Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 10-04-2018, 06:17 PM   #1
Profesor

IRAD ORTIZ

Strange ride by I Ortiz on the even money favorite in the 9th today, im pretty sure he knows that of the 4 previous turf races 2 were won wire to wire by a 28-1 and 11-1 shots and in the other turf races one winner was sitting 2nd and the other winner came from 3D, in the 9th race today he is riding the clear speed of the race #10, so what does the little EINSTEIN do he breaks really good but he decides that he is going to let 11 take the lead and he is going rate in 5th the 11 of course wins wire to wire and mr Ortiz plodds along for the show
Someone told me a long time ago. ((nobody has ever confused a jockey w/ smart)) it’s either that or they are playing games. Thoughts?

Last edited by Profesor; 10-04-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Profesor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profesor View Post
Strange ride by I Ortiz on the even money favorite in the 9th today, im pretty sure he knows that of the 4 previous turf races 2 were won wire to wire by a 28-1 and 11-1 shots and in the other turf races one winner was sitting 2nd and the other winner came from 3D, in the 9th race today he is riding the clear speed of the race #10, so what does the little EINSTEIN do he breaks really good but he decides that he is going to let 11 take the lead and he is going rate in 5th the 11 of course wins wire to wire and mr Ortiz plodds along for the show
Someone told me a long time ago. ((nobody has ever confused a jockey w/ smart)) it’s either that or they are playing games. Thoughts?
Thru the years....there have been several threads of THIS EXACT thing happening...not only by Irad....but others as well...ssssooooo the answer is...

a). He tried a new strategy on his own

b). The trainer/owner gave him instructions to do so...teaching to rate at betters expense ect...

c). there was a meeting (nefarious in nature) prior to the race in the jockeys' room or on the side..

You'll never know which is accurate...all three things happen from time to time

My answer...pretty much quit betting most races...just stakes races...and then only those worth $250k or more....and even then you get some no efforts...but not as often...

Sad state of racing today....
Old 10-04-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
Profesor

I guess Jeff Mullins was right when he called us handicappers STUPID for betting on horses.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #4
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
I guess Jeff Mullins was right when he called us handicappers STUPID for betting on horses.

He might have said STUPID handicappers betting on horses, but thats just a guess.

Seriously, a rational view of the race observes that the winner left the gate running, and easily outran them into the bend.

For the 10 to get the lead there would have required hysterical pumping by the rider, which may not have been effective anyway, and not how chads horses are ever ridden.

Nope, nothing to see here, except a horse that didnt run very well and probably didn't like the going, as most haven't this week.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2018, 11:02 PM   #5
Profesor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
He might have said STUPID handicappers betting on horses, but thats just a guess.

Seriously, a rational view of the race observes that the winner left the gate running, and easily outran them into the bend.

For the 10 to get the lead there would have required hysterical pumping by the rider, which may not have been effective anyway, and not how chads horses are ever ridden.

Nope, nothing to see here, except a horse that didnt run very well and probably didn't like the going, as most haven't this week.

FYI. You call your view of the race RATIONAL do your self a big favor and go look at the replay again and you will see how IRATIONAL your first view of this race was, both the 10 and the 11 left the gate running,Actually the 10 out broke the 11 no serious pumping was needed for Ortiz to get to the lead just a little encouragement,if he urges his horse he probably gets the lead and 11 settles for a stalking trip,or if the 11 wants the lead he gets the garden spot,you say that’s not how C,B horses are ridden well maybe for the majority of them but this particular horse was stalking fast 1st 1/4s sprinting and the only time he went long he almost won wire to wire on good turf, so today this horse gets the conditions he wants but the jockey and the trainer decide to rate I don’t think so,and F.Y.I and I know what you’re implying MULLINS said that all people who bet on horses are stupid, and YOU and I know that that statement has a lot of truth in it, who else would be willing to risk his hard earned cash on game w/ an absurd take out,I won’t go into the other shenanigans that go on daily,the take out rate alone should be enough to discourage any sane person from risking their cash,but we keep risking, are we stupid? I don’t thinks so.

Last edited by Profesor; 10-04-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:32 PM   #6
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

https://www.nyra.com/belmont/racing/replays

Need to select race 9 in the “Race” Drop-down box...

Yeah, that was pretty bad optics...never wanted or tried to be in the race for the win...ALMOST like the fix was in....huh?

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 10-04-2018 at 11:38 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2018, 11:58 PM   #7
AltonKelsey
Veteran

You're probably right. All a jock has to do is wave his arms, chirp, and any horse can get the lead ,even if some other horse is faster and is doing the same thing.

Man, if only they didn't fix all these races we'd rollin in dough

Here's good news, the horse was claimed by Gargan, so its now out of the clutches of the bad men, and can run to its full glory next out.

Last edited by AltonKelsey; 10-05-2018 at 12:06 AM.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2018, 12:14 AM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

For whatever it is worth TimeformUS had the 11 as much faster early than the 10. Anyone that has watched the racing on the Widener course recently has to know the rail is the much preferred path. The 10 was a terrible favorite.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2018, 12:55 AM   #9
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

In the head-on view, I thought the ran an interesting tactical race, sort of running interference for the winner....the was an absolute dog in the PP’s and yet managed to finish 6 lengths in front of Irad .

The announcer called out Eric Cancel as the rider of but the Charts list Christopher De Carlo as the winning jockey.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2018, 08:52 AM   #10
pandy

The 11 was my Best Bet yesterday, had a huge pace advantage on my numbers.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
In the head-on view, I thought the ran an interesting tactical race, sort of running interference for the winner....the was an absolute dog in the PP’s and yet managed to finish 6 lengths in front of Irad .

The announcer called out Eric Cancel as the rider of but the Charts list Christopher De Carlo as the winning jockey.
It was Cancel.

I'm not sure why you'd say the 3 was a dog in the PPs. She was 3rd off the layoff, had run some decent races as a 2yo, and was dropping in class.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:59 AM   #12
Profesor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
You're probably right. All a jock has to do is wave his arms, chirp, and any horse can get the lead ,even if some other horse is faster and is doing the same thing.

Man, if only they didn't fix all these races we'd rollin in dough

Here's good news, the horse was claimed by Gargan, so its now out of the clutches of the bad men, and can run to its full glory next out.
The question was that the horse had speed there was an obvious speed bias to all (except the great IRAD)) and he never made an attempt to go for the lead, a little encouragement will have done the job, and IRAD WAS NOT DOING THE SAME THING No one said the race was fixed,just a terrible ride by the great Irad when he wants ( nobody has ever confused jockey w/ smart)
Old 10-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #13
Profesor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
For whatever it is worth TimeformUS had the 11 as much faster early than the 10. Anyone that has watched the racing on the Widener course recently has to know the rail is the much preferred path. The 10 was a terrible favorite.
C.J The # 10 if encouraged at worst will be sitting 2nd on the rail, Was the #3 faster than the #10 too? I guess the great IRAD ORTIZ is the only one who has not been watching racing on the widener lately,if they told me that the #10 will be ridden the way he was,I would’ve said that he was a terrible favorite too.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #14
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I agree. I think she just wasn't good enough and it wasn't due to the ride. When a horse runs poorly because it is rated excessively it typically gains on the leader in the stretch as she applies her energy too late. The 10 actually lost ground on the leader. in the stretch. The only horses she passed late were tiring. This was not the typical finish of a horse who went too slow early.

Last edited by bobphilo; 10-05-2018 at 10:31 AM.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2018, 10:33 AM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
C.J The # 10 if encouraged at worst will be sitting 2nd on the rail, Was the #3 faster than the #10 too? I guess the great IRAD ORTIZ is the only one who has not been watching racing on the widener lately,if they told me that the #10 will be ridden the way he was,I would’ve said that he was a terrible favorite too.
They were close on the Pace Projector with the 10 shown one position ahead of the 3.

I'm not sure why anyone would expect a horse ridden by Irad and trained by Chad Brown to be gunning out of the gate regardless of the course condition. It just doesn't happen. I imagine Irad mostly does what he is told, and why wouldn't he? You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: