Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 11-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #1
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Dominance By Wally Hennessey at Pompano

Never in my 36 years of following racing have I ever seen a single driver just completely dominate the way Wally Hennessey is at Pompano Park. And I used to watch Walter Case, Jr.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 875FE013-C15D-4741-9316-6C49CABE7CBE.jpg (500.4 KB, 46 views)
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #2
coachv30

I noticed that too....pretty incredible. He has really been taking command of those short 5 horse fields they have been having four of the first five races the past month. I think he was winning an average of 3 of the first 5 for a few weeks in a row.

I think one of the pick fives a few weeks ago paid $17.20 for 50 cents. He won 4 of the 5 races.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:08 PM   #3
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
Never in my 36 years of following racing have I ever seen a single driver just completely dominate the way Wally Hennessey is at Pompano Park. And I used to watch Walter Case, Jr.
Wow, that's something.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2018, 11:34 PM   #4
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Quote:
Yes I used to watch Case in Monticello, went to University in Upstate NY. Remember many nights when he would win 5 or 6. Fun

Z
Old 11-28-2018, 11:58 PM   #5
Suff
Beat up 💪

Walter Case

Saw him a few times in Lewiston Maine. I had a girlfriend up there. A sweet french canadien, lived on Lisbon street, worked in a shoe factory like everybody else in Lewiston/Auburn. The river ran brown from leather tanning.

Last edited by Suff; 11-29-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Saw him a few times in Lewiston Maine. I had a girlfriend up there. A sweet french canadien, lived on Lisbon street, worked in a shoe factory like everybody else in Lewiston/Auburn. The river ran brown from leather tanning.
when i was a kid i met Bobby Frankel when he trained at Scarborough Downs. the next time i met him was at the racing office in Belmont over 50 years later. he was watching a race and i asked him if he remembered the day in Scarborough that i met him and he actually smiled.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
bello
Veteran

Quote:
M

That is truly amazing....And he must be in his late 50s or 60s. But the names below him are certainly no superstars.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 10:52 AM   #8
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
when i was a kid i met Bobby Frankel when he trained at Scarborough Downs. the next time i met him was at the racing office in Belmont over 50 years latertion of the stret he was watching a race and i asked him if he remembered the day in Scarborough that i met him and he actually smiled.
Come on man.....I th0ught you were in your 40's. I wish I saw tbred racing at Scarboro. When I was in NY we would vacation at OOB every year for at least 20 consecutive years and I would be at the DOWNS. The old paddock saddling ring was still there between the parking lot and track. Of course decrepid and falling apart but I would envision the days they used it as well as the entire mile track which is still there. Of course they shortened the track to use only a small portion of the stretch for 1/2 mile harness racing

BTW Celebrity Lambo is racing race at at Harrahs Phil today

Last edited by bello; 11-29-2018 at 10:55 AM.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #9
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Wally Hennessy is not now and has never been in Walter Case's class (Case in the late 80s). Not even close.

On Bobby Frankel, he must have had an a amazing memory to remember someone (as implied) from a one-time brief encounter some 50 years prior.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #10
RichieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
Yes I used to watch Case in Monticello, went to University in Upstate NY. Remember many nights when he would win 5 or 6. Fun

Z
Walter had won 5 races on a Yonkers card, came home threw a big pile of cash on his bed and was walking around cursing and really pissed. When asked what was up he said he should of won another race he got beat in and couldn't take it!

Another time he walked into a buddy of mine's pizza joint down the bottom of the Avenue by Bronx River Road. It was early and they were running the day/night doubleheaders then. My buddy had no clue who he was. He had a bite to eat and was getting ready to leave. I asked him if he liked anyone and he gave me 3 horses on the matinee card then walked out. After telling my friend who he was he gave me some dough (not pizza dough!) and I went up and made some bets. All 3 won, 2 were short but one came back like 10 bucks or so and we were happy campers.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #11
MONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
Wally Hennessy is not now and has never been in Walter Case's class (Case in the late 80s). Not even close.

On Bobby Frankel, he must have had an a amazing memory to remember someone (as implied) from a one-time brief encounter some 50 years prior.
Successful people have incredible memories.
The 1st time that I met Mayor Ed Koch, he asked me what my 1st name was.
Several years later we met again and he remembered my name.
The same thing happen with Mayor David Dinkins.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:32 PM   #12
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
I agree, but IMO Walter never had raw numerical stats like this. I’ve been trying to find stats for Case to make a comparison, but I haven’t found them.

Last edited by Zman179; 11-29-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:20 PM   #13
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY View Post
Successful people have incredible memories.
The 1st time that I met Mayor Ed Koch, he asked me what my 1st name was.
Several years later we met again and he remembered my name.
The same thing happen with Mayor David Dinkins.
Bobby Frankel died at 68, so I guess he met Lambo when he was 17 or 18 years old (it had been 50+ years). I do appreciate your point, though.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #14
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
I agree, but IMO Walter never had raw numerical stats like this. I’ve been trying to find stats for Case to make a comparison, but I haven’t found them.
In the early 90s, Case may have been winning at a 30% to 35% clip at Yonkers, but no way it was 50%+. Hennessey is a talented driver, racing for peanuts, so there's essentially no competition. When he drives at Saratoga, where there's big-time slots money, his numbers are much more pedestrian, as I'm sure you already know.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:04 PM   #15
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
In the early 90s, Case may have been winning at a 30% to 35% clip at Yonkers, but no way it was 50%+. Hennessey is a talented driver, racing for peanuts, so there's essentially no competition. When he drives at Saratoga, where there's big-time slots money, his numbers are much more pedestrian, as I'm sure you already know.
I don’t think Wally has ever had a start like this in his entire career, at least not to my knowledge. But yes, the Saratoga driver colony is a LOT more competitive than Pompano’s, yet he has the highest winning percentage and UDRS of any Spa driver with 50+ starts this year. He’s having a phenomenal year.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BDE34BE5-6B91-4669-BBB5-B9DEE11F224E.jpg (432.7 KB, 15 views)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: