Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 12-05-2021, 02:39 PM   #1
wiretowire68

Using Google sheets.

I am an ok handicapper and was just curious. I am dumb when it comes to the formulas used in Excel or in my case Google Sheets. If anybody is willing to help, I am trying to create a program and can anyone tell me which functions are the best in terms of time figures, beaten lengths in terms of a predictable mode. I realize all pace analysis has been studied to death. I just finished reading Precision by CX Wong in terms of statistical analysis and I was completely lost. I have tried downloading pps. into the google sheets but have no clue on how to format so I am able to extract the information I want.

Help???????
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #2
Dave Schwartz

Welcome to your new & exciting project!

"Build a program?"

Does that really mean building spreadsheets or do you mean actual software?

Spreadsheets are within relatively easy reach for anyone who is willing to put in the hours to learn. (Building software is a whole other magnitude.)

What to Do:
First, DO NOT ask for help.
This may seem harsh, but what you want to do is not trivial.
There is just TOO MUCH for you to learn to expect someone to teach you all of it. (And especially for free.)

(If you try to pay someone, you'd better be made of money, because once you learn to depend on them, you'll not depend on yourself.)

Instead, learn to be YOUR OWN EXPERT.

Learn how and where to FIND help.
GOOGLE: LEARNING TO USE GOOGLE SHEETS

Specifically, search for an online course - and as a beginner, you're likely to find some good ones for free.

Once you reach a minimum skill level...
It won't be as daunting as it may sound, especially if you take the time to reassess what is within you scope of achievement, considering your level of expertise.

Remember that every time your skill level goes up, it opens up the two things you need:

1. An understanding of what you are capable of
and
2. An understanding of what new things you need to find out.

Once you have reached a point where you're able to build a few sheets that kind of/sort of do a few things that you want, reach out to me and I will give you some FREE conversation to help with direction.

Note: I am NOT offering tech support.

Good luck on your exciting new project!

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #3
wiretowire68

thanks

Thanks Dave, I have already taken on the project. It is an incredible amount of data you have to deal with and an incredible amount time to input. It is not like I have discovered the re-inventing of the wheel in terms of handicapping, valuecapping and as you have done in your software, added the incredible amount of variables/factors/angles that go into the process of handicapping a horse race. Then on top of that, deal with the fact that they are animals running different distances under different circumstances all within relevant times with the biggest difference being the level of competition they run at and the people that are in charge of their care and the business that it is.

I have taken this on as a choice of trying how to learn how to program these myself as oppose to others views whether they have been sucessful or not. I do prescribe to Valuecapper and Michael Pizzolla for the last 3 years and as he states very eloquently that his style is that of a few bets of the formula he prescribes. I have read many books on handicapping, I have used the DRF, Brisnet, Equibase, tried Betmix etc. This is not about making money or but starting to have a different view of Mr. Pizzollas work in terms that if you do take his view of above random. His software picks winners but what I have noticed more and more is the analysis in terms of above the line below the line that things are missed and that you have to follow his thought process in terms of waiting.

Easier said than done if you are a hardcore lover of reading and finding the things that help you discover for that particular race that makes it right. His early, neutral, or late bias for me fails at times and I have found it boring in terms of figuring things outmyself. I am using spreadsheets right now just to experiment with everyone elses numbers which have been used. I just enjoy seeing whether my ideas or input comes up with similar results of terms of consensus. As far as the gambling part of it, well I will say I agree whole heartedly, if your an action junkie, then there are too many races to consider making profit at it. I have a hard time getting away from the degenerate part of it, so this is more of as you say an undertaking of learning. However, having math skills and the patience to do this another thing. Otherwise, as you say, pay someone or take the time and do it yourself. Thus, a conundrum.\

Chuck L.
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2021, 04:23 PM   #4
Dave Schwartz

Chuck,

IMHO, paying someone to write software, is really not an option.

Exception is if the party already has an existing software that uses your desired import.

As an example, a few months back I a calls asking me to write them a "simple program."

All it needed to do was import BRIS data, create all the necessary FPS calculations (considering par times), allow them to select pacelines, build models, etc., etc. etc.

That person offered me $500 for the job.

I told them that they did not understand the complexity of that which they were asking, whereupon he raised the bid to $1,500 but added 4 or 5 more things to the list.

The man was incredulous when I told him he was WAY off base, and he said, "Well, at least we're negotiating. Give a me a number."

When I said $50,000 he about fainted.
And even then, I would pass on the opportunity.

Dave
PS: Michael Pizzolla should have resource suggestions - perhaps even someone who has already written what you need.

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 12-05-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #5
MJC922

I would have to know something more about your skill sets to make a more informed opinion but just starting out green IMO someone would need to pretty much have a sickness/obsession to get anywhere at all with it. Sorry those are just the facts.

With that said, to start you'll obviously want a source for comma-delimited files that you can import into a spreadsheet. That's going to be step one, find a source for the CSVs. If you want to do something useful with times you can buy pars from Dave, I did so in the early years. Put them into one of the sheets and do some vlookups etc. Those would be some basic building blocks to start with.

I don't know about google sheets as far as code goes. I would recommend Excel because of VBA, eventually you'll almost surely need to code. Plus if you need to tie it in with a back-end database then Access is fantastic to go along with it. I had to move to SQL server years ago due to size limits with Access but remember really hating to do it.

Last edited by MJC922; 12-05-2021 at 04:35 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #6
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Rest in Peace to Raybo! His program which used excel I believe is still available for download.
https://alldataexcel.weebly.com/
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2021, 06:02 PM   #7
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure View Post
Rest in Peace to Raybo! His program which used excel I believe is still available for download.
Just a couple of days ago someone told me we'd lost Ray.

I was unaware.
He was a fine man.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:52 PM   #8
JustRalph
Just another Facist

There are too many good programs out there to go thru writing your own. Or use a spreadsheet

Spend the money on a good program and it will do much more than you could learn in 5 years.

Don’t under value your time. It’s one thing most people do. Pay yourself back in time
Old 12-06-2021, 07:38 AM   #9
vegasone

May want to look at open office/ libre office for an excel (almost) compatible spreadsheet
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2021, 08:30 AM   #10
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
There are too many good programs out there to go thru writing your own. Or use a spreadsheet

Spend the money on a good program and it will do much more than you could learn in 5 years.

Don’t under value your time. It’s one thing most people do. Pay yourself back in time
Exactly, JR. I think people who have never written any code underestimate the challenge of programming and how time consuming it is.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:48 AM   #11
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure View Post
I, too, did not know Raybo passed. That's very sad.

I did briefly look at his spreadsheet. It's actually good work. I just wanted to go in a much different direction. But it is a great way to get a huge jump start on using a spreadsheet for handicapping. It is an incredible resource.

I am a retired programmer. I have developed my own handicapping software. I can tell you that it is a never ending process. And, as several others have stated, it requires far more time and far more knowledge than can be imagined.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #12
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone View Post
May want to look at open office/ libre office for an excel (almost) compatible spreadsheet
VegasOne,

100%!

Open Office would be my choice over GSheets.
I question whether or not GS is really good enough for a project as in-depth as horse handicapping.

I'd still prefer the MS version though, because there are so many free resources for answers to questions.

By comparison, OpenOffice has pretty good support - especially for a free product.

The biggest challenge in converting from Excel are the functions that need to be rewritten. Especially "IfError..."

Your thoughts on that, Vegas?
Old 12-06-2021, 06:24 PM   #13
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
VegasOne,

100%!

Open Office would be my choice over GSheets.
I question whether or not GS is really good enough for a project as in-depth as horse handicapping.

I'd still prefer the MS version though, because there are so many free resources for answers to questions.

By comparison, OpenOffice has pretty good support - especially for a free product.

The biggest challenge in converting from Excel are the functions that need to be rewritten. Especially "IfError..."

Your thoughts on that, Vegas?
So I agree with you because I have done it, the late Raybo did as well with panache. So the trick is to see when it is good as it gets, then start something else.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2021, 08:15 PM   #14
vegasone

Well, I still use an old copy of excel, but do any analysis/handicapping in Visual BASIC and “print” into Excel for formatting etc. Would easily work with Open Office but I work with what I have until forced to change, which will probably be soon.

Last edited by vegasone; 12-06-2021 at 08:16 PM.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2021, 08:31 PM   #15
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
So I agree with you because I have done it, the late Raybo did as well with panache. So the trick is to see when it is good as it gets, then start something else.
When my stuff becomes as good as it gets, that's when I know that I am fooling myself.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: