trade something that they knew they had already won for an unknown item of potentially greater value). The prizes could be a valuable prize, a sum of money, or a "zonk" (a valueless item). At the end of each show, he would offer the high-value winners on the day a chance to trade the prizes that they had already won for a chance to win the biggest prize of the day, which was located behind one of three doors. Sometimes, after the contestant had chosen one of the doors, he would reveal what was behind one of the doors that they had not chosen (which would not be the biggest-value prize), and then offer them an option to change their original choice, if they wished. The "Monty Hall problem" centers around the optimum strategy as to whether the contestant should change their original door choice, after knowing that one of the doors that they had not chosen was not the grand prize.

Last edited by Overlay; 01-05-2009 at 03:45 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:42 AM   #29
Overlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
Fred Davis is the father of impact values "Percentages and probabilities" circa early 70s I think? a statistical technique that allows one to tell at a glance if a certain aspect of a horses pp is meaningful or not. If Dave produces a modern version of this work it would be awesome.
Fred Davis also pioneered the concept of "impact value", which was later expanded on by authors such as William Quirin in Winning at the Races, and Mike Nunamaker in any of his various statistical studies. (If I recall, however, the technique that Davis outlined in Percentages and Probabilities employed weighted numerical values for the various factors, rather than the impact values themselves (which I think would have been more useful).
Old 01-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #30
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
If I recall, however, the technique that Davis outlined in Percentages and Probabilities employed weighted numerical values for the various factors, rather than the impact values themselves (which I think would have been more useful).
Overlay,

Actually, they were pre-computed IVs, built into several tables.

Dave
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply