Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-27-2018, 11:32 AM   #121
airford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
Santa Anita is one of the most beautiful tracks in the world, has some of the fastest and classiest horses in racing, an outstanding colony of jockeys and trainers, and has perfect weather most of the time with hardly any races having to come off the turf. And now they finally seem to have gotten rid of the speed bias, most of the time. That's a lot to offer.
You are killing me Smalls. "outstanding colony of jockeys and trainers," and if the racing stock was so good why are trainers from the East coming in to take the big purses and roll back home. Now that you speak with such high regards for Santa Anita you must enjoy the 5-6 horse races which makes it easier to find the winner in a smaller field. 4/5 is also appealing when it should be 2/1 if santa anita had a 12 horse race. Now if you have EVER been to the great race place over the last 25 years you would know that the Patron services have been on a free fall with no sign of getting better. Crapped on Trevor, now Wrona . Love the new wagering for the bettor, Rainbow Jackpot. Good stuff. I'm done with Santa Anita for ALOT of reasons and the firing of more staff is the last straw. We all have choices.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #122
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holybull1 View Post
Not being interested in betting a track because of the track announcer is no more far fetched than betting because of the paddock host. I read where Beulah Park simulcast handle increased over 50% after they introduced the Beulah twins.
Brilliant move, if a somewhat humbling one for fat and bald in-house analysts.
The dude who scripted them, btw, sure liked the term "pork chop." As in : "This horse looks pork chop," or: "That trifecta paid pork chop."

The legendary twins, for what its worth, reportedly have gone super-sized. And I don't mean a McDonald's #4.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #123
azeri98

Mirimahdi is the new track announcer at Santa Anita. He starts Dec 26th
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #124
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Wrona is good and accurate and I wish him luck, but I personally didn't like his whiny voice and accent and I often turned down the volume. Denman was one of the all-time best, of course, but he had a great voice and his accent wasn't strong. But unfortunately, in my opinion, Denman's success induced other tracks to hire announcers with English accents and none of them could shine Denman's shoes. And I don't recall ever hearing a race call from a track in England where the announcer has an American accent.

I'm glad Frank Mirahmadi is getting the job, which he should have had in the first place. Now I can listen to the Santa Anita calls again. If Wrona was so well liked by the Santa Anita fan base, he wouldn't have been fired.
Denman is from South Africa. Wrona is Australian. Peter Berry is Australian. I can't think of any English announcers here.

I think all three of those men are good race callers. Still, now that that have chiclets when showing the races on TV/computer, I find myself not listening to the announcer as closely as I used to.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #125
azeri98

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
Denman is from South Africa. Wrona is Australian. Peter Berry is Australian. I can't think of any English announcers here.

I think all three of those men are good race callers. Still, now that that have chiclets when showing the races on TV/computer, I find myself not listening to the announcer as closely as I used to.
Mark Johnson lasted one year at Churchill Downs. he was just awful
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #126
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Neither Denman nor Wrona are English or have English accents.
You know what I mean.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #127
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post

I didn't say they were English, but all of those accents are English accents, or close enough, as far as I'm concerned. But Denman's voice and accent sounded great. He had great tone, a great announcer's voice. To me, the sound of an announcer's voice matters.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #128
the little guy

Quote:
I didn't say they were English, but all of those accents are English accents, or close enough, as far as I'm concerned. But Denman's voice and accent sounded great. He had great tone, a great announcer's voice. To me, the sound of an announcer's voice matters.

As far as you're concerned.

Yeah, you know, they all kind of look alike.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #129
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98 View Post
Mark Johnson lasted one year at Churchill Downs. he was just awful
I thought Mark was at CD longer than a year. No?
Old 11-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #130
Holybull1

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I thought Mark was at CD longer than a year. No?
I believe he was there for five years. He beat out Larry Collmus, Bobby Neuman, Travis Stone, and Michael Wrona for the job.

Last edited by Holybull1; 11-27-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Holybull1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2018, 02:47 PM   #131
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Mark Johnson (November 26–29, 2008, 2009–2013) at Churchill Downs
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #132
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holybull1 View Post
I believe he was there for five years. He beat out Larry Collmus, Bobby Neuman, Travis Stone, and Michael Wrona for the job.
I heard he finished 5th in the voting but was still named the announcer.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #133
v j stauffer

I don't have a dog in this fight. I've known both Michael and Frank for many years. They're both friends and IMO both outstanding announcers.

I will say one thing that I'm VERY VERY sure of. Not ONE person. Not ONE is going to choose whether or not to play the races at Santa Anita or ANY other racetrack in the world based on who the announcer and or the paddock talent is. Has NEVER happened. Will NEVER happen. I've read in these threads people saying they will now boycott Santa Anita because they didn't renew Michael's contract and brought Frank on board.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #134
pandy

I would imagine that Santa Anita did internal polling of some sort to determine the popularity of the announcer before deciding on a contract renewal, but who knows.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #135
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
Holybull is absolutely correct

In 1997, weary of seeing Beulah crowded out of the simulcast market by signals from better tracks, Weiss came up with his signature move. He hired two young, attractive women who had been working as mutuel clerks to host the simulcast show, and they became an instant brand and industry-wide phenomenon. Blatant sexism it was, but all-sources wagering almost doubled within two years, no doubt the result of older men in simulcast parlors paying closer attention to the Beulah signal.

Katie and Jenna were the names of “The Beulah Twins,” whose seductive images were shown in Playboy (a bikini spread, that is) and were featured in numerous mainstream media outlets. They even had their own twin bobblehead.

“There’s no doubt they are noticed,” Weiss said in a 1999 article in the New York Daily News, “and our off-track numbers have gone up significantly. I can’t say it’s 100 percent because of them, but they have made people look at our races.”

https://www.drf.com/news/requiem-rac...orsemen-behind
Sorry, not buying it.......he can claim anything he wants......

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: