Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-04-2016, 11:05 PM   #1
jahura2

Most People Just Dont get It

Preaching here. Made a little bit of money on that amazing Distaff and been drinking Woodford Reserve all night so pardon me. Only people on this board might understand my reason for posting.. I have been in this game since 1970, 60 yrs. old yet I continuously have to defend myself and this great sport as more than just a degenerate gamblers outlet. I saw the heart in Songbird and Beholder today that I have not seen since Ali came back from his suspension.
I think it is up to us to show others that these athletes are in for the sport and not for the contracts,various pharmaceuticals aside, they give their all every day for a small amount of hay and oats. Athletic competition at its highest form.
I know a lot of you play this game only for the dollars, but today was just another example of why its more than that. I could care less if anyone else agrees with my pontificating but I had to speak out on how much I love this sport you guys and gals are the only ones that might understand.
jahura2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #2
MutuelClerk

100% agree. When great rivals who have never met live up to the billing and exceed it doesn't get much better. Those two champions dueled the entire length of the stretch. No give. Lot's of heart. Racing at it's finest. Lets hope tomorrows card come close to matching. Enjoy the Reserve. Congrats on a profitable day and appreciating the sport for what it truly is.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2016, 11:42 PM   #3
Benni

My daughter and I play in a Fantasy Stable League and we have had Beholder since she was two years old. I always have to laugh because IRL she was sold for $180,000 at the sales but when we bid on her in the auction she cost us $520.000.

I LOVE Beholder so much. I could just picture Richard Mandella's face when the post positions were selected for today's race. Like, "Ok, we got this one!" I have been so tense most of the day. I was practically hyperventilating during the race. And I literally sobbed like a baby when it was official (I tend to be an emotional creature, lol). I'm going to miss my beautiful Beholder while I am so grateful she raced for many years, winning and staying sound. I sure wish more horses were raced longer and not retired so early. So many times it is said "what if he/she had raced one more year, what would we have seen?"

That was one hell of a race. There are various kinds of exciting, but gritting it out to the wire is the best kind, IMHO. These four-legged athletes are incredible and it's wonderful to see them so competitive and at their very best.

Last edited by Benni; 11-04-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Benni is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2016, 02:50 AM   #4
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benni
My daughter and I play in a Fantasy Stable League and we have had Beholder since she was two years old. I always have to laugh because IRL she was sold for $180,000 at the sales but when we bid on her in the auction she cost us $520.000.

I LOVE Beholder so much. I could just picture Richard Mandella's face when the post positions were selected for today's race. Like, "Ok, we got this one!" I have been so tense most of the day. I was practically hyperventilating during the race. And I literally sobbed like a baby when it was official (I tend to be an emotional creature, lol). I'm going to miss my beautiful Beholder while I am so grateful she raced for many years, winning and staying sound. I sure wish more horses were raced longer and not retired so early. So many times it is said "what if he/she had raced one more year, what would we have seen?"

That was one hell of a race. There are various kinds of exciting, but gritting it out to the wire is the best kind, IMHO. These four-legged athletes are incredible and it's wonderful to see them so competitive and at their very best.
Benni reading your post made me think back. I have won with Beholder in every BC race since she was 2! What a gal. I have always believed in her and she showed it again today.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2016, 06:45 AM   #5
pandy

Great race on paper, great race in real time. I was so happy to see that the track hasn't been speed favoring and they didn't mess with it, nice fair track yesterday. Turf course could be better, but it's typical for Santa Anita spray paint turf.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
Broad Brush

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahura2
Preaching here. Made a little bit of money on that amazing Distaff and been drinking Woodford Reserve all night so pardon me. Only people on this board might understand my reason for posting.. I have been in this game since 1970, 60 yrs. old yet I continuously have to defend myself and this great sport as more than just a degenerate gamblers outlet. I saw the heart in Songbird and Beholder today that I have not seen since Ali came back from his suspension.
I think it is up to us to show others that these athletes are in for the sport and not for the contracts,various pharmaceuticals aside, they give their all every day for a small amount of hay and oats. Athletic competition at its highest form.
I know a lot of you play this game only for the dollars, but today was just another example of why its more than that. I could care less if anyone else agrees with my pontificating but I had to speak out on how much I love this sport you guys and gals are the only ones that might understand.
I always enjoy reading posts like yours!!
I have had to "Defend" my interest in this game my whole life to people.
They just don't seem to get it. To me the horses seem so much more
noble as athletes than other sports. As I have posted before, I see this
in everyday claimers not just Grade I horses. I bet Beholder yesterday and at
the 1/4 pole I thought she was going to blow Songbird away. When Songbird
dug in I found myself almost hoping she would win it.

I hope you have a great 2nd BC day....
Broad Brush is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #7
nearco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahura2

It is much much more than that. It would be a start if "Cappers" referred to horses by name, and not numbers, not just in the big races, but in 5k claimers at Beluah.

About the only thing more amazing than watching Thoroughbreds in full flight, is sitting on top of one in full flight.
nearco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply