Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-08-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
cees with dees
St.Jimmy

Mr. b

I was watching TVG the other day and a horse was hesitant to load into the starting gate
Mr. b said he couldn't understand it as the horse was coming off three wins in a row.
My questions are:
What does winning races have to do with loading into the starting gate?
Does Bob really think horses know that they've won??
I think all the horses really know is that a feedbag is waiting for them back at the barn.
Ben
cees with dees is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
The Hawk

Getting handicapping information from TVG is like getting your news from The Onion.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk
Getting handicapping information from TVG is like getting your news from The Onion.
ROLMFAO
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
levinmpa

TVG, where "Free means Free". They take $0.25 for every wager you make, but only up to $19.95 per month. So the $2 bettor gets hit with an additional 12.5% on top of the already high takeout. What a deal. If you don't use your account for awhile, they hit you with a monthly fee for "inactivity". Why does anyone give this company any business when there are other options in the market that don't nickel and dime you like this? I just don't get it. If I got hit by any fee whatsoever by my ADW, I would say "see ya".
levinmpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
sandpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cees with dees
I was watching TVG the other day and a horse was hesitant to load into the starting gate
Mr. b said he couldn't understand it as the horse was coming off three wins in a row.
My questions are:
What does winning races have to do with loading into the starting gate?
I think all the horses really know is that a feedbag is waiting for them back at the barn.
Ben
He may be off base quite a bit, but I am certain that some horses know when they win or lose. I took care of a filly that used to sulk for 3 or 4 days after a losing race, but when she won you could hardly keep her on the ground for a week. They all aren't like that, but she was.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
Stillriledup
Veteran

Our local and state governments just permit businesses to lie outright to potential customers. No one calls them on this free means free business. Whoever pays money to TVG to place a wager is a dope.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
feelup1963

TVG????

I AGREE WITH YOU GUYS .I REALLY DO KNOWN WHY PEOPLE ARE SUPPORTING TVG.
feelup1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpit
He may be off base quite a bit, but I am certain that some horses know when they win or lose. I took care of a filly that used to sulk for 3 or 4 days after a losing race, but when she won you could hardly keep her on the ground for a week. They all aren't like that, but she was.

Yes, most do know when they win or loose...cees with dees...sometimes, the really good ones will 'have their hearts broken' by another horse that continues to beat them...like Sham & Secretariat...also a reason trainers will give a horse a 'confidence booster'...run them where they will win.

But, IMO, it has nothing to do with loading...a horse can run dozens of races, win, loose or draw, load every time, and then one day just decides something ain't right...and balk at the gate.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
swale84

Quote:
Originally Posted by cees with dees
Ben

You must not have worked around horses...of course they know when they win. Its a competition to them also. And most feed is put into a feed tub....not a feed bag
swale84 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

First, I like Mr B. He's been doing this all his life and loves the game. Any guy that used his military leave and all the resoures he could muster to get from southeast Asia to just be able to take in a couple days at Del Mar is good by me. You don't have to agree with anything someone says, but you should listen as it may help with your own handicapping in one way or another.

As to winning and then having loading problems, who knows. I always give a horse one, but if there are repeated gate issues, it's a pattern not an anomaly. No matter who the horse is, rule #1 applies

Some days Mr Horse just don't feel like jackassing around the track with a little man on his back.

And sometimes that's all there is to it.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Our local and state governments just permit businesses to lie outright to potential customers. No one calls them on this free means free business. Whoever pays money to TVG to place a wager is a dope.
Thanks for enlightening me Einstein !!

What I'll do tomorrow if I decide to wager is leave work early (lost wages)
drive to Laurel Park (gas in the car), pay $3 to get in, make my wagers and maybe have a beer ($4.50) drive home in heavy traffic from DC (more gas)
and hope that I had a good day at the track.

You, sir , are the dope here. Last I checked ALL ADW'S are by choice- why do you give a rat's f----ng a-s where I spend my money?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
TJDave

Not Fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied

sometimes, the really good ones will 'have their hearts broken' by another horse that continues to beat them...like Sham & Secretariat
Secretariat was head/shoulder above any horse, EVER. However, had Sham been sound he would have beaten Secretariat in the Whitney.

Not because he was better, but his trainer was.
TJDave is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
The Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
Thanks for enlightening me Einstein !!

What I'll do tomorrow if I decide to wager is leave work early (lost wages)
drive to Laurel Park (gas in the car), pay $3 to get in, make my wagers and maybe have a beer ($4.50) drive home in heavy traffic from DC (more gas)
and hope that I had a good day at the track.

You, sir , are the dope here. Last I checked ALL ADW'S are by choice- why do you give a rat's f----ng a-s where I spend my money?
I think he meant those playing through TVG as opposed to other ADW's, not as opposed to going to the racetrack. I have to agree, I don't know why anyone would pay to bet through TVG when there are free alternatives, if TVG does in fact still charge bettors.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #14
WinterTriangle

Swale and Joanied are correct.

I also can't help but feel that ignorance about live horses (except to handicap them on paper) "may" contribute to the way the industry has been alllowed to treat horses as "disposable"..... just dumb beasts.

As an aside, humans may overrate cerebral cortex at the risk of losing other senses, like ability to tap into instinct.

A woman and her child wait for an elevator in a large office complex of medical offices. Doors open, male standing in elevator, and the woman gets an uncomfortable "gut: feeling.

But her brain rationalizes: he's dressed well, nice business haircut, he smiles, looks like he belongs, heck he may even be one of the surgeons.

So she gets on the elevator. Later becomes a crime statistic.

I can assure you that my DOGS would not get on the elevator. I've been in all kinds of situation with them, and they follow their instincts. They don't think about it, they just go with their gut. I was saved from stepping on a water mocassin last year because of that.

Why a horse may not load can be for any number of reasons, from simply not in the mood to sensing something that they perceive as dangerous to them.
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
Lasix67

Can you image where horse racing would be today without TVG or HRTV?
Lasix67 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply