Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 02-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
Teach

"The Wedding": Josh McDaniels

Years ago, my wife was friendly with one of her Springfield high school classmates. This woman (I’ll call her Brenda, not her real name) had met a recently-divorced man named David (Someone later suggested that David became attracted to Brenda "on the rebound”). In any event, David and Brenda started “going steady”; they later became engaged.

A few months later, a wedding date was set. All the arrangements had been made. Brenda’s parents spared no expense. Yet, when the day for the wedding arrived – no David. Sadly, Brenda had been jilted. She was left standing at the altar. Tears flowed down her cheeks. Her parents were livid.

In another light, offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels better hope that his future in professional football rests with the New England Patriots, and only the New England Patriots. Because, quite obviously, no other NFL team is going to take a chance of being “jilted” as the Indianapolis Colts just were.
This whole thing boggles my mind. Here’s a man who was once a head coach: the Denver Broncos. I would think that he would aspire with all his heart and soul to once again coach an NFL team. I would have to believe that he was ecstatic that his coaching quest for the “Holy Grail” of professional football -- a head coaching job -- had, once again, been realized.

But no. At the last possible moment McDaniels opts out. But why? I know we’ll hear all kinds of answers, e.g., loyalty to the Patriots, Mr. Kraft, family matters, etc.

Yet, I still have to believe there’s much, much more to than this than meets the eye. Was he promised the head coaching position with New England. When? Sooner than we think?
I have to believe that some very powerful iron-clad promises were made to Josh McDaniels to get him to stay with New England; thus, in the process, his forsaking of a position as an NFL head-coach.

Oh, as for that bride-groom David, the one that jilted my wife’s friend. We learned later that he had re-married his ex-wife.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
The impression people have always had is that McDaniels was going to succeed Bellichik when BB pulled the plug.That now may be sooner than anyone thought..Of course I've always maintained that you don't want to be the guy following the legend; you want to be the guy following the guy that is following the legend.Theory being that few can live up to the comparisons and the first guy through the door always gets the bullet..

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-07-2018, 12:32 PM   #3
swiss cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
The impression people have always had is that McDaniels was going to succeed Bellichik when BB pulled the plug.That now may be sooner than anyone thought..Of course I've always maintained that you don't want to be the guy following the legend; you want to be the guy following the guy that is following the legend.Theory being that few can live up to the comparisons and the first guy through the door always gets the bullet..
It could be that Belichick will be pulling the plug soon and McDaniels was told to stay put and not except the Indy job. I believe we'll be hearing some things in the coming days.
swiss cheese is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #4
Teach

I walked out. Straight out the front door. As my late father would say, “Faster than you can say Jack Robinson.” Never to return. Nevermore.

In the late-1980s, I had taken a leave-of-absence from teaching. I had lined up a job as a salesman for a Boston classical music station (what I knew about classical music you could fit on the head of a pin. I thought Beethoven’s “Fifth” was an alcoholic drink).

I recall meeting with the station’s sales manager. I remember telling him that my favorite classical piece was Prokofiev’s “Peter & The Wolf” (It was only one I knew).

At the time, the classical-music radio station sales manager promised me five accounts that the previous salesperson had “left behind”. I thought to myself, “At least I have something to get me started.” I knew, as they used to say, I couldn’t “hit the ground running.” Those accounts would tide me over; that is until I could establish my own accounts, or so I thought.

I come to work the following week, as my father used to say, “bright-eyed and bushy-tailed”. I was ready to embark on my sales career. Yet, what I finds out a short time later would change everything.

Unbeknownst to me, the previous salesperson gave out her accounts to her fellow salespeople (I don’t know if the sales manager had known of this, or whether he even approved; yet, it was a done-deal, a fait accompli). I was shocked to find out that those promised accounts weren’t mine, after all. Hasta la vista, Baby! I walk out.

But how does my failed experience relate to New England Patriots offensive-coordinator, Josh McDaniels? There had to be an offer on table that was proffered by The Krafts that was so good, so lucrative that McDaniels would, at the last moment, tell the Colts he wasn’t accepting their head-coaching job.

I would have to believe that everything was put in writing (from McDaniels’ standpoint, I hope that’s true). That there was a guaranteed salary. Even a penalty clause that stipulates that if McDaniels wasn’t, at some point, named the Patriots head coach, he’d receive “X” amount of dollars in severance pay (if indeed, he were let go).

Some have speculated that this gives the Krafts leverage in dealing with Bill Belichick. That Belichick can’t “hold them over a barrel”.

Yet, in any event, as I think back to my own experience as a would-be “promised accounts” salesman, I’m also reminded of my mother’s words of wisdom: “Get it in writing!”

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #5
NJ Stinks

Did Brenda ever get another "coaching" job, Teach?
Old 02-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks View Post
Did Brenda ever get another "coaching" job, Teach?
Sounds like Brenda may be more of an "interim coach".
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
reckless
Veteran

I know I'm late to this game but here's some thoughts to ponder, if so obliged ...

(1) Josh McDaniels got word that Andrew Luck career is in real danger, possibly never to return as a top QB. I did read that the Colts were very mum about Luck's condition early in the head coach-searching period. If so, it's a good reason to bail out.

(2) It is quite possible that if the Pats had won the Super Bowl, Belichick would have retired on top. The loss keeps Bill baby for one more year, and will be used to truly groom and put the final touches on Josh to take over, in the Belichick way, so to speak.

(3) Regardless of all this, and the subsequent histrionics... I have had my fill of the drama pertaining to Belichick-Brady-Kraft and the rest of these people.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: