Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-04-2017, 10:52 PM   #1
Benni

What does "value of race" mean, re purse

The purse for the Beholder Mile race was $400k. Yet this reads that the value of the race is $368k.

1 MILE. ( 1.33§ ) 76TH RUNNING OF THE BEHOLDER MILE. Grade I. Purse $400,000 FOR FILLIES
AND MARES THREE YEARS OLDS AND UPWARD.
Value of Race: $368,000 Winner $240,000;second $80,000;third $48,000. Mutuel Pool $263,941.00Exacta Pool $89,024.00

Why is there a diff of purse and value of race?

Thank you.
Benni is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2017, 11:34 PM   #2
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benni View Post
The purse for the Beholder Mile race was $400k. Yet this reads that the value of the race is $368k.

1 MILE. ( 1.33§ ) 76TH RUNNING OF THE BEHOLDER MILE. Grade I. Purse $400,000 FOR FILLIES
Value of Race: $368,000 Winner $240,000;second $80,000;third $48,000. Mutuel Pool $263,941.00Exacta Pool $89,024.00

Thank you.
The purse is actually distributed to finishers down to fifth or sixth place, and some tracks give every starter a piece of the purse. Every track has their own distribution formula, but in this case fourth place probably got 5% and fifth place 3%.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2017, 11:49 PM   #3
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benni View Post

Thank you.
Benni, this race only had 3 starters at the gate, as there were 5 entries, but 2 horses scratched, thus no monies were paid out to 4th and 5th. So, the "purse" available for the race was $400,000, but the actual "value of race" was $368,000 since that's all that could be paid out to the 3 runners......The other $32,000 goes back in the purse fund.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2017, 12:08 AM   #4
SuperPickle

Your answer is the track put up $400k but only $368k of horse flesh showed up.

I believe the missing $32,000 is the 4th and 5th place money from the $400k.

So basically your answer is rather than letting the three horses split the extra money the track is taking back the 4th and 5th hence the $400k becomes $368k
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2017, 12:36 AM   #5
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Is there any thing to the idea that purse amount is roughly equal to class level, so that shippers can be somewhat identified class level wise by purse amount of recent races...?

Also, where is there a database that shows the purse amounts for all the races for all the tracks....I heard there was such a database but did not know who runs it...
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2017, 12:49 AM   #6
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle View Post
Your answer is the track put up $400k but only $368k of horse flesh showed up.

I believe the missing $32,000 is the 4th and 5th place money from the $400k.

So basically your answer is rather than letting the three horses split the extra money the track is taking back the 4th and 5th hence the $400k becomes $368k
Hey SP, you must have me on IGNORE.....I just gave the complete answer the post before yours.....Thanks.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Is there any thing to the idea that purse amount is roughly equal to class level, so that shippers can be somewhat identified class level wise by purse amount of recent races...?

Also, where is there a database that shows the purse amounts for all the races for all the tracks....I heard there was such a database but did not know who runs it...
That used to be the idea, better horses run for better purses. Trying to compare the purse levels now with shippers and the inflated purse levels at different tracks is tricky. I do still look at it but take it with a grain of salt.

https://www.ownerview.com/race-tracks/purses

I use that sometimes to get a general idea.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #8
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe View Post
That used to be the idea, better horses run for better purses. Trying to compare the purse levels now with shippers and the inflated purse levels at different tracks is tricky. I do still look at it but take it with a grain of salt.

https://www.ownerview.com/race-tracks/purses

I use that sometimes to get a general idea.
Good link. Thanks.

The info I'd like to find is "average" training costs.

For example, one track might have purses that are 10% higher than another, but if the average daily rate for a good trainer is 15% higher, it changes the math for the owner on where he might want to run.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Hey SP, you must have me on IGNORE.....I just gave the complete answer the post before yours.....Thanks.
You never know, if you read oldest to newest like I often do and respond to a post, while reading, it can happen. I've done it myself.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
green80

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Good link. Thanks.

The info I'd like to find is "average" training costs.

For example, one track might have purses that are 10% higher than another, but if the average daily rate for a good trainer is 15% higher, it changes the math for the owner on where he might want to run.
I have heard of training rates from $35- $200 a day depending who and where, although basically the cost to train a horse is close to the same. I don't think a 50lbs sack of feed varies that much from coast to coast.

I think you are on the right track here if you can find a track with nice purses and low training rates.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
I have heard of training rates from $35- $200 a day depending who and where, although basically the cost to train a horse is close to the same. I don't think a 50lbs sack of feed varies that much from coast to coast.

I think you are on the right track here if you can find a track with nice purses and low training rates.
There are lots of guys already doing this.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #12
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post

Another angle would be to find a trainer whose rate does not reflect his ability.

People tend to focus on wins, win%, high profile races, total earnings etc.. But is that really the measure of a trainer from an owner's perspective?

Let's say you find a trainer that's keeping his horses sound better and that's leading to more races per year or an extra year of racing out of his stock. He/she is very valuable to you as an owner.

1 or 2 extra starts per year or an extra year of racing is worth a lot of money.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 06-05-2017 at 04:31 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
Benni

Thank you to everyone for the great information.
Benni is offline   Reply With Quote Reply