Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #1
PowerUpPaynter

Imagine If Justify Cant Go In The Preakness...

Would that be the weakest Triple Crown race ever?

http://www.thedowneyprofile.com/more...t-lame.3111095

interesting thing is this "Scollay said she couldn't find any evidence of scratches, a skin irritation mentioned by Bob Baffert on Sunday. " So why would they say that? Whats the cover up?

food for thought
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Baffert's won 5 Derbies, 6 Preaknesses and 2 Belmonts. Oh, and one Triple Crown.

I doubt he's going to feel the need to get a hurt horse to the Preakness at any cost. So if there is a voice of reason in camp Justify, it's going to be Baffert IMO.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #3
whisperlunch

I imagine a Preakness with good odds

If Justify runs 1/9

Without justify it may be worth betting.
whisperlunch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 07:46 PM   #4
SecretAgentMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Baffert's won 5 Derbies, 6 Preaknesses and 2 Belmonts. Oh, and one Triple Crown.

I doubt he's going to feel the need to get a hurt horse to the Preakness at any cost. So if there is a voice of reason in camp Justify, it's going to be Baffert IMO.

^^^^ this

Baffert isn't Lukas. No way Baffert runs Justify if he's not in great condition.
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #5
SecretAgentMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperlunch View Post
I imagine a Preakness with good odds

If Justify runs 1/9

Without justify it may be worth betting.

IMO, if Justify runs, he will be 2/5 or 3/5 if Good Magic runs, & like 7 or 8 others run.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:57 PM   #6
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

I agree my concern is Justify scratches morning of the race and we end up with a race of 6 duds in one of the biggest races of the year. That would just stink.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #7
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
Would that be the weakest Triple Crown race ever?
Perhaps the 1982 Preakness holds that distinction. Longshot Derby winner Gato Del Sol was held out of the race because his stretch running style didn't suit Pimlico. The early winter book Derby favorite, ill-fated Timely Writer, was recovering from colic surgery and missed all the classics. Post-time Derby favorite, Wood winner Air Forbes Won, skipped the race. Santa Anita Derby winner Muttering, 5th in the Derby, went to the sidelines.

All that was left was stretch runners Laser Light, Reinvested, and Water Bank who were all undistinguished in the major preps; Aloma's Ruler who was making his 3rd start in 2 weeks after injuring an ankle in the winter; Bold Style, 16th in the Derby; allowance winner Cut Away; and the odds-on favorite Linkage, who skipped the Derby after a coming out party in a weak rendition of the Blue Grass. Cupecoy's Joy, a Robert Perez-owned New York-bred filly, was scratched.

Aloma's Ruler won it by setting a slow pace. The only horse entered in the race that won a Grade 1 race subsequently was the scratched filly, Cupecoy's Joy, which won the Acorn and Mother Goose soon after the Preakness.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 09:56 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Perhaps the 1982 Preakness holds that distinction. Longshot Derby winner Gato Del Sol was held out of the race because his stretch running style didn't suit Pimlico. The early winter book Derby favorite, ill-fated Timely Writer, was recovering from colic surgery and missed all the classics. Post-time Derby favorite, Wood winner Air Forbes Won, skipped the race. Santa Anita Derby winner Muttering, 5th in the Derby, went to the sidelines.

All that was left was stretch runners Laser Light, Reinvested, and Water Bank who were all undistinguished in the major preps; Aloma's Ruler who was making his 3rd start in 2 weeks after injuring an ankle in the winter; Bold Style, 16th in the Derby; allowance winner Cut Away; and the odds-on favorite Linkage, who skipped the Derby after a coming out party in a weak rendition of the Blue Grass. Cupecoy's Joy, a Robert Perez-owned New York-bred filly, was scratched.

Aloma's Ruler won it by setting a slow pace. The only horse entered in the race that won a Grade 1 race subsequently was the scratched filly, Cupecoy's Joy, which won the Acorn and Mother Goose soon after the Preakness.
That is a good one, but I'd go with this one mostly because that Preakness is before my time as a real fan.

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbP...AY=D&STYLE=EQB

Jazil won but a maiden race going in, and never won again. Bluegrass Cat won a really bad edition of the Haskell and was a distant second in the Travers and Derby. He was also pretty good at 2. But the rest, ugh.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 10:13 PM   #9
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
That is a good one, but I'd go with this one mostly because that Preakness is before my time as a real fan.

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbP...AY=D&STYLE=EQB

Jazil won but a maiden race going in, and never won again. Bluegrass Cat won a really bad edition of the Haskell and was a distant second in the Travers and Derby. He was also pretty good at 2. But the rest, ugh.
I was trying to keep it to the Preakness, but you open a whole can of worms with the Belmont.

The Jazil one is great, Steppenwolfer ended up as a failed steeplechaser.

However, look no further than the last 2 runnings. I guess we have to give Tapwrit a chance to come back (he's a few works away) but I don't hold out much hope. I didn't look close, but I think Lookin At Lee's allowance win on Derby day is the first win by any starter since the race.

The 2016 was dreck, too, outside of Exaggerator, who won a sloppy Haskell before tanking in both the Travers and Penn Derby just as badly as he had in the Belmont.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 10:28 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
I was trying to keep it to the Preakness, but you open a whole can of worms with the Belmont.

The Jazil one is great, Steppenwolfer ended up as a failed steeplechaser.

However, look no further than the last 2 runnings. I guess we have to give Tapwrit a chance to come back (he's a few works away) but I don't hold out much hope. I didn't look close, but I think Lookin At Lee's allowance win on Derby day is the first win by any starter since the race.

The 2016 was dreck, too, outside of Exaggerator, who won a sloppy Haskell before tanking in both the Travers and Penn Derby just as badly as he had in the Belmont.
You are right about last year except for Twisted Tom, who beat up on New York breds in three straight after the Belmont.

2016 was probably a little better but not much. Destin won an allowance the Marathon that was a G2 in name but really no better than listed on the BC undercard. Trojan Nation broke his maiden on turf and Governor Malibu won a statebred allowance.

Seeking the Soul won a few allowance races and then took the G1 Clark.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2018, 09:03 AM   #11
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #12
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
That is a great picture Andy ! That 3/4 shoe tells the whole story.

Hate to be critical but oh my, who put that back left bandage on I wonder? It looks like it was put on with a pitchfork.

That deserves a C,mon Man!
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #13
SecretAgentMan

After walking the shedrow for four days while being treated for a bruise to his left heel, Justify got back to training when he galloped about a mile-and-a-half on the Churchill Downs main track in preparation for his expected start in the May 19 Preakness Stakes (G1) at Pimlico Race Course.

"Very happy. The horse came onto the track perfect, galloped perfect, and came back very good," Barnes said. "He was ready to go back to the track. He was getting a little pushy in the stall and you could just tell it was time for him to get back out there."

Justify's status for the Preakness has been under close watch by fellow horsemen as much as his own camp as a handful of trainers have mentioned their horses as possible candidates for the 1 3/16-mile classic. Tom Amoss, trainer of Lone Sailor—the eighth place finisher in the Kentucky Derby

"I didn't see anything today that gave me any confidence that the Derby winner is going to get beat in Baltimore," Amoss declared.

"Oh I saw (Justify), and I thought he went very well. That did not surprise me," Lukas said. "I think Bob has run the best horse (in his Preakness wins), that's the first thing. He usually has the best horse. This is the second race in the series and if you're really a good one you can repeat it."

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: